SoloUberCampaign:Adventures of the Dark

csyphrett

• 2 weeks later...

Re: SoloUberCampaign:Adventures of the Dark

Page 1-

It was a hot day in August. School was less than three weeks away for Tavin Bourne. Homestead Place was lined with row houses on either side of the street in the northern part of Washington, DC. Tavin's, the one he shared with his foster father, sat in the middle, gray blue between a brick red and a yellow paint job to make your eyes hurt.

An anachronism in gray cotton shirt, loose gray pants, and black slippers walked ahead of Tavin, woven hat on his head. A long cue swung from the base of his skull as he walked.

Tavin's neighbors, those that were about, spotted this apparition and muttered, but no one said anything to him.

The man walked up the three steps to the small porch on the front of Tavin's residence and knocked quietly.

Tavin noted the man walking ahead of him, His grandfather had told him of a time when China had been occupied and the men were forced to wear long cue's of hair to show their obedience, Tavin imagined it for a moment and then shook that thought out of his head, that had been hundreds of years ago, this guy wasn't from then, he was right here and now walking up to his own door. Tavin smiled, the man must be lost.

Tavin maintained a safe distance, just in case. One and a three

quarters arm lengths just like his father had instructed him and then

another 6 inches to be just that much more safe. He had been caught

unawares by his fathers ability to move that very space in such a

short period of time just a week ago. He then explained to Tavin that

every rule had its exceptions, of which his father was one. Pausing

time for a half second can be incredibly helpful when your lunging

strike is only a half a second in length.

He was still nursing the bruise from that lesson, father wasn't easy

on him, in fact he never had been. Well anway always treat your elders with respect and help out those in need, as father always said.

Tavin said gently "Excuse me sir, may I help you?" as he reached the

base of the steps.

The man turned, pivoting on his heel, hands still behind his back. The face was broad, wrinkled, belied the black braid of hair. Eyes so brown, the pupils were not there gazed down at the boy.

"I'm looking for the time keeper." The voice had lost none of its youth at least. "I had heard that I could find him here."

Tavin wondered at the mans words, the timekeeper, obviously he meant his father, hmmm was he home, and should this man be allowed to meet him?

Tavin smiled "Well I dont know anything about the timekeeper, it is me and my father in this house. What exactly do you want with this timekeeper anyway, maybe I could help you find him."

Tavin wondered who this man was, and what he wanted from his father... and he intended to find out before he got anywhere near the old man.

"I'm an old friend." The old Oriental smiled slightly, hands still behind his back. "I have some important news for him. I doubt he is expecting me."

Tavin nodded absentmindedly, "well then I guess it wouldn't hurt to let you in eh?" Tavin knew his father would be downstairs in his studio right now and probably didn't hear the bell. He motioned that he would pass the elderly gentleman and went for the door, he listened intently for any movement from the man while he unlocked and opened the door.

Tavin opened the door, "Dozo,(japanese for please)" and motioned for the elderly gentleman to enter. He entered right behind him and closed the door.

The old man said something in reply, but in a language other than Japanese, or English.

Tavin pressed the button to buzz the studio so his father would know someone was here, and it wasn't just him. His father had many of these installed about the house, it was an interesting idea of his a simple switch that no one would suspect would alarmed him while he was in his studio of guests. The microdot cameras took care of the rest. He could see the entirety of the house from his studio. Lately father had been making a good amount of money from his "reproductions" of an ancient master of japanese painting. He said on his website that he was the great great great grandson of the artist, but in reality... he was the same man. The paintings went for much more now than they did then, and it kept them in money quite easily.

"Would you care for some tea while you wait?" Tavin motioned for the guest to take a seat in the sitting room. "Or perhaps something a bit stronger?" He had learned well the intricacies of entertaining a guest, and he had the marks to prove it... his father had explained it to him twice and then beat it into him once more. He hadn't forgotten. The old man was fast with a shoot of bamboo to the behind, and it really hurt.

He smiled to the older gentleman and awaited his answer.

"Milk is good if you have it." The old man inspected the room, as he moved close to center, turning slightly, hands still behind his back. Tavin noticed that he had taken a position where he could reach almost any other point in the room with two strides.

Hmm, Tavin thought to himself, we are both on the defensive, I wonder what he is worried about... His thoughts returned to a movie he had seen lately at the theatre where a messenger showed up and right after him a group of "ninja" (hah, they were no ninja) leapt through the windows and attacked. He stepped into the kitchen and almost chuckled to himself, that sort of thing only happened in the movies, not in real life, how silly was he...

He got a glass of chilled milk and brought it out to the man, He wondered what was taking father so long.

"Here you go sir," Tavin bowed slightly as he handed over the glass of milk and the saucer he had placed it on.

He stepped back after the man accepted.

"So what brings an old friend to our doorstep?"

"Bad news." The old man placed one hand over the top of the cup. Steam began to rise from the milk. "It's always bad news."

"I agree, Master Boxer." Tavin's father stepped from the door leading downstairs to his studio. "I'm retired now. What does the council want?"

The visitor sipped his warm milk.

Outside the windows, the sky had darkened with the coming of a thundercloud. Thunder rolled once, twice, a third time. Then it began to rain.

"We believe the third prophecy is about to be enacted, and felt that you should be warned." Master Boxer's eyes had become holes in his face in the dimming light.

Three in the afternoon and outside had become a twilight world in a matter of seconds with the drumming of rain and roaring wind.

Tavin was confused, third prophecy, master boxer, Council...

"Ummm, what exactly is going on? What council, What is the third prophecy and for that matter the first and second prophecies. And finally what does my father have to do with any of this...."

"Uh oh yeah, What the heck is going on outside?"

"It's raining." Dachi frowned, whether at the revelations, or the intrusion into his retirement. "The rest doesn't matter. I am retired. No more problem solving for me."

The window vibrated from something heavier than raindrops smacking into it.

Tavin turned and looked at the window, What was tapping at his window?

Several small objects pounded the window in a tatoo, BOOM-BOOM-BOOM, before rebounding out of sight in the fenced in back yard. They had looked almost round in the second he had a chance to observe them before they ricochetted away from the glass.

Tavin moved over to the window and looked out, at the same time he

cast a glance at the two men, "ummm, are you just ignoring me?"

"I'm showing our visitor the door." Dachi gestured for the Chinese man to move out without touching him.

The window looked out on the fenced back yard. The row houses were abutted to each other, sharing walls and fences. An alley ran on the other side of the fence at the far end of the yard, with a similiar arrangement for the houses on the other street opposite Homestead Place.

Frogs squatted in the back yard, looking unhappy in the rain. The red splotchy pattern on their back contrasted with the light green of their bodies and yellow of their eyes. Some of them seemed to be staring at the windows of Tavin's house.

Boom. One rebounded off the window in front of Tavin's face.

"WHAT THE HELL!" Tavin gasped in suprise. He had not intended for it to come out that loud, "Father, it is literally raining frogs out there! WHAT is going on?"

"I don't know." Dachi opened the door for their strange visitor. "I have no interest in getting involved finding out."

The old stranger stepped outside.

"It is almost time." The Master Boxer looked around. "Take care, time keeper."

"Good bye, Master Boxer." Dachi closed the door.

Tavin could see a ribbon of sunlight at the horizon. That suggested the storm of frogs was only a temporary thing that would soon be over as the clouds moved toward the ocean.

Sounds of impacts still drifted to his ears.

"Father, the rain seems to be ending I am going to go outside for a bit." Tavin was out the door but a few moments after "Master Boxer" He went in the same general direction as the man but didn't catch up to him. He then walked past the man and said off the cuff as if to no one, "Meet me around the corner, I want to know what you are talking about." He then hustled off seemingly leaving the old man alone to slowly stumble his way on, once they were around the corner and most probably out of his father's sight, "So tell me what you are talking about Master Boxer"

Tavin noticed the man seemed untouched by rain or frog as he passed. He marched down the block, hands behind his back. When he met the boy around the corner, he still seemed dry but there was a constant sound like a bee around him.

"We were talking about the predicted end of the world." The old man's face seemed mask-like as he regarded his old companion's foster son. "It pains me that the timekeeper has given up much since last we talked."

• 3 weeks later...

Page 2-

"The end of the world eh? wow, the third prophecy you said what is that? And what did you expect my father to do about it?"

"The third prophecy is the third of seven handed down. They are sometimes called the Seven Days. They predict apocalypses that should be stopped, or at least tried to stop. The timekeeper is one of our number. We had hoped that he would prevent or change the outcome of events. His mastery of premonition has long been held in high regard."

The rain slowed with the clearing of the clouds into ribbons of afternoon light and streamers of grey overhead. Frogs hopped away. They looked as big as softballs.

The bee sound slowed around the Master Boxer. As it ran to silence, a few rain drops plopped against his wicker hat, and jacket shoulders.

"So what your saying is that he is trying to stop the end of the world? So what does this prophecy say? What is coming? And how can I help?"

"The third day says

In the land of the eagle, under the eyes of its dead kings, darkness and light shall battle with the weapon of Arthur among the remnants of history. None shall know who their enemy is in their war.

When the Gatekeeper seeks knowledge, the dead shall walk, the living shall hate and fear, and the keys of U-rai shall unlock the seals. The toad of U-Rai will send forth his minions to cause destruction in preparation.

The sleeping will dream death and misery for the waking world. Imprisoned in a cell of flesh and blood, the mind has decided to wreak havoc. Only the touch of the innocent will stir her to mercy once more.

Beware the three lines of destruction, the monsters that sprout from the mind, the monsters that awaken from ancient sleep, the one monster that kills with his touch. They will want death for those they see when they return home.

Only a hero may ascend over all challenges and make things right, with allies, will, and the knowledge of his enemies' weaknesses. When the three rivals find their common goal, victory requires sacrifice."

"Well then, I am so glad you let me know about that.... How can I help? I am guessing it isn't just you and my dad that are trying to stop this stuff. I might be able to help, what needs to be done?"

"Now that you know what's coming, you only have to sit and watch." The old man smiled. "Prophecy can't be changed, only endured. Good luck."

The boxer turned and walked away, dry slippers gliding over wet concrete. The large frogs hopped to get out of his way, some stared at Tavin with their yellow eyes.

"Well, thats what you say. I am going to stop it...." Tavin looked around and then returned to his house well then time to bother dad and see what we can see. When he returned home he went down to his father's studio downstairs. "So, are you going to tell me what that was all about?"

"I'm retired, son." Dachi looked at the half finished painting on the stand. "A lot of my former power is gone, lost to age. And the Seven Days are dangerous, too dangerous for me, and too dangerous for you."

"The Seven Days? Can you at least tell me what is going on, is it really the end of the world? If so it doesn't matter if it is too dangerous I have to do something either way."

"A long time ago, a man named Arthur Woad had a dream." Dachi went to a cabinet. He pulled out a drawer on the side. Canvases hung there. "He dreamed that the world would face threats seven times. These threats should be opposed at whatever the cost.

"The council formed to see the world through the Days, two of which have passed."

He revealed a picture of a green frog dwarfing the city.

"The third day is supposed to be caused by the Frog of U-Rai. A jungle is supposed to be spread across the earth until humanity is gone."

"So we just have to stop this Frog, U-rai and the forest will stop? I kind of like humanity, and well I wouldn't like it if it went away. So how do we stop this U-Rai guy, thing, beast, frog, dangit whatever it is."

"The belief is this thing will be summoned from outside time and space." Dachi pulled out another picture. It looked like a woman in a loose red dress, belted around her middle. Her curly hair flowed upwards. "I think this is the summoner."

"So we just have to stop this summoner person, and then we have averted the destruction of the world by a slimy supernatural menace?" Tavin smiled at his father, this was turning out to be much more interesting of a day than he had thought it would be and, before school started he might actually save the world like the real heroes did.

"You're right." Dachi replaced the picture in the cabinet. "Either way you look at it, we have to do the best we can. I want you to go on patrol and pay attention to anything that might seem out of place. The prophecy will provide clues we can look out for."

Tavin looked at his father expectantly, nodded and bolted upstairs to don his costume. Chuckling internally, his father had tricked the council and Tavin himself. He wasn't ignoring his powers, or the danger, he was just doing it his way. Things were different, before his father tolerated his patrols even gave him pointers but never had he sent him out on patrol, this was a big deal and he knew it. His father was trusting him with more responsibility and trusting him out on patrol against something that could destroy the world... YES!!!

Tavin grabbed his costume and switched then calmly stepped into the shadow of the room and out of a shadow of a house next door which he immediately stepped back into and continued this for a little while until he was back into his rythm and far enough away that no one could assume that he came from his house, and he began leaping about, with his eyes peeled for anything interesting or out of the ordinary.

The late afternoon gave plenty of shadows for Tavin to operate in. The sky still retained some of its gray covering, reducing things to twilight.

A car sped through the quiet neighborhood. Tavin could tell that it was easily twenty miles above the limit. Then it hit a pool of water and slid into a pole with a crash of metal and glass.

Tavin was there in a second he leapt down to see why the car was racing and why

it had wrecked prepared for anything and ensuring his defenses were in place he landed a safe 12 feet from the car and cautiously peered in.

The driver had smashed her head against the steering wheel. Apparently she had not asked for airbags. Tavin could smell alcohol, saw blood along the wheel and dashboard, heard a little whine from her lips.

Dark whipped out the pre-pay throw away phone his father had set up for just a situation and called the police as he warily moved forward. He informed the 911 operator of the situation quickly and disguised his voice just as his father had instructed, as soon as the information was out of his mouth and he ensured the dispatcher had the right adress, car description and liscense plate he hung up.

Tavin knew it was better not to move a person who was injured but if the car was a danger to the woman he would have to act, he moved up cautiously and called out to the woman, "Ma'am, can you hear me?" "It is better if you don't move, an ambulance is on its way." Tavin tried to get a better look at the woman as he moved closer and watched her in between quickly examining the damage on the car.

The car was totaled, the engine wrapped around a pole. The front window was cracked, shattered like a spider web. The woman was breathing slowly, blood covered her head and hair, her face looked mishappen. Probably the hit from the steering wheel.

Tavin found a bottle of Jack in the floorboard on the other side. It had about two inches at the bottom of the bottle.

At least there was no gas leaking to the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Page 3-

Tavin knew from the damage that things were not good for the woman, she had not responded so she probably wasn't conscious, He moved in a bit closer and tried once again to talk to the woman, he wondered if he wouldn't have just opened the door and checked her pulse if he was just some random passerby, but he wasn't. He moved up and reached in to tentatively check her pulse.

It seemed weak and slow. She might die at any time.

Tavin saw the bad shape the woman was in and decided it was time for action, he opened the door and reached in and attempted to do what he could for the poor woman.

Tavin didn't know what he could do, but a check allowed him to see that he could move her so she was comfortable. All the damage seemed to be to her skull. Once moved, if he had to he could perform CPR.

Sirens told him he didn't have to wait long for help.

"Damn, this is why you don't drink and drive..." Tavin watched her breathing to make sure she survived until the EMS crew got there. "Come on lady hold on, they are almost here."

A white van with Washington EMS on the side rolled up with a flurry of flashing lights. The paramedics took over from Tavin, asking him questions as they worked.

Then the police arrived with their forms to fill out.

Once Tavin saw the woman was safely in the EMT's hands he nodded and stepped into a shadow, and stepped out way out of their vision, he then leaped away, no sense pushing it speaking to the police. He would probably have to trash this phone to his father would want him to.

He continued his patrol, he wasn't looking for some idiot drunk driver, he would use the phone one more time before trashing it, he would check on the woman and make sure she was okay.

He continued searching for anything of interest.

The Dark saw a glimmer of light near the entrance to one of the little cemeteries that dotted the cityscape. At eight o'clock, he was aware it was much too late to be burying someone, even in the summer time.

Hmmm, now that is interesting. Time to check it out! Dark leapt to where he had a vantage point from the shadows and could look in and see what was going on but without being seen and he examined the entrance, What exactly was going on...

"Lets see" Dark thought to himself.

The three boys put a wooden chest on one grave. They lit candles, murmuring something Tavin couldn't hear. The grave burst open, red light bathing the trio. The chest burst open.

A hand lifted from the grave.

"Damn! What the hell are they doing?" Tavin leapt forward to the open door and as he did he formed a complex set of hand gestures ... and unleashed the house of Darkness level 2. The spot in the cemetery was bathed in darkness, clear as day for Dark but for the boys He was certain things just went sideways.

From the behind the door he peered in and bellowed out in his best imitation of an adult males pissed off voice: "Why do you disturb the slumber of the dead? Tell me and perhaps I will grant you your freedom."

Dark watched them carefully for any sign of weapons, He also watched the hand If it stood up he could surely have a true problem. He would see what seemed to be the greatest threat and react from there.

He is kinda hoping that the idiots may talk back to him instead of moving, that they may even think (if they haven't done this before) that this is normal and they should tell the voice what's what. Plus, he would like to know why.

"Yes, why do you disturb the slumber of the dead?" The voice was feminine, sultry, lighting up the nerves in Tavin with the urge to do something.

A woman ascended from the grave, curly auburn hair blowing in the wind. A shroud hung around her in red cloth. She smiled slightly.

Tavin flashed back to the picture his father had painted and looked at this woman who now lifted from the grave, well this was going south quickly. Tavin followed up his original house of shadows with the other house of shadows. Best to prepare things for a battle the least threatening way. He continued to watch and wait he was as interested in what they had to say, it seemed, as this undead woman was.

Tavin was about forty feet away across an open field marked with little tombstones, or flat markers. The woman lifted her hand, displaying a mark on the palm. She vanished in the spray. The three boys glared in the darkness. Light crossed their faces and hands.

The mark on the woman's palm wrote on them, one piece for each.

Tavin had a very bad feeling about it, probably better get one of them away from this woman right now, Tavin leapt to the nearest boy landed grabbed the boy and pushed off with all his might jettisoning himself out of the graveyard and back out into the light of the street. He didn't know what was going on but too many horror movies started this way, and the stupid humans ended up as sacrifices. This generally gave the sacrificer or the one eating the sacrifices incredible power, and well, best to suppress that ASAP.

The boy, face noticeably paler and thinner, spread his arms open. Tavin found himself in a dark world, surrounded by things that looked at him as dinner. He could feel them tense to surge and eat him with a rending and tearing.

"Sh*t!" That didn't work, Thank the lord I can get out of here, Tavin raised a hand to his face and reappeared in the corner he had previously picked which was a little away from this crazy kid and his evil little monsters. He may be in something very deep all of a sudden.

Tavin realized his teleportation would not work across dimensional planes.

"Well, that won't work, hmm, this could be bad. Well, I jumped into it

hopefully there is a way out." He scanned about in search of an exit

from this place and prepared to fight for his life.

Tavin saw a slowly closing hole in the air. The biggest animal decided to charge and missed the smaller darkness user, landing with a clawing screech on the ground.

• 4 weeks later...

Page 4-

Tavin immediately jumped back through the ever shrinking hole.

He barely made it, feeling the portal snap shut behind him as he landed on the street. Tavin heard a snick above him.

Tavin didn't need to think for a second, he twisted right and spun knowing quite well what that noise was, and it was danger. Tavin did a glancing look as he twisted away.

A scythe came down in the street. There was a moment of vertigo, and pain. Tavin felt flame wrap around his body as he was given a lift in the air. He crashed down on the other side of the road.

The boy hero's shirt stuck to his side.

The boy he had ambushed had been joined by one of the others, holding a scythe of moving metal. The tattoos glowed as they regarded the Dark with red eyes.

"We should kill him." A monster with gaping maw and strange eyes appeared from the first boy's chest, dropping to the ground.

"Let's play." The scythe flickered under the street lights. "Do you want to play a game with us, goober? Do you want to live a little while longer?"

"Well, I guess I could have a little fun with a fool like you, but first tell me why are you here and where did you come from?"

He watched them intently.

"Well, the name is Dark, my sensei told me it is always good form to give the doomed the name of their destroyer so that they may rest in peace."

"Big talk from someone who's going to bleed to death in the next few minutes." The scythe lifted, then stamped the ground in an audible roll of thunder. "This is what's going to happen. We have X amount of souls we need to take until we have enough. We'll take one a day until you stop us. You can hunt us in the daytime, and we'll hunt you at night. To make it more interesting, we'll let you have time to recover."

"Ha, pretty funny, How about I just kill you now. Bring your little toy too, I am gonna shove it were the sun don't shine." Dark stepped forward and the darkness coalesced around him and his hands became covered with solid dark energy.

"How about say hello to my little friends." The other boy opened his arms. A swarm of those dark monsters began to pour out on the street, filling the space around his body like a pack of angry watchdogs. "How about we don't have to play at all. How about let's go."

"We're giving you a fair chance to take us on one at a time." The scythe danced at the end of its holder's arm. "If you think you can take all three of us right here, right now, then we can dance. It's no matter when we kill you."

"Well, then one at a time it will be, whoever wants to be destroyed first come forward!"

Tavin heard the sound of insects behind him, it was loud enough to sound like bacon frying on the griddle

"Damn" he thought another one, he quickly spun in place preparing to dodge whatever came at him from behind and smiled grimly, this three on one could be tough...

Tavin spotted two glowing eyes in the middle of a cloud of particles. The eyes drifted in opposite directions to look at the other two monsters from the ceremony. The buzzsaw revved up as stray motes cut pieces out of the asphalt under it.

"That's right." The scythe slinger sighed. "He doesn't want to play the game. Do what you want to him."

The cloud of particles advanced on Tavin as the other two summoned mounts to ride away.

"Since we don't have a game, we might as well kill everybody we see before sun up." The scythe thumped the sides of his metal horse, urging it on.

The pack master had summoned an especially big specimen as his horse, pointing ahead. All of his monsters howled at the same time, before running down the street in a slowly speeding stampede of dark furry flesh.

"Damn this isn't good he looked at the beast in front of him and simply raised his hand and snapped his fingers a black flame leapt from his hand and onto the monster.

The fireball flew through the whirling cloud of particles before it blew up against the fence around the cemetery. It reached for Tavin with a buzzsaw hand.

Tavin nodded, "As I figured, beast." Tavin instantly released the power holding up the flames and switched gears, had to get away from the buzzsaw and get back to him with an attack that would damage him. He clawed his hands and brought up his shadow shredding power, "Lets see you stop this freak!" Tavin waited for the attack to come twisted out of the way and then slammed his darkness empowered hand into its belly.

The protective fireflies ripped at Tavin's arm, slicing his protective armor, and shield. He could see blood and cloth start ripping through the air.

Things didn't look so good for Tavin, he seemed like he might be on the wrong end of the whooping stick.

Blood dripped down Tavin's arm from sticking it in the meat grinder, and from his side from the scythe's surprise attack earlier.

Tavin shook his head, "I don't know how much more of this I can take" he thought to himself. He was practically kneeling holding the shoulder of the bad arm as it dripped blood onto the ground. As the beast steadily approached Tavin flung his injured arm up splattering the blood across the "eyes" and let free the darklings.

He chuckled as the darklings rushed forward and entered unhindered into the form. " Take that you son of a b****!" Tavin thought. He stood perfectly erect and looked directly at the beast. He simply stated, "I will never allow you to hunt innocents. So, now you die."

Tavin could see the whirling bees slow their whirlwind dance around that central locus. He could almost see angry eyes floating in the air. He had bought time. Now he needed something that would take care of the problem for good.

• 2 months later...

Page 5-

"I wonder what your weakness is my friend," Tavin looked about "I wonder if your little friends can stop something big and hard, Tavin walked over to a truck parked close by he calmly gripped the heavy bumper and used his claws to slice it cleanly from the vehicle. "Ever played baseball, dick?" Tavin charged forward, "It is my grandfather's favorite!!!" He rushed right up to the monster and swung with the large bumper right into the swirling mass... He prepares himself for

either reaction if it seems to just go through he will continue the swing and bring himself back a step, and see how much damage was done to the bumper, if it hits something... well then a small area effect might just be the answer. Tavin may have to push and pick up a small car and throw it at this guy.

The bumper sliced through the swarm. It was covered with tiny bite marks when it came through the other side.

Tavin smiled and began his swing again this time getting closer, right behind the bumper this time though comes an empowered hand trailing behind the bumper. Which slaps out and up toward the eyes and then is very quickly retracted.

"Take that!"

The bumper snapped in two. One end stayed in Tavin's hand, the other flew across the street. Pain erupted in Tavin's fist as he put it in the field of fireflies. He can see his dark powered armor start peeling away from his hand.

Damn that field was annoying he thought to himself, what I wouldn't give for a nice force field right now....

Hmmm, Tavin looked at the thing again... he couldn't tell if it was taking as much damage as he was or if he was the loser in this battle so far. It was becoming frustrating since the beast hadn't even attempted to hit him yet... so most likely he wasn't really hurting it very much. Tavin did a quick scan of his surroundings what could he use against this guy?

Then he had an Idea, maybe the shield worked on him seeing the attacks coming...

Tavin encased the beast in darkness.

The particles moved around, reaching for him with its buzzsaw hands, ready to take him apart.

"Well, here we go, Hope this works." He leapt up and over the now blinded monster that was encased in a large ball of shadow. Landing behind the monster he took another swipe at the monster.

Tavin's hands reached down inside the swirling mass. He could see the flesh start to peel away from his hand as it passed through. A couple more like that he might lose the hand altogether.

Tavin was pretty much out of ideas... He couldn't keep this up, he was fighting a losing battle since despite his numerous attacks which normally killed monsters, He didn't seem to be doing anything to this monster. Tavin had tried pretty much everything he could, and was very close to just leaving. He could not win against this monster. not without losing his limbs. Tavin wrapped his hand and disappeared into the night, It was obvious he was utterly outmatched by the monster,

there was no way he could defeat the thing and there was no point in his dying for no reason. Tavin left, and returned home to his father and explained to him the situation, they would have to call someone in much more powerful than tavin since his most powerful attacks didn't even phase the monster. Maybe he could call in one of those monster heros like Perun or the such. Someone who might be on par with such a powerful being.

Tavin's father worked on his arms as he listened to Tavin's story.

"This is bad, Tavin." He turned on the radio. Flipping through the channels, the disc jockeys were issuing bulletins of weird monster attacks on people in the street. The descriptions matched the three monsters that the Dark had encountered. "We need to do something about this. I will handle the monster you couldn't touch if you can handle the other two. We need to hold them until daylight if we can."

Tavin nodded to his father, "Nothing ventured nothing gained... Lets go!"

Tavin had his choice of the Scythe at the Vietnam wall, or the Monster Rancher making his way along Massachusetts Avenue.

Tavin had already dealt with the scythe once, he figured why not once again.

Tavin's teleport took him across town in time to see the devil rider fling a slash of energy at the traffic. The blade blasted a car apart.

Tavin was taking no chances this time, he fired off his first attack while the rider was distracted, he saw how effective the darklings had been on the last rider so he figured he should start with that. He released the darklings at the riders back and smiled as they swarmed about the rider and dug themselves inside his body and slowed the monsters movements.

"Hey, punk!" You didn't forget about me did you? I said I was coming back for you. Let's dance." Tavin had seen the monster fight twice now and he was prepared for its attacks. He got ready to unleash his second attack, the darkflame began to grow inside him but he waited for the monster to move.

"You should have taken the deal." The Scythe slung another blade at a car trapped by traffic. The blade sliced through the windows, and the passengers. "You wanted to fight it out. Big mistake for all these innocent civilians."

Tavin looked at the destruction caused by the scythe wielder, he prepared and fired, Unleashing the Darklings on the monster again, obviously this guy was a little faster than the other but he had to slow the thing down and then he would smash him.

Tavin looked at the monster... "Perchance you are correct lowly summoned beast, maybe I should have taken your deal, but it sure seemed just like what we are doing now... so... Fight me and

lets get this over with, I am hunting you, so stop acting like a child bully attacking the defenseless and face your destruction like a real... well whatever the hell you are."

"I'm just doing my job." The Scythe raised his weapon, ready to sling blades among the bystanders.

"Your job eh? well then... What exactly is your job and why not try flinging one of those things this way." Tavin knew he needed to make sure that he didn't get hit with one of those vicious attacks. He reached out again and called to another group of Darklings... *"Assist your brethren and stop his movements, invade him and keep your master's enemy from attacking or moving." Tavin prepared for the Scythe slinger's attack and reached out with his own. The darklings sprung from his shadow and leapt all the way across to the monster and began to burrow their way in, within milliseconds they were inside the monster and slowing him down as well.

The Scythe moved down the street, wobbling under the three attacks. He swung his blade, barely able to hold it on course. A sweeping blade landed at Tavin's feet and exploded. Cars on either side of the shadow fighter were punctured by the exploding blade.

Tavin smirked, good the monster was after him now, while it was good it was after him instead of the innocent people he was still after tavin... guess I have to take the fight to him.

Tavin leapt into the air using the shadows as a springboard and willing them to propel hi forward toward the scythe, they grabbed him in mid air and landed him gently behind the beast,) as he landed the boy reached out and touched the monster with his hand and enacted his shadow shredding claws which tore into the scythe wielder's back.

Sparks leap off the back of the creature as his coat is ripped along the shoulders.

The Scythe realized he had been slowed down by whatever the Dark had done to him. He decided to get away so he could recover.

He roared off on his motorcycle, vanishing in the distance.

• 4 months later...

Tavin gave chase, he couldn't allow the beast to escape, and he leapt after him as fast as he possibly could, pushing his leaping to its limits.

Tavin looked longingly at the bike as it rocketed off and he followed almost as quickly, "I have gotta get me one of those!"

Tavin leaped from building to building, but was quickly left in the dust by the roaring motorcycle. He did know the cyclist was moving toward the Potomac faster than any normal bike.

Tavin moved to the top of the Washington Monument to see if he could find the motorcycle riding monster.

Tavin spotted the enemy down by the river just off the road. Naturally he wasn't moving. It would take the shadow ninja sometime to get there even with teleportation, but he had plenty of time.

Tavin moved as quickly as possible, to get to the thing, no sense in wasting time, It may take a long time to destroy the beast.

The Scythe lay motionless on the ground, surrounded by green and red frogs. They looked up at Tavin in unison before heading for the river.

Tavin felt a tide of uneasiness rising in him as he watched the frogs scurry away... "Does that mean what I think it means..." Tavin was very uncomfortable. He made a mental note to tell his father as soon as he spoke to him again and reached deep within him. "I apologize for the lack of decorum here my not so honorable opponent, but I must destroy you... I really have no other choice... for this" Tavin calmly said as he reached his fist back and dark power engulfed his hand as he plunged it down toward the chest of the scythe wielder "IS MY JOB!" he exclaimed milliseconds before smashing his fist into the beast.

"You suck." The Scythe looked up through his armored face plate. "You hit like a little girl."

One frog looked on, off to one side.

Tavin heard sirens from Fire/Rescue and police coming down the highways toward the open streets that the Scythe had used as his hunting ground. They must be taxed badly with the unleashing of three killing monsters.

Dark chuckled to himself, "almost forgot about Johnny Law... Gotta keep that temper in check..." he looked down and said, "Well Mister Scythe, I don't think the police will take kindly to, I was just doing my job either, so get ready for a long long time in jail. Now time to dispatch your friend." He made sure the monster's weapon and vehicle were out of reach and the police were in view before he took off in full pursuit of the other monster.

The Dark knew the Monster Wrangler had been reported working his way along Massachusetts Avenue, heading north. That meant he was heading away from the Potomac with his monsters.

Dark leapt down to the street, in the path of the oncoming monster, "Well we meet again, I have already defeated your partner already, why don't you just give up and lets move along."

The empty street seemed silent for the amount of damage he could see with his naked eye. Then there was the cry of a baby in one of the houses and the scream of a woman.

The monsters were still around, and reaping for the woman from the grave.

Massachusetts Avenue ran the length of the city, composed of residential areas, historical overlaps, and some commercial buildings. As Tavin reached the street, he could see that shadow monsters had left their mark on some of the houses and apartment buildings.

Bloody claw marks marked their progress north along the avenue. Any normal human meeting the things from the third boy would certainly be maimed, if not killed.

"Well, guess that didn't work..." Dark moved into action, approaching the first of the monsters and unleashing a kick.

The Dark's move caused monsters to appear to surround him with something like blood lust in their eyes. Claws shimmered with oily darkness as they growled at him.

At least he had been able to divert the attention from the woman inside the apartment building with his bold move. She screamed so he knew she was alive, but not her condition.

Dark saw what looked like it could be bad for him. He prepared to use defensive maneuvers to avoid their attacks, He looked at the monster he attacked to see what damage he had done to it as he slowly and carefully backed away from the voice to hopefully keep the monsters away from her.

"If it isn't the hero." The voice emitted from all the monsters as they hunched ready to attack. "What would you do, hero, to save the woman? Would you even try to save her?"

Dark could see at least 20 of the beasts around him, with the one he bruised. More eyes were drifting closer join the crowd standing outside of arm's reach. One wrong move and he would be the chum in the middle of a feeding frenzy.

Dark chuckled, " I am the hero aren't I fool. But truthfully I came to kick your **s like I did to your friend, can't be letting you make me look like a fool and get away with it now can I?" Dark backed up a step to get a clear path to leap up to the building behind him so that he could cling to it and maybe get an upper hand on these beasts. "So, shall we? Or are you ok with the fact that Scythe boy is taking a nap in a nice maximum meta security prison and his motorcycle is at the bottom of a river... Ahh the memories... as I remember it he wasn't even that good of a fight... maybe I was just off my game when I fought your friend, you guys really don't seem that tough." Dark knew he was pushing his luck, but he maintained his pushed up cockiness, He knew this guy would not be an easy fight, he was hoping he could irritate it enough to come after him and leave the woman alone, and he could either hold out or do well enough that his grandfather could come and assist him.

"I don't like to fight." The voice said from the army of minions keeping their eye on the hero. "And I have almost completed my part of the mission. A few more collected tonight or tomorrow won't make that much of a difference to the Gatekeeper. So I'm willing to put the challenge down for you if you're man enough to step up to the plate."

Dark smiled, well he had accomplished one objective. "ha, cheap words beast, Lets do this.." Dark's cockiness was all an act and a good one at that. However, the thing that wasn't an act was his fighting skill... he took a millisecond and fell into himself, and steadied himself for the battle to come. He reached out with his senses as his Grandfather had taught him, all else faded away, he entered his stance calm and ready to battle. "Come beast, it is high time some one sent you back to hell."

"I told you. I don't fight ever." The monsters continued to speak in their master's voice, but the Dark noticed they were moving to use the nearby walls and roofs as launch points if he attacked. "I'm willing to let you have the woman if you think you can find her. Let's say five minutes. After that, she's dog food. Of course if you don't want to play, she's dog food anyway. What's it going to be, hero?"

• 1 month later...

Dark knew this probably wasn't a good idea, "Fine freak, what's the deal? I find her and then you give up?"

"I got half of what I need." The voice called from each monster slightly. "I'm willing to wait until tomorrow night to get the other half if you win. If you lose, you go home and leave things alone for the rest of the night. That seems fair to me. That and the woman are what's on the table."

Dark nodded, "Let us begin."

"Get ready, get set, go." The crowd of monsters vanished into darkness. One monster appeared running on the street. A screaming woman was tied to his back. Then he vanished into shadow much like Dark did.

A scream sounded further along the street.