Stacking Damage (HA/HKA)

Thia Halmades

Question

Hey Steve.

First, a word of caution. Beware the Fiery Habenero Doritos. They are violent, and they want to get revenge on you for eating them. Consider yourself warned. Now, my question!

Tuesday night during the Sci-Fi campaign, the PCs were fighting off a gigantic armored horror of a monster, 25' (4 Hexes) tall, taller than any mech, and one of the PCs is a Half Giant with 3 levels of growth - he gets up to full size to try and go toe to toe with it.

At full size, he has 35 STR (7d6) and a 4d6 Martial Strike, for a total of 11d6 damage. He isn't doing much, though, so he grabs one of the Mecha weapons, a 'Knuckle Bomb' - 4 shaped charges that add 4d6 HKA to his attack if the charge is detonated.

In addition to that, we'll assume the current build of the Duster adds +6d6 HA damage - so what's the final damage done?

At the time I hadn't used the +6d6 - I had only included the HKA and figured since they were different damage types, the final damage would be 11d6 HA plus 4d6 HKA. Given all these variables, what would you say the correct final damage is, and why?

1 answer to this question

Re: Stacking Damage (HA/HKA)

Depends on how the attack's built. If the Knuckle Bomb is built as a straight HKA, he only does the HKA (+STR) damage, not the HKA and the HA, unless you let him combine the two as a multiple-power attack. If the Bomb is built as some sort of Linked HA + HKA, then of course he'd do both attacks at once (but they'd apply to defenses separately).