Need Resources for a Pulp Space Opera

Shaddakim

Hey,

I'm in the process of putting together a Pulp Space Opera campaign and could use some insight on resources. I'm going to borrow the look and feel heavily from the Rocketmen game (in fact, I'll be using it for the space combat system), but need more information as to what tropes I need to include and things I need to consider. The Pulp Hero book has some pointers for the Pulp side of things, but very little for the space opera side.

My questions are:

1) Does Space Hero have anything I can use?

2) Any recommendations on other resources?

Thank you ahead of time.

Re: Need Resources for a Pulp Space Opera

Well, my first recommendation would be a well-thought-out article from Digital Hero #5, "Ray Guns and Rocketships" by Leah Watts, discussing the major conventions and flavor of pulp-era space adventures, and providing solid advice on how to utilize them in a RPG context, with particular HERO examples. Much of that article is available as a free sample on this webpage.

I also recommend an excellent pulp HERO fan website, "The Empire Club," based on the adventuring organization of that name from the classic Hero Games pulp game Justice Incorporated. You'll find the website here. It includes extensive, colorful narrative logs of the group's campaign, which can be accessed from the linked entitled "The Amazing Adventure of the Empire Club." Episodes 23-29 are a lengthy space-based adventure reminiscent of Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers, and should provide good inspiration.

I hope that's helpful. :)

Re: Need Resources for a Pulp Space Opera

Well' date=' my first recommendation would be a well-thought-out article from [i']Digital Hero[/i] #5, "Ray Guns and Rocketships" by Leah Watts, discussing the major conventions and flavor of pulp-era space adventures, and providing solid advice on how to utilize them in a RPG context, with particular HERO examples. Much of that article is available as a free sample on this webpage.

I found that back in the day, but forgot I had it. Thank you for the reminder.

I also recommend an excellent pulp HERO fan website, "The Empire Club," based on the adventuring organization of that name from the classic Hero Games pulp game Justice Incorporated. You'll find the website here. It includes extensive, colorful narrative logs of the group's campaign, which can be accessed from the linked entitled "The Amazing Adventure of the Empire Club." Episodes 23-29 are a lengthy space-based adventure reminiscent of Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers, and should provide good inspiration.

I hope that's helpful. :)

I'll go check that out. Again, thank you for the suggestions.

Reps to follow!

EDIT: Oops! I need to spread some more rep before I can rep you a second time.