New NBC Show--Life

CorPse

Hey Gang,

Just got this freebie from Blockbuster that's a preview of a fistful of new NBC shows: Life, Journeyman, & The Bionic Woman.

Life has a pretty good DC character origin. Detective Charlie Crews (played by Damien Lewis--who's excellent in Band of Brothers) is a cop that's been in a maximum security prison for 12 years.

Turns out some new DNA evidence proves that he's innocent. As part of his settlement he: 1. Gets a crapload of money, and 2. Is reinstated on the LAPD.

So, the show starts with his first case back. We discover that he got attacked a number of times in prison... and that inside of gettting Jesus in the joint, he got Buddha. Every now and then, he'll spout a little fortune-cookish philosophy, which is so-so... except for the moment when the line, "No Zen for Dad," comes up. (You'll have to see it to know what I mean.)

It's an interesting idea, and despite and excellent cast which includes Robin Weigert, I can't say I was blown away. Maybe a B-.

However, it's an interesting idea... a detective who's rich, quirky, a serious student of Zen, and who's going to get to the bottom of the frame-up that sent him to jail. [insert in campaign here.]

Re: New NBC Show--Life

Yeah, I remember seeing a blurb for this one on YouTube (I think). I was going to give the premiere a look just because I enjoyed Damien Lewis' work on Band of Brothers (but then, that series was truly awesome). Your lead-up makes me wonder if the series will be episodic or serial in nature -- or like Babylon 5, somewhere in between.

Matt "It-could-be-an-interesting-fall" Frisbee

Yeah...

I was a little discouraged because it all seemed a little forced. Like it would have been a lot better if they hadn't been trying so hard.

My guess is that they'll be the weekly crime to solve, with the overall "Who Framed Me?" plot running in the background.

I like shows that are a mix between episodic and serial. The episodic nature allows the writers to have the characters deal with a lot more situations while the serial story runs in the background (Cold Case, Bones, B5, etc...)

the new Bionic Woman is interesting (saw the pilot) with Katee Sackoff ("Starbuck" from BSG) as a Bionic Woman in opposition to the new (Jamie Sommers) model.

So far I liked what I saw.Lewis & Arkin are the best parts of the show for me.I keep watching it,as I'm a big fan of both actors.I like the rappor he has so far with his new Partner,but I think his old partner has something to do with him goin' ta jail.

Another show I'm liking so far is K-Ville.It's about 2 cops in New Orleans post Katrina.Ones a con who came up with a new id after Katrina to start over.I've seen two episodes so far & I think I'll keep up with it.