[Character] Subterran - Brick. EC. Twist.

Comic

In light of current discussions of Bricks and EC's, SPD and Speed a little thought experiment. A tribute with a twist, since I like twists.

There are a few things in this build I seldom use, so if people want to advise, correct, or comment, that's why he's posted. I'm also uncertain of how well this character's powers would work. How would you use the teleport, meant to simulate running so fast the eye cannot follow? Does the mega-scale work, or should I reduce it to 5" Teleport with +1/2 advantage, to gain Safe Teleport as well?

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][b]HighGuard (the Subterran) - James Adams[/b][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b][u]VAL[/u] [u]CHA[/u] [u]Cost[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]Roll[/u] [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 75 STR  65   10   24- HTH Damage 15d6 800+t [7][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 32 DEX  66   10   15- OCV 11/ DCV 11[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 39 CON  58   10   14-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 BODY  -   10   11-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 13 INT   3   10   12- PER Roll 12-; Latent senses as yet untapped[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 11 EGO   2   10   11- ECV: 4[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 PRE   -   10   12- PRE Attack: 2.5d6[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 COM   -   10   11-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 16 PD    1   15       22 PD (11 rPD)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 ED    2    8       16 ED (11 rED)[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  5 SPD   8    4.2     Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 23 REC   -   23 [/font]
[font=Courier New]| 68 END  -5   78       Grew up in alien setting, unbalanced metabolism.[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 68 STUN  -   68[/font]
[font=Courier New]+ [/font]
[font=Courier New]|  6 RUN   -    6"      x2 Ncbt [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  2 SWIM  -    2"      [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 LEAP  -   15"      15" forward, 8" upward [7][/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]CHA Cost: 200[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  5  5 rPD/5 rED Damage Resistance: Subterran tough flesh 5 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15  EC 'Subterspeed' 15 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15  A) FF 6 pts Resistant Energy/Flash/Mental/Physical/Power Defense 30 AP [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  5   Heal 1d6 Body (+3/2: Reset/Turn; +1/2: 0 END; +1/2: Persistent; +1/2: Regrow Limbs; -1/2: Self Only; -3/2: Extra time 1 Turn, Can't take actions) 30 AP [0][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10  C) 10" Teleport (+1/2: +1/4 Variable Adv.; -1/2: Must Travel Between) 30 AP [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]POWERS Cost: 50[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Acting EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- AK: Home City EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Climbing EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Computer Programming EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Concealment EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Conversation EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Deduction EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- KS: Farming EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -  4 pts LS: English EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Paramedics EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -  11- PS: Mild-mannered Reporter EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Shadowing EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -   8- Stealth EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  -  TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 0[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]Talents[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 0 All Talents, Latent[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]Talents Cost: 0[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] PERKS[/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 0 Normal job, home, vehicle of a normal[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]Perks Cost: 0[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Val[/u] [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Ma Billie Johnson-Adams 8- (Incompetent Normal) widow trying to keep the farm[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Lo Loew 8- (Incompetent Normal) opportunistic co-worker/HighGuard fangirl at The Patriot[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Hunted: Brick 8- (Mo Pow, Harsh)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harsh)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Psych. Lim.: Compulsive Liar (Very Common, Moderate)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 20 Psych. Lim.: Vindictive (Very Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Psych. Lim.: Compelled to Seem Virtuous (Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Rival, Lo (Superior Professional)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Social Lim.: Secret ID: James Adams, reporter, The Patriot (Frequently, Major)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Obligations - turn in stories to The Patriot (Occasion, Minor)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Rep - HighGuard>Pure-hearted Hero; Adams>Mild-mannered reporter 8-[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]Base Pts: 100[/font]

[font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 250[/font]

Quote: I make twelve commitments to the American people...

Origin

Harrison G. Adams and his wife Billie Johnson-Adams were a childless couple returning to their Roosevelt-county farm (the old Gent place) when their truck hit a bump. Getting out to see if he'd damaged his vehicle, Harry discovered a screw-tipped metal tube in the road big enough to hold an infant. Which it did. The Adams always hoped to have a child, and raised this one as their own, keeping the secret even from him.

Over the years, little James picked up the down-home values of Ma and Pa Adams -- always cover up the truth, always seem virtuous, and never let anyone tell you you've done wrong no matter what. As it turns out, these were the perfect traits for a reporter, and James was accepted as a summer intern for The Patriot, where he was made assistant to Lo Loew, an opportunistic reporter with some seniority, but not enough to feel so secure in her job she won't do everything she can to torpedo any threat. But James needed the job, to help Ma Adams keep the farm afloat. Not that the Adams would admit that.

So it was that Lo sent James off on a wild goose chase while she was cornering sources at a press conference. James ran smack into a VIPER tactical squad sent to capture key people and equipment at the conference. And they had Brick with them. So when James, trying to seem virtuous, stepped up and told them they would have to get past him if they wanted to get inside, He ended up imbedded in a wall three rooms over.

James wasn't like most farm boys. Well, except farm boys found as infants in mysterious metal tubes. He has the metabolism and highly evolved physiology of the Subterran branch of humanity -- cave-lurkers who delved the darkness before aquatic man sprang gills, and thus -- who gained phenomenal strength and toughness through mutation exposed to underground radiation over the generations. Raised under the pure energy of the surface sun, James was gifted with Subterspeed, and could throw off the worst the likes of Brick could dish out.

The Subterran intern regained consciousness just as VIPER were cornering their hostages at the press conference. James improvised a costume from a cyan lab coverall with magenta rubber gloves and boots. Subterspeed made his brown hair darken to black and facial features a golden blur, unrecognizable by even close acquaintances.

The fight was very short. Far stronger than a thousand men, so fast he seemed to disappear from one spot and reappear at another, the new hero easily beat the villains in front of a dozen reporters. Subterran -- calling himself 'HighGuard' -- milked the press coverage for all it was worth, his knowledge of what reporters need for a story allowing him to present himself in his best possible light. He had total vindication for his injuries from Brick, played up to the media as 'justice, a victory for truth and the American way.'

Subterran's compulsion for vindication did lead him to overdo his beating of Brick, and Brick, when recovered, decided to look for payback. VIPER, naturally, wants what 'HighGuard' is keeping from them -- he did, after all, imply that he knew what they were after and they couldn't get it from him, during the fight and interview afterwards. It was a lie, of course.

Re: [Character] Subterran - Brick. EC. Twist.

Updated, because too transparent a tribute can sometimes be .. distributive?

Also, I have questions on the build, in particular the EC.

They're all variations of the powers I seldom use myself.

Do they seem allowable, balanced and appropriate?

If 'HighGuard' megascale teleports (sfx running so fast he can't be seen), does the limitation that he can't teleport through solid barriers enough to make it a safe teleport intrinsic to the limitation, or does that have to be bought as a separate advantage?

Heavily revised. Rebuilt to 200-pt base +150 in disads. Opted not to put in heat-ray vision, but otherwise.. I never realized what munchkins DC writers were. ;)

[b][font=Courier New]HighGuard (The Subterran) - James Adams[/font][/b]
[font=Courier New]+[b][u]VAL[/u] [u]CHA[/u] [u]Cost[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]Roll[/u] [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 75 STR  65   10   24- HTH Damage 15d6 800+t [7][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 32 DEX  66   10   15- OCV 11/ DCV 11[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 39 CON  58   10   14-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 14 BODY  8   10   12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 13 INT   3   10   12- PER Roll 12- (22- with Succor)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 14 EGO   8   10   11- ECV: 5; Latent mental power as yet untapped[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 PRE   5   10   12- PRE Attack: 3d6[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 14 COM   2   10   12-[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 21  PD   6   15       25 PD (10 rPD)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 17  ED   9    8       21 ED (10 rED)[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  5 SPD   8    4.2     Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 23 REC   -   23 [/font]
[font=Courier New]| 72 END  -3   78       Alien upbringing unbalanced his metabolism slightly.[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 72 STUN  -   72[/font]
[font=Courier New]+ [/font]
[font=Courier New]|  6 RUN   -   6"       [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  2 SWIM  -   2"       [1][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 LEAP  -  15"       15" forward, 8" upward [7][/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]CHA Cost: 235[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  6  6 rPD/6 rED Damage Resistance: '[b][i]Subterran tough flesh[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 6 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10  Life Support - Expanded Breathing, Safe in Heat, Pressure, Radiation [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15  N-Ray Discriminatory (Sight Group) stopped by Heavy Metals '[b][i]Subtervision[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 15 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15  EC '[b][i]Subterspeed[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 15 AP [-][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15  A) FF 4 pts <21> Energy/Flash(Sight)/<7> Mental/<25> Physical/Power Def (+1/4 Only Costs END to Start) '[b][i]Subterfugal Force[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 30 AP [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  4   Heal 1d6 Body (+1: Reset/5 Min.; +1/2: 0 END; +1/2: Persistent; -1/2: Self Only; -2 Extra Time 1 Minute Can Take No Action) '[b][i]Subteregeneration[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 30 AP [0][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10  C) 6" Stretching (-1/2: Must Travel Between) '[b][i]Two Places at Once[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 30 AP [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10  D) 6d6 Succor to Enhanced Perception: +1 to All Perception per 3 pts (-1/2: Self Only; -0: Cap 30 AP) '[b][i]Subterperceptive Biofeedback[/i][/b]' 30 AP [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10  E) 10" Teleport (+1/2: +1/4 Variable Adv.; -1/2: Must Travel Between) '[b][i]Subterleap[/i][/b][/font][font=Courier New]' 30 AP [3][/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]POWERS Cost: 95[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  12- Acting - Lifetime of acting normal[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- AK: Home City EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Climbing EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Computer Programming EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  12- Concealment - Lifetime of hiding who he is[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  12- Conversation - Lifetime of watching what he says[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Deduction EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  12- Hoist - Lifetime of lifting bales (and tractors, in secret)[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  2   8- KS: Farming EM; 11- KS: American History (his minor at journalism school)[/font]
[font=Courier New]|     4 pts LS: English EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|      8- Paramedics EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|     11- PS: Mild-mannered Reporter EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  12- Shadowing - Lifetime of looking out for being spied on[/font]
[font=Courier New]|  3  15- Stealth - Lifetime of evading detection[/font]
[font=Courier New]|     TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles EM[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 20[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]Talents[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 0 All Talents, Latent[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]Talents Cost: 0[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] PERKS[/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 0 Normal job, home, vehicle of a normal[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]Perks Cost: 0[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]+[b][u]Val[/u] [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Ma Billie Johnson-Adams 8- (Incomp. Normal) widow trying to keep the farm[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Lo Loew 8- (Incompetent Normal) opportunistic co-worker/Highguard Fangirl at The Patriot[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Hunted: Brick 8- (Mo Pow, Harsh)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harsh)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Psych. Lim.: Compulsive Liar (Very Common, Moderate)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 20 Psych. Lim.: Vindictive (Very Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Psych. Lim.: Compelled to Seem Virtuous (Common, Strong)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Rival, Lo Loew (Superior Professional)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 15 Social Lim.: Secret ID: James Adams, intern, The Patriot (Frequently, Major)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Obligations - turn in stories to The Patriot (Occasion, Minor)[/font]
[font=Courier New]| 10 Social Lim.: Rep - HighGuard=Pure-hearted Hero; Adams=Mild-mannered intern at the Patriot 8-[/font]
[font=Courier New]+[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b][/font]

[font=Courier New]Base Pts: 200[/font]

[font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 350[/font]

Quote: I make twelve commitments to the American people...

Origin

Harrison G. Adams and his wife Billie Johnson Adams were a childless couple returning to their Roosevelt-county farm (the old Gent place) when their truck hit a bump. Getting out to see if he'd damaged his vehicle, Harry discovered a screw-tipped metal tube in the road big enough to hold an infant. Which it did. The Adams always hoped to have a child, and raised this one as their own, keeping the secret even from him.

Over the years, little James picked up a Subterran approximation of the down-home values of Ma and Pa Adams -- always cover up the truth, always seem virtuous, and never let anyone tell you you've done wrong no matter what. As it turns out, these were the perfect traits for a reporter, and James was accepted as a summer intern for The Patriot, where he was made assistant to Lo Loew, an opportunistic reporter with some seniority, but not enough to feel so secure in her job she won't do everything she can to torpedo any threat. But James needed the job, to help Ma Adams keep the farm afloat. Not that the Adams would admit that.

Why doesn't he use his Subterpowers to make himself fantastically wealthy and buy the farm out of debt? One: he's lying about not having Subterpowers, so he's compelled not to provide evidence against this lie. Two: he has to vindicate his belief that he's just as good as anyone else, without powers. Three: nothing seems more virtuous than hard work, toil, and paying for the family homestead by the sweat of his own brow.

So it was that Lo sent James off on a wild goose chase while she was cornering sources at a press conference. Indeed, he convinced her to do this, and that it was her own idea, because of what James saw coming into the building. A cap and dark glasses obscuring his identity, he ran smack into a VIPER tactical squad sent to capture key people and equipment at the conference. And they had Brick with them. So when James, trying to seem virtuous, stepped up and told them they would have to get past him if they wanted to get inside, he ended up imbedded in a wall three rooms over. This worked out well for him - an anonymous man, the type no one would look at twice, brushed aside and the noise forcing the agents and Brick to focus on pressing their raid.

James wasn't like most farm boys. Well, except farm boys found as infants in mysterious metal tubes. He has the metabolism and highly evolved physiology of the Subterran branch of humanity -- cave-lurkers who delved the darkness before aquatic man sprang gills, and thus -- who gained phenomenal strength, toughness and the ability to see through solid rock by mutation, exposed to underground radiation over the generations. Raised under the pure energy of the surface sun, James was gifted with Subterspeed, and could throw off the worst the likes of Brick could dish out.

At some point, I plan to flesh out the Subterrans and their relationship to other subterrainean and exotic peoples. They're not mole-men, lava-men, morlocks or the like, though they've had a hidden hand in the creation of some species, and of several exotic underground areas which they have since abandoned.

The Subterran intern regained his feet just as VIPER were cornering their hostages at the press conference. James improvised a costume from a cyan lab coverall with magenta rubber gloves and boots. Subterspeed made his brown hair darken to black and facial features a golden blur, unrecognizable by even close acquaintances.

The fight was very short. Far stronger than a thousand men, so fast he seemed to disappear from one spot and reappear at another, the new hero easily beat the villains in front of a dozen reporters. Subterran -- calling himself 'HighGuard' -- milked the press coverage for all it was worth, his knowledge of what reporters need for a story allowing him to present himself in his best possible light. He had total vindication for his injuries from Brick, played up to the media as 'justice, a victory for truth and the American way.'

Subterran's compulsion for vindication did lead him to overdo his beating of Brick, and Brick, when recovered, decided to look for payback. VIPER, naturally, wants what 'HighGuard' is keeping from them -- he did, after all, imply that he knew what they were after and they couldn't get it from him, during the fight and interview afterwards. It was a lie, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's some quickly slapped-together images, courtesy of HeroMachine and Paint, to go with the final version of HighGuard. By odd coincidence, the blurring caused by resizing the image matches the special effects I'd intended for the force field quite nicely.

HG's been toned down some in Dex and SPD to better fit the Brick archetype, but he's still a good secondary speedster, too.

[b][size=2][font=Courier New]HighGuard (The Subterran) - Jim Adams[/font][/size][/b]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]VAL[/u] [u]CHA[/u] [u]Cost[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]Roll[/u] [u]Notes[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 45 STR  35   10   19- 70 w/DI; HTH Damage 14d6 800+t [1/3][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 29 DEX  57   10   15- OCV 10/ DCV 10[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 33 CON  46   10   16-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 14 BODY  8   10   12-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 13 INT   3   10   12- PER Roll 12- (+Succor)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 14 EGO   8   10   11- ECV: 5; Latent mental power as yet untapped[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 PRE   5   10   12- PRE Attack: 3d6[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 12 COM   1   10   11-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 23  PD  14    9       32 PD (15 rPD)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 21  ED  14    7       30 ED (15 rED)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  4 SPD   1    3.9     Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 16 REC   -   16 [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 54 END  -6   66       Alien upbringing unbalanced his metabolism.[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 54 STUN  -   54[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+ [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  6 RUN   -    6"      [1] +5" KBR w/DI[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  2 SWIM  -    2"      [1][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  9 LEAP  -    9"      9" forward, 5" upward [1/3][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]CHA Cost: 186[/b][/font][/size]

[font=Courier New][size=2]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]POWERS[/u][/b][/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 11  11 rPD/11 rED Damage Resistance: '[b][i]SubterTough[/i][/b]' 11 AP [-][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 11  0 END for 15 Str (+1/2); 1/2 END for 30 STR (+1/4) (-1/4: CSFX with EC, Drained when EC Powers Drained) '[b][i]SubterEase[/i][/b]' 14 AP [-][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 13  LS - Needn't Breath; Safe: Cold-Heat-Pres.-Rad.-Vac. (-1/2 Side Effect 6d6 Cosmetic Transform) '[b][i]SubterImmunity[/i][/b]' 20 AP [-][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 12  N-Ray Discriminatory (Sight Group) stopped by Heavy Metals (-1/4: CSFX with EC, Drained when EC Powers Drained) '[b][i]SubterVision[/i][/b]' 15 AP [-][/font][/size]
[font=Courier New][size=2][size=2]| 24 Multipower Pool ([/size][size=2]-1/4: CSFX with EC, Drained when EC Powers Drained[/size][size=2]) [b][i]'Subterchanneling'[/i][/b] 30 AP [-][/size]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  1u 1d6 2 DEF Entangle (+1 AoE 3" Cone; -1/2 No Range, -1/4 Available Gases) [b][i]'SubterBreath'[/i][/b] 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  1u 8 rPD/0 rED FW (+1/2 Transparent to Energy; -1/2 No Range, -1/4 Available Fluid Matter, -1/2 Restrainable) '[b][i]SubterVortex[/i][/b]' 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2u 1d6 Heal & Regrow Limbs (+1/4 Any 1 Characteristic; +3/4 Reset/10 Minutes; -1/2: Self Only) '[b][i]SubterHealing[/i][/b]' 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2u 2d6 ERKA [b]'[i]SubterHeat'[/i][/b] 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2u 6d6 Succor Enhanced Perception +1 All PER/3 pts (-1/2: Self Only) [b][i]'SubterSense'[/i][/b] 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 12 EC '[b][i]SubterKinesis[/i][/b]' (-1/4: CSFX) 15 AP [-][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 11 A) 5x DI (+1/4 CEOTA; -1/4 Visible/OHID) '[b][i]SubterPumped[/i][/b]' 31 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 10  10" Flight (+1/2: +1/4 Variable Adv.*; -1/2 Restrainable) '[b][i]SubterBlur[/i][/b]' 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]| 12 C) FF 4 pts <30> ED/Flash(Sight)/<7> Mental/<32> PD/Power Def (+1/4 CEOTA) '[b][i]SubterForce[/i][/b]' 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  9 D) 6" Stretching (-1/2: Must Travel Between) [b][i]'SubterSprint' [/i][/b]30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  9 E) 10" Teleport (+1/2: +1/4 Variable Adv.**; -1/2: Must Travel Between) '[b][i]SubterSpeed[/i][/b]' 30 AP [3][/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]POWERS Cost: 142[/b][/font][/size]
[b][font=Courier New][/font][/b] 
[/size][/font][size=2][font=Courier New]*Combat Acceleration/Deceleration, IPE Any One, MegaScale 1" = 1 km, No Turn Mode, 1/2 Reduced End, Sideways Maneuverability Half Velocity, Usable By Other, Usable As Gliding, Running or Swimming; [/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]**No Relative Velocity, Position Shift; IPE Any One, MegaScale 1" = 1 km, Safe Blind Teleport, 1/2 Reduced Endurance, Usable By Other.[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]Notes: Combat Velocity ~24 kmh. MegaScale Minimum Velocity = 1200 kmh (~750 mph), Absolute Maximum = 12,000 kmh (~7,500 MPH, ~Mach 10, ~6 Miles/phase), (@3 End/phase ~1 hour to circle the Equator).][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]SKILLS[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  12- Acting - Lifetime of acting normal[/font][/size]
[font=Courier New][size=2]|  2  11- AK: Campaign City[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|      8- AK: Home County EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|      8- Climbing EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|      8- Computer Programming EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  12- Concealment - Lifetime of hiding who he is[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  12- Conversation - Lifetime of watching what he says[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|      8- Deduction EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|      8- KS: Farming EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|     4 pts LS: English EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|      8- Paramedics EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  5  13- Power Skill: SubterHeat (shaving/surgery/welding, e.g.)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|     11- PS: Mild-mannered Reporter EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  15- Shadowing - Lifetime of looking out for being spied on[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|  3  15- Stealth - Lifetime of evading detection[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]|     TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles EM[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]SKILLS Cost: 22[/b][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] [u]Talents[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 0 All Talents, Latent[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]Talents Cost: 0[/b][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Cost[/u] PERKS[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 0 Normal job, home, vehicle of a normal[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]Perks Cost: 0[/b][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b][u]Val[/u] [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Ma Billie Johnson-Adams 8- (Incomp. Normal) widow trying to keep the farm[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 DNPC: Lo Loew 8- (Incompetent Normal) parasitic co-worker/HG Fangirl at Patriot[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Hun.: GoldBrick 8- (Mo Pow, Harsh)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 20 Hun.: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harsh)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Psy.: Compulsive Liar - Ironic Truths (Very Common, Moderate)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 20 Psy.: Vindictive (Very Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Psy.: Compelled to Seem Virtuous (Common, Strong)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 Soc.: Rival, Lo Loew (Superior Professional)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 15 Soc.: Secret ID: James Adams, intern, Patriot Publishing (Frequently, Major)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 Soc.: Obligations - turn in stories to Patriot Publishing (Occasion, Minor)[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]| 10 Soc.: Rep - HighGuard=Pure-hearted Hero; Adams=Mild-mannered intern at Patriot 8-[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Courier New]+[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b][/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]Base Pts: 200[/font][/size]

[size=2][font=Courier New]Total Character Cost: 350[/font][/size]

Description

Jim Adams appears to be a lanky 6'2" tall with short chestnut-colored hair and green eyes, a deep brown complexion that comes of farm living and long days in the sun. He dresses neatly, but with an obvious rustic air. The truth is it takes a large measure of Subterran power to contain his natural dimensions to this innocuous, hardly notable, form.

HighGuard is a larger-than-life blur to the eye. At around 6'8" tall and so muscular it almost hurts to watch him move and flex, he physically imposes his presense when he appears. The forces flowing out of his body as vibratory energy subtly alter his hair to give it a slightly curled look, seeming black, but with doppler-shifted highlites of red and indigo that normal life cannot simulate. His eyes are blue from Cerencov Radiation, and do glow with the effect. His skin takes on a golden tone, bright with internal fire. The cyan and magenta costume he unfolds from a supercompressed wallet is shielded by his protective field when worn. When exposed to hostile environments, his Subterran immunities visibly take over, repelling ambient energies and preserving his homeostasis.

Powers

Subterrans evolved highly advanced psychokinetic and psychometabolic powers, environmental adaptations, senses and energy tolerances over the millennia. Their cells scavenge energy for subsistence from the harsh underworld conditions that branch of humanity dwells in. Jim Adams had healthy sunlight and real food growing up, gaining a size and level of fitness none of his people could have below ground.

Indeed, Jim's latent Subterran kinesis had to be used to restrain and leash his burgeoning physique to hide his racial differences from others. This concealment reflex is so ingrained in Jim's psyche that it's an effort to release his true form, and he reverts to more human proportions subconsciously when asleep or knocked out. Self-restraint is hardly all Subterrans can use psychokinesis for -- Jim's body has remembered instinctively self-regeneration, self-sensory augmentation, and speed-of-thought self-kinesis. With an effort, he can psychokinetically pour back out the energy his body stores as heat, channeling it into potent rays, beams and bursts.

By really strange coincidence, I've noticed that Jim Adams comes to exactly 250 pts if you drop his frameworks and skills connected only to them -- for example, if he didn't want anyone to know HighGuard was involved in an adventure.

Does anyone have experience with a player character having a second (minor) hero identity?

I'm thinking I could do well with fictional 'James Adams Adventures' stories based on the 250 AP build, where he's just a minor brick in a mask.

Or, given that he's a compulsive liar, he could use his acting to pretend to be a pulpy masked martial artist, gadgeteer, detective or such, toward the day he's eventually unmasked for these minor heroic sortees. (Leading to the argument, "No one would believe James Adams is HighGuard. Everyone knows Adams used to be the masked adventurer Silver Gloves who used boxing, repulsor heels in his boots, and a bulletproof vest to take on thugs. Different guys.")