Objects of Opportunity

Hugh Neilson

Question

OK, I've tried the FAQ, qand I think nI know what I would rule. Can you comment on the following?

Q: Can a character make a Half Move, Grab an object, and then Throw that object at another character, and if so what rolls are required?

A: He can make the Half Move, and he can Grab and Throw the object. However, since the Grab and Throw require an Attack Action, that’s going to end his Phase. He can’t make a second attack by throwing the object at someone — he can only throw the object not as an attack, to damage it itself.

The character must make an Attack Roll to hit the object, which has a DCV based on its size (5ER 382). Standard modifiers, like the Range Modifier, apply.

The GM may make an exception to this rule if he wishes, but doing so may make Grab And Throw a far too attractive tactic for some characters. In this case, the character has to make a second Attack Roll against the target at whom he’s throwing the object.

Q1: OK, if I want to Throw the object, I can use a half phase to Grab it, but the followup Throw that comes free against a Grabbed target cannot target anyone else. If I want to throw the object at something (or someone) else, I need to wait for my next phase. So if that Brick wants to Grab a Buick and Throw it at that pesky Martial Artist, he has to spend one phase to pick the Buick up, and a second to Throw it, based on the above. is this correct?

Q2: Let's assume the Martial Artist is in HTH range. It seems reasonable to apply the same rules that the Brick must Grab the Buick to pick it up, which is an attack action. He could Throw the Buick, but he can't aim it at anyone. He could Squeeze the Buick, but that kind of defeats the purpose of picking it up. If he wants to swing the Buick at that Martial Artist, he's just going to have to wait until his next phase.

Now, I suppose nothing stop the, say, 5 SPD Brick reserving his action in one phase, say Phase 3, until 1 DEX in Phase 4, so he can pick the Buick then and swing it on his DEX in Phase 5. But I would say he can't Grab the weapon of opportunity AND swing with it in a single phase, as that would constitute two separate attack actions. Is that correct?

Q3: Assuming the Brick paid for no weapon familiarities, does he take -3 OCV for using a Buick as a weapon, given he neither paid points for his handy Buick, nor has a Weapon Familiarity with it? Or does any improvised weapon, however huge and unbalanced, used as a bludgeon fall under the Everyman WF: Club? [This one I'm unsure of - given the level of advantage a Brick gets from swinging large objects, making him suck up the OCV penalty doesn't seem unreasonable, but I can see the case for "a club is a club" too.]

1 answer to this question