Champions game one shot. =)

Ragdoll

I'm trying to design a one shot game (hopefully longer term if they like it) for some friends, and I decided to use a sort of 'emergence' campaign where metahumans are just coming to light in the modern world of 2007.

I am a little 'curious' though about what social effects this might have given the current state of the world right now?

More to the point I'm also interested in the point level. I've decided to make it a 250 point game. But I noticed the Def/rDef category lists average defenses as 12/6. Is their a 'guideline' I could use for pegging the defenses of say a Brick archetype, as I assume their def and rdef would be (be default) much higher, but how much? How much is too much for the game's point level? Should I place it in synch for the active points and or DC's allowed for the 250 point level?

Any help is appreciated, thanks. =)

Re: Champions game one shot. =)

In out 250 pt. games we put a cap on defenses of 25 PD/ 25 ED. Usually only our Bricks hit this cap. The reasoning behind the cap is based on a rough AP maximum of 50 pts. (which is typical for a 250 pt. game).

IMHO, if you go with a cap on defenses you should probably put an equivalent cap (50 APs or roughly 10d6) on attacks as well. If you allow stronger attacks, Stuns and Knockouts come much quicker.

For example: A 10d6 attack will average ~35 pts. Against a Defense of 25, this will usualy do ~10 damage (35 - 25 = 10). Replace this with a 12d6 attack (~42 pts. on average) and your damage almost doubles (42 - 25 = 17 pts.)!

I hope this helps.

Re: Champions game one shot. =)

While this won't help you from a mechanical standpoint, you might want to pick up the new M&M adventure from Green Ronin called A More Perfect Union. The adventure is for the new Paragons setting and it's all about the emergence of superhumans in a real world setting. The sample characters in the back would be incredibly easy to convert to Champions because the powers are both described by special effects as well as giving you game mechanics write-ups. Here's the ad blurb:

A Perfect Town to Live In...

Welcome to Unity, the perfect town, where the people are friendly, and everyone knows everyone. It's a great place to live—so great, in fact, that you may never want to leave....

A More Perfect Union is the premier adventure for the Paragons campaign setting for the Mutants & Masterminds superhero roleplaying game. When a group of newly awakened paranormals is drawn to a sleepy rural town, everything seems perfect—a little too perfect. They discover strange events and a threat that could endanger the entire world! Can they resist Unity's seductive spell and do what must be done to safeguard humanity?

The adventure comes complete with everything you need to play and introduce the players to the strange new world of Paragons: It includes six complete paranormal characters and guidelines for players to create their own, along with mass combat rules for Mutants & Masterminds to handle the kind of challenges they'll face in the town of Unity.

Dive into the strange and exciting new world of Paragons, where normal people wield paranormal powers, and change the future of the world! The decision is up to you...

...Unity or Freedom?

The sample characters in the game are PL 6, so that would make them around 200-250 point Champs characters.

Edit: Found the cover pic.

grr2516_450.jpg