Tear gas grenades in Dark Champions vs. Champions

CBikle

In our recent Champions game, the tear gas grenade from Dark Champions (p.255) was implemented by one of the goons we were fighting.

The design of this was different from previous Champions models (like the tear gas models shown in Gadgets And Gear[ p.20 and 41]) in that it was a straight flash attack without the NND element). In other words, gas masks (LS: self-contained), provides no defense vs. the effect. (it does have the "Real Weapon" limit, but that doesn't necessarily address the issue).

My question is this: Does anyone know offhand if there is/was errata on this or is this the desired build for Dark Champions ?

Re: Tear gas grenades in Dark Champions vs. Champions

In our recent Champions game, the tear gas grenade from Dark Champions (p.255) was implemented by one of the goons we were fighting.

The design of this was different from previous Champions models (like the tear gas models shown in Gadgets And Gear[ p.20 and 41]) in that it was a straight flash attack without the NND element). In other words, gas masks (LS: self-contained), provides no defense vs. the effect. (it does have the "Real Weapon" limit, but that doesn't necessarily address the issue).

My question is this: Does anyone know offhand if there is/was errata on this or is this the desired build for Dark Champions.

I don't think it's wrong, per se, it's just a different build. There is nothing inherently wrong with the build, but an appropriate SFX would cancel it's effects regardless of the actual limitations on the build.

For instance, if a character is encased in powered armour, he would take no effect from the teary, drippiness.

Re: Tear gas grenades in Dark Champions vs. Champions

I think the SFX have to take the lead in adjudicating this issue. NND or no, if its tear gas a properly sealed gas mask should neutralize it. I think NND is more correct for modelling the power, but it doesn't rule out this particuliar build (though I think relying too heavily on FX to solve problems that can be eliminated with different, more appropriate mechanical choices isn't the most desireably design choice).