Here is a character for review...

Force

Might be getting back into actually playing again and would like some help.

Here is a write up for my character. Basically he is one of the foremost (if not THE foremost) physicists of his generation (he thinks of all time!). If anyone watches Stargate: Atlantis, think Rodney but less of a fearful wimp.

Basic origin is he was the lead physicist working on a new super collider working on generating mini big-bangs/blackholes to delve the secrets of the universe. An experiment was interrupted by a villian/group/organization (they wanted to make a point singularity weapon), he was bombarded by some of the new particles created by the collider and Wallah! He gained the ability to emit and control graviton particles around his body. This transformation enhanced his physical attributes as well. Think of a nice heavy-g world.

What do I need help with? I am not a very good writer.

I need help with a well written background/history write up, origin, some personality/motivation write-ups, the whole schmoo! I've seen the character write ups here and I know there are more talented folks here than me!

Also any suggestions on possible changes to the character. I have not gamed with these folks for quite some time, but the character is on the max side of defense/attack limits.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Here is a character for review...

Awesome! A 5 Speed, 23 Dex Scientist Brick! Great justifications for having elite commando combat speed and Olympic gymnast agility!

Sorry, I've been ranting a lot recently.

Suggestions- Raise the active points of your detect a little and slide it into your EC.

One power that I've been working on templating for a grav based guy is a TK Explosion with no range which pulls everything around towards him. Yes, by fx you get a lot of junk sticking to you, but you also get aoe grabs vs. martial artists and energy projectors, and even without personal immunity your strength is high enough to allow you to ignore it.

Awesome! A 5 Speed' date=' 23 Dex Scientist Brick! Great justifications for having elite commando combat speed and Olympic gymnast agility![/quote']

Due to the fact that earth's normal gravity seems like he weighs 20 kilos would be the justification. After all, since you're using 'real world comparisons', how many scientists (or elite commando's) do you know that can lift 400 metric tons and can emit and control graviton particles? :)

At one point, I was thinking of taking his str , making it no figured characteristics, lowering his con, leaving him with high defenses, low stun but giving him high physical damage reduction.

Sorry' date=' I've been ranting a lot recently.[/quote']

Rant being the operative word there! :)

Suggestions- Raise the active points of your detect a little and slide it into your EC.

I'll look into that. Perhaps 360 and discriminatory.

One power that I've been working on templating for a grav based guy is a TK Explosion with no range which pulls everything around towards him. Yes' date=' by fx you get a lot of junk sticking to you, but you also get aoe grabs vs. martial artists and energy projectors, and even without personal immunity your strength is high enough to allow you to ignore it.[/quote']

I was looking at making a change environment that affects dex rolls and ocv/dcv.

"At one point, I was thinking of taking his str , making it no figured characteristics, lowering his con, leaving him with high defenses, low stun but giving him high physical damage reduction."

BJ: Actually, I think that sounds like a pretty, if you will pardon me, 'realistic' set of things to do.

"I was looking at making a change environment that affects dex rolls and ocv/dcv."

BJ: That sounds like a neat thing to do to. With all that gravity power though, maybe a Change Environment with a couple levels of Variable Advantage would be more useful, without being 'overpowered'?

Not to mention that I think you would be doing better to take an MP instead of an EC. This would give the character more variety - and as a GM it wouldn't bother me as long as the individual powers were still of a reasonable level - besides, keeping them at a reasonable level allows for more flexibility at the same time. Here are some additional suggestions if you made it an MP (and therefore had more points to spend), taken from memory and powers lists I copied (cans we say stole? :) ) from many sources:

* Suppress Movement

* G-Forces (EB AVLD (powers/circumstances that would protect against g-forces))

* Vertigo - Suppress Dex

* Gravity Wells - focuses gravity around the character so that he can attach himself to things - like for climbing walls, etc.

* Bend Light, so that he can see as if using a telescope

* Desolidification, self and other

* Break electronic/mechanical items via gravity changes

* Entangles

* Flight as an attack

* Missle Deflection

* Force Wall

Tons more.

With all this, your character doesn't need to be as much of a brick (keeping the defenses always works tho ;) ), whilst still allowing the character much participation in the goings-on, including OOC stuff.

As for motivations and stuff:

Does the character have any religious background?

Is he happy-mad-sad about his change?

How has it affected his daily life?

Did he insto-change into his powers and hurt someone by lack of control of those powers, A) Giving him a psych lim, B) Getting him in trouble?

Maybe the govt got him fired, and stripped him of that "Well Off" he has (more points for the MP? LOL), and is playing with his life to get him to work for them. This would give him conflicts - wanting to be a good little group hero, but being also being pissed.

Maybe a global power provider wants to tap him and/or his knowledge.

You know what works well for me on background creation? Look up every Disadvantage I can find (Master List of Psych Lims for example, which can usually be googled), read through them, find a few that make me go, "Oh, cool!" as ideas pop into my head.

"At one point, I was thinking of taking his str , making it no figured characteristics, lowering his con, leaving him with high defenses, low stun but giving him high physical damage reduction."

BJ: Actually, I think that sounds like a pretty, if you will pardon me, 'realistic' set of things to do.

"I was looking at making a change environment that affects dex rolls and ocv/dcv."

BJ: That sounds like a neat thing to do to. With all that gravity power though, maybe a Change Environment with a couple levels of Variable Advantage would be more useful, without being 'overpowered'?

Not to mention that I think you would be doing better to take an MP instead of an EC. This would give the character more variety - and as a GM it wouldn't bother me as long as the individual powers were still of a reasonable level - besides, keeping them at a reasonable level allows for more flexibility at the same time. Here are some additional suggestions if you made it an MP (and therefore had more points to spend), taken from memory and powers lists I copied (cans we say stole? :) ) from many sources:

* Suppress Movement

* G-Forces (EB AVLD (powers/circumstances that would protect against g-forces))

* Vertigo - Suppress Dex

* Gravity Wells - focuses gravity around the character so that he can attach himself to things - like for climbing walls, etc.

* Bend Light, so that he can see as if using a telescope

* Desolidification, self and other

* Break electronic/mechanical items via gravity changes

* Entangles

* Flight as an attack

* Missle Deflection

* Force Wall

Tons more.

With all this, your character doesn't need to be as much of a brick (keeping the defenses always works tho ;) ), whilst still allowing the character much participation in the goings-on, including OOC stuff.

As for motivations and stuff:

Does the character have any religious background?

Is he happy-mad-sad about his change?

How has it affected his daily life?

Did he insto-change into his powers and hurt someone by lack of control of those powers, A) Giving him a psych lim, B) Getting him in trouble?

Maybe the govt got him fired, and stripped him of that "Well Off" he has (more points for the MP? LOL), and is playing with his life to get him to work for them. This would give him conflicts - wanting to be a good little group hero, but being also being pissed.

Maybe a global power provider wants to tap him and/or his knowledge.

You know what works well for me on background creation? Look up every Disadvantage I can find (Master List of Psych Lims for example, which can usually be googled), read through them, find a few that make me go, "Oh, cool!" as ideas pop into my head.

Some very interesting points about powers, but that makes him lean more to an energy projector, or at the very least a hybrid, rather than the 'strong guy/brick' of the group.

As for the rest of the stuff, that's why I brought up my basic ideas about his personality and origin. The rest is up to you!!!!

One thing I would like to know is if I went overboard on his science skills for physics or if I am missing a skill or two.

Awesome! A 5 Speed, 23 Dex Scientist Brick! Great justifications for having elite commando combat speed and Olympic gymnast agility!

Sorry, I've been ranting a lot recently.

One power that I've been working on templating for a grav based guy is a TK Explosion with no range which pulls everything around towards him. Yes, by fx you get a lot of junk sticking to you, but you also get aoe grabs vs. martial artists and energy projectors, and even without personal immunity your strength is high enough to allow you to ignore it.

This is the first flame I have seen here in awhile. I'm glad posts like these are not commonplace. I do however, have a few comments about your "help".

1) DEX 23/ SPD 5 is a very common DEX to SPD ratio in 350 pt. games. Why is it so hard to reason that someone who can can control gravity enough to fly could augment other aspects of their movement?

2) Spatial Awareness, as a Special Power, cannot go into a power framework without express permission from the GM.

3) If there is an AP limit in place in the campaign (I don't know if there is or not so consider this general advice) it would be more effective to buy a Naked Explosion Advantage on some of your STR (how much would be based on the AP limit) than to buy TK with No Range. I don't think you would need personal Immunity if you took a Limitation such as "only to drag things towards or push things away from the character", but that also would be up to the GM.

Some very interesting points about powers, but that makes him lean more to an energy projector, or at the very least a hybrid, rather than the 'strong guy/brick' of the group.

As for the rest of the stuff, that's why I brought up my basic ideas about his personality and origin. The rest is up to you!!!!

One thing I would like to know is if I went overboard on his science skills for physics or if I am missing a skill or two.

Your question about the sciences is a good one. Aside from the GM allowing complementary skill roll bonuses between them, I think they may overlap a little. Perhaps you could expand your knowledge of Gravity beyond physics to how it effects other sciences, such as Astronomy, Meteorology, Biophysics or Medicine (to study the efefcts of Gravity or Zero G on the human body), As a master of Gravity I might also invest in Environmental Movement: Zero Gravity.

What you can do with respect to this is to give him a couple of the powers in a MP initially as things that he learned how to do quickly. They do not even have to be combat related powers, or they could have Extra END attached to their use, which would be a discouragement to him using them frequently.

This would still allow him to be primarily the strong brick that you want him to be, but it would allow him a couple extra options as well. And if you want to add some powers later that he learns, you have something in place to do so.

Gemphyre

What you can do with respect to this is to give him a couple of the powers in a MP initially as things that he learned how to do quickly. They do not even have to be combat related powers, or they could have Extra END attached to their use, which would be a discouragement to him using them frequently.

This would still allow him to be primarily the strong brick that you want him to be, but it would allow him a couple extra options as well. And if you want to add some powers later that he learns, you have something in place to do so.

Gemphyre

Excellent idea on the multipower. I will have to take a look at that.

This is why the hero boards are fantastic. Different perspectives are excellent!