Night Watch/Day Watch Hero

Vestnik

I wasn't sure what forum to put this under, but I guess the Night Watch books/movies are basically urban fantasy, so I'll put it here.

Taking off on a thread in NGD, it strikes me that the Night Watch/Day Watch films would provide an interesting setting for a modern-day fantasy campaign (as transplanted to the country and city of your choice, if one doesn't care for/know enough about Moscow). Has anybody thought of doing something like that?

I think Night Watch field agents would probably be built on almost as many points as supers -- they've got a lot of crazy powers.

Re: Night Watch/Day Watch Hero

I had a long running campaign something like this, using the old Nightlife game setting from Stellar Games, as well as the GURPS Voodoo, GURPS Cabal, and GURPS Black Ops books.

I'm not sure how many points the characters should be built on, but then I only saw the movie rather than reading the books. In the movie, the main character's "powers" were pretty trivial for the first hour or so. Are the characters more powerful in the books?

I had a long running campaign something like this, using the old Nightlife game setting from Stellar Games, as well as the GURPS Voodoo, GURPS Cabal, and GURPS Black Ops books.

I'm not sure how many points the characters should be built on, but then I only saw the movie rather than reading the books. In the movie, the main character's "powers" were pretty trivial for the first hour or so. Are the characters more powerful in the books?

It varies a lot depending on the amount of power the character has been taking in. At the end of NW (I don't know if it made it to the movie, or got stuck into Day watch), the main character summons a hurricane. But it's explicit that he has far exceeded his usual "permitted" capabilities (he's been sucking up energy from lots of passersby).

They also all have the ability to enter the Twilight, which I guess would be XDM of some sort.

For some reason, this computer won't let me edit my posts, so count this as an edit:

No, I misremembered, he didn't summon the hurricane, it was already there. However it was implied that he was pretty freaking powerful at that point.

They've also got all kinds of Mind Control and memory-erasing powers.

Entering the Gloom was definitely a sort of XDM; it looked like a slightly weaker version of Enter the Speed Zone. So, I guess your suggestion that they're pretty high point total is accurate. Maybe most of their points are in the Enter the Speed Zone power and other abilities that all Others have. Resistant defenses seem to be pretty low, and characteristics all look to be in Normal Human range (not even Heroic) for Light Others.

Again, I haven't read the books, so things might have been higher power there.

Maybe build characters as 50 point normals (25+25) and then add an Others package and perks for another 150+ points or so?

Maybe build characters as 50 point normals (25+25) and then add an Others package and perks for another 150+ points or so?

I think you'd need to individualize them a bit more than you can do with that -- Light Ones are subdivided into magicians and shapeshifters (at least), and Dark Ones into magicians, witches/warlocks, shapeshifters, vampires, and incubi/succubi. (In the books at any rate.)

I think you'd need to individualize them a bit more than you can do with that -- Light Ones are subdivided into magicians and shapeshifters (at least)' date=' and Dark Ones into magicians, witches/warlocks, shapeshifters, vampires, and incubi/succubi. (In the books at any rate.)[/quote']

Fair enough. How about a selection of Others templates, one for each type? Build your Talented Normal self, then add on the Other type, then tweak to taste?

Starting with the 50 point normal and then building up from there would hopefully encourage players to stick to the ordinary people with odd hidden powers feel of the film.

The campaign would be pretty dark, on the whole. Let's not forget the whole fact that everybody is monitoring everybody else for violations of the noninterference treaty. You could have people earning Perks to perform Level 4 and Level 3 interventions, etc. Then again, maybe that's what our FBI, CIA, and cops do anyway...

It would be an intriguing campaign, but I would think that you would have to have characters that like to think ahead and enjoy politics and chess, and don't mind being pawns most of the time!

The campaign would be pretty dark, on the whole. Let's not forget the whole fact that everybody is monitoring everybody else for violations of the noninterference treaty. You could have people earning Perks to perform Level 4 and Level 3 interventions, etc. Then again, maybe that's what our FBI, CIA, and cops do anyway...

It would be an intriguing campaign, but I would think that you would have to have characters that like to think ahead and enjoy politics and chess, and don't mind being pawns most of the time!

You could have the characters not be members of either Watch, or not be registered and "rogue" Dark or Light Ones, in which case they'd spend their time running from the Watches. Kind of a "mages on the run from the law" arrangement.

On the build side, it strikes me that these guys are pretty durable. A Dark Witch gets repeatedly mauled by a were-tiger and survives without really that much injury.

You could have the characters not be members of either Watch, or not be registered and "rogue" Dark or Light Ones, in which case they'd spend their time running from the Watches. Kind of a "mages on the run from the law" arrangement.

On the build side, it strikes me that these guys are pretty durable. A Dark Witch gets repeatedly mauled by a were-tiger and survives without really that much injury.

True, but it's hard to be on the run if everyone, Dark, Light, and Twilight, are hunting you. Not likely that you'd last long unless you had your own people on the inside of each organization. And how long would they stay on your side?