Musings on the Bat Team

Mark Rand

Re: Musings on the Bat Team

I'm still adjusting the Bat Team's rogues gallery. Here's the latest version.

The Joker and his henchwoman, Harlequin, use circus clown/court jester skills in their heists. Sometimes they kill, sometimes they don't.

The Penguin is mobster with an arctic-themed nightclub as a front.

The Riddler, with his henchwomen Echo and Query, pull off high-tech heists after leaving riddling clues behind.

Poison Ivy, aided by henchwomen Holly and Eva Green, are involved in various crimes.

Catwoman is a classy cat burglar who pulls off sophisticated jobs.

Any chance that Kathy Harrison is a deep cover for Catwoman? :D

No.

I may drop Kathy Harrison and the nurse and create four new characters to replace them. They will arrive, moments after Bruce is unmasked, in a TARDIS that resembles a telephone booth.

The Time Lord has three female companions, a nurse and a flight attendant, both from the 1960s, and a cat burglar. All three have been exposed to advanced technology and are comfortable with it.

Catwoman has a thread upcomming, as do the Time Lord's associates.

I've also given some thought to using Batman Begins as the movie inspiration. The campaign would start six months after the movie. Here are some of the basics.

Lucius Fox has figured out Bruce's secret and talked him into accepting his daughter, Alicia, as his engineer. Although she sometimes plays the part of a spoiled, dumb, self-indulgent woman who drives around town in a black Lamborhini Murcielago, she isn't. Alicia has a masters in electronics engineering and is a member of Mensa International. She also rollerblades, drives a candy apple-red Lamborghini Diablo in races sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America, and is a highly-skilled gymnast.

More to come on this.

For this, I'm using the CU names for various federal agencies. Additionally, Batman is meeting with Lucius and Alicia in a dark alley. While Lucius is wearing a suit, Alicia is dressed like a cat burglar. While talking with Batman, she has rolled her ski mask up.

"I was contacted by a representative of the federal government," Lucius stated. "She recognized the Tumbler and wants to talk to you."

"Where is she?" Batman asked.

"Around the corner, that way," Lucius replied, pointing.

"I'll see her," Batman said. Turning, he added, "You should stay, Alicia. Don't let her see you."

"I'll do my best," she said, masking herself.

Batman smiled as Alicia slipped into the shadow of a dumpster and knelt. "Ready."

Lucius introduced Agent Kate Harper of The Department of Homeland Security to Batman, then stood aside. Kate, a well-dressed African-American woman showed Batman her ID. He nodded, then she said, "There's someone by the dumpster."

"I know," Batman said. "You have good eyes."

"I spent four years doing black bag jobs for the CIA," Kate said. "Since we wanted the underworld to think I was a real cat burglar, I pulled, with agency consent, an occasional burglary that had nothing to do with the agency."

"Go on," Batman said.

"On my last unofficial burglary, I raided the house of one of Senator Roark's friends. While in it, I found information that implicated that friend in terrorist activities. Roark was furious. He wanted my head. To keep that from happening, I was transferred to DHS."

"Interesting," Batman said.

"Thank you," Kate said. "Roark decided to do his best to force you to accept a federal liaison in order to keep the GCPD off your tail. Of course, he had the job given to a portly, and incompetent, klutz who doesn't understand technology more recent than 1970. Fortunately, I'm assigned to you as a representative of the DHS."

A quick note: Batman, at this point, is in his first year and is getting federal sanction because a corrupt politician wants to be able to keep an eye on him. Back to the story.

"How will you and the other liaison get your mail and other things?" Batman asked.

"With your permission, Jason Blood will create a gate linking his basement and the Batcave," Kate replied. "Unless you decide otherwise, only the portly idiot and I can use it."

"I see," Batman said, taking her card. "Ill let you know."

"Good enough," Kate said as she left.

"I'll see you two tomorrow," Batman said to Lucius and Alicia.

"Fine," Lucius said before they headed out, too. Batman headed to the Batmobile for the drive home.

On his way home, Batman drove onto the drawbridge that crossed the mouth of Rock Harbor. As he did, he caught sight of the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile in the rearview mirror. Hearing signal horns, he looked left and right. Ships were heading toward the bridge, which meant that the operator would probably be raising it.

The operator turned flashing lights on the barrier arms on, and announced that the bridge was going to open. She then turned on an electronic horn, flipped the traffic lights to red, then started lowering the barriers. As the last barrier descended, two high-powered sports cars were heard, heading for the bridge.

'Street racers,' Batman thought. They headed for the bridge as it began to raise. Although they smashed through the barrier, they didn't smash through the bridge decking. The authorities were called and the cars towed and the drivers arrested.