Leaping, Move-Through and Size Alteration

Deadman

Question

I have a size alteration character who uses a rather powerful attack in somewhat dire situations and I always wondered of the "legitimate" ruling on it. The character has both Shrinking and Growth in a multipower and when shrunk has an enormous leap (bought outside the multipower but linked to Shrinking). I will state the actual numbers to make this easier to follow.

Fortress: Spd 4

Phase 3: Shrinks to his smallest size (9 inches) and uses concealment to hide

Phase 6: Leaps at a villain using 35" of leaping performing a Move Through, just before impact he shuts off his Shrinking and Grows to full height (80 Str) and lands a whalloping move through on the villain.

As far as I know, none of this is specifically against the rules. In the phase in which he attacks he is performing a 0 phase manuever (changing slots in a multipower) and a full phase manuever (move through).

What think you Steve?

Thanks,

Tom

1 answer to this question

Re: Leaping, Move-Through and Size Alteration

That's illegal. Activating or de-activating a power is a Zero Phase Action (5ER 103). Zero Phase Actions are performed at the beginning of a Phase or after performing a Half Phase Action, but not after an Attack Action (5ER 358). Once your character makes the Attack Action of beginning a Move Through, he can no longer activate or deactivate his powers... so he's got to stay Shrunk.

But of course, "book illegality" is irrelevant if the GM chooses to allow it. Or you could pay Character Points for an ability that works the same way -- figure out how much more damage you do with this "maneuver" than an ordinary Move Through while Shrunk, then buy that many dice of HA that only works with Move Through (and has other appropriate Limitations) and define the special effect as "I use my Growth right before impact!". :eek:;)