Pushing

Hugh Neilson

Question

Generally' date=' a character can only Push Powers that cost END. They cannot Push powers that never cost END, that are bought to 0 END or that have charges (but can push powers bought to 1/2 END).[/quote']

Two questions which arise from this. They're both in the realm of GM option, I suspect, but I wanted to get your take.

First, the word "Generally" implies, to me, that exceptions exist. No exceptions are noted in the rules. Is this intended to provide the GM with the option, for example, of alowing a 0 END power to be pushed (and to cost the usual 10 END to push 10 points) if this is in the interests of dramatic sense and consistent with the power's SFX?

Second, one construct not mentioned in this section is the END reserve. I can see this going either way. On the one hand, there's not a lot of difference between spending real END and spending reserve END. On the other hand, the character is not spending END, he is spending Reserve, and he did get a pretty decent price break on that Reserve, plus the ability to keep, draw on, and even recover, that END if KO'd, so inability to Push seems a reasonable drawback for the benefits.

On the third hand [Extra Limbs, AP 5 points, only for complicating analyses -1.5, RP 2], being able to squeeze more juice out of a giant Duracell because it's really important seems much less realistic than drawing on one's own inner reserves, both of which could be END reserves, which seems a case for interpretation based on SFX, although I think in that case, I'd want to apply an advantage or limitation because the END reserve deviates from the default (maybe it's a -0 in my game, where pushing isn't common anyway).

All that narrative just boils down to "Does the default END reserve allow pushing to enhance powers which draw END from it?"

1 answer to this question

Re: Pushing

1. When I use the word “generally,” you can generally read that as meaning “This is how I think things should normally be done, but I know I can’t always think of everything and there may be times the GM wants to allow an exception.” Beyond that I’m not willing to comment specifically; if I were, I would have done so in the text. ;)

2. Just to make sure everyone’s clear, the question is: “Can a character Push powers that draw END from an Endurance Reserve, rather than his personal END?” The answer to that is that yes, he generally can, but the GM may forbid him to do so if allowing this would be inappropriate or seems abusive.