[HELP] Trying to figure out a spell/power

Bik Britelite

Okay, I am working on a spell power for my character and I am having some trouble wrapping my mind around how to build it. So . . . off to the forums for some advice.

I am making a dispel power that is activated by using a charge. Premise is that I harvest a soul (kill them using my scythe) and then the soul is stored in the scythe until I use it attempting a dispel.

I just can't figure out how to make the charge. Other than setting a disad, extremely difficult to obtain, I can't decide if the Fuel Charge is the way to go.

Any ideas on how to build this?

Just an FYI

Disads I am using

No Range (I tap the butt of the haft on the item or person I wish to dispell)

OAF: Scythe

Incantation (basically releasing the soul to activate the dispel)

The rest is where I am getting a little confused. Basically the charge and how to do it.

Re: [HELP] Trying to figure out a spell/power

Try it with an END Reserve. The REC on the END Reserve is bought as "Only After Killing".

This was one of my first thoughts.

It could be done with charges, however.

If the scythe can only store a limited number of souls (1, 3 or whatever) then you might look at Recoverable Charges instead (it'd require a bit of GM's pernmission, but as Recoverable Charges are normally fully recoverable after combat, I imagine the need for killing folk to recover the charge makes up or the occasional in-combat recovery).

Fuel Charges aren't gonna do what you'd want... they are intended for Constant powers rather than Instant ones.

Try it with an END Reserve. The REC on the END Reserve is bought as "Only After Killing".

The only problem I see with that is equating a "Soul" to END. My 15d6 dispel without any power modifiers is already at 45 points. So then a "Soul" is 4 END? Buy a 40 END batter and have enough for 10 dispels?

It could be done with charges, however.

If the scythe can only store a limited number of souls (1, 3 or whatever) then you might look at Recoverable Charges instead . . .

So in this case I am setting a limit on how much the scythe can hold, thus 7-8 charges is a -0 Disadvantage right?

So in this case I am setting a limit on how much the scythe can hold' date=' thus 7-8 charges is a -0 Disadvantage right?[/quote']

Correct.

You COULD drop that down another step on the chart to 5-6 charges and also make them Boostable Charges, which I could see fitting the effect well, and would give you some ability to Dispel larger effects (assuming you can fit releasing more than one soul into your concept of the SFX, of course)

Thanks for the help gang. Its amazing how I can look at something for so long and still not see it, but the moment someone points it out, the fuzzies leave and its all clear. Boostable charges it is. This I like, may even add visible to the power disadvantage for a scream of the souls being wrenched and used in a very unpleasant manner.

Thanks again everyone!

:thumbup:

Thanks for the help gang. Its amazing how I can look at something for so long and still not see it, but the moment someone points it out, the fuzzies leave and its all clear. Boostable charges it is. This I like, may even add visible to the power disadvantage for a scream of the souls being wrenched and used in a very unpleasant manner.

Thanks again everyone!

:thumbup:

You should go ahead and post your updated build. That way, if there's any fine tuning it needs, folk can make suggestions, and if it's totally perfect, then folk can steal *ahem* borrow it for their own games ;)

You can define the difficulty of recovering a Charge.

Scythe of Dispelling Dispel: Dispel Magic 20d6, any Magic Spell one at a time (+1/4) (75 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (Must Kill Someone With Scythe of Dispelling); -1 3/4), OAF (Scythe of Dispelling; -1)

You can define the difficulty of recovering a Charge.

Scythe of Dispelling Dispel: Dispel Magic 20d6, any Magic Spell one at a time (+1/4) (75 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (Must Kill Someone With Scythe of Dispelling); -1 3/4), OAF (Scythe of Dispelling; -1)

Is that a 5ER bit I'm missing due to my lack of a modern edition, or does it show up in a genre book somewhere?

Not doubting you in the least, because I coulda swore there was a rule for it, but failed my Hero system research skill roll.

Is that a 5ER bit I'm missing due to my lack of a modern edition, or does it show up in a genre book somewhere?

Not doubting you in the least, because I coulda swore there was a rule for it, but failed my Hero system research skill roll.

Its in HERO Designer. I'd have to check later to see where it actually originated from.