Over The Edge Hero

Dumok

Converting Over The Edge To Hero System RPG

By Dumok Duvalle (Madgoblin2001@yahoo.com)

Introduction: Well, let's see, Over the Edge and Hero would look like two totally different systems, OTE is a very rules Light system, while Hero tends to deal with alot of Number crunching. Both systems are very flexible allowing the players to create any kind of Characters to fit into the Genre the GM sets up. This article plans to set up an easy way to convert the Characters of OTE in a way that makes sense. First some basic guidelines:

1) In Hero system Players start with 100 points in Hero and can have up to 75 points in disadvantages (For a total of 175 points). This is the recommended guideline.

2) Don’t be afraid to flesh out the character if the conversion leaves the player with a lot of points to mess around with. Buy extra skills, maybe a language or two or beef up stats as you see fit.

Traits to Dice: Over the Edge uses traits to determine what a character is like. The player starts with One Prime trait, two side traits and a Flaw of some kind.

The definition of the traits determine how much dice are allocated to them

Broad traits: general abilities and characteristics, which may include several types of generic skills

Narrow traits: a focused trait, which may be a characteristic or a skill.

Narrow and technical: traits, which give the character skills in a scientific or mechanical profession. This may include a characteristic.

Technical/Unusual: These are traits that include Fringe Science, or Fringe powers and often give the character a "Psychic pool" to fuel powers.

Flaws: these usually assign a penalty die with certain actions.

Broad Traits: When determining Broad traits use the description to figure out what characteristic it would fit under. Lets take Lydia Goodman for example; She has the traits of Imposing (Four dice) defined as Presence and Resources (No dice code) using the sign of Jewelry. She is a Sommerite with a couple of Bennies and is defined as a refined woman of some beauty.

Using the following chart, we can figure out how to create her.

Broad Traits Hero Characteristic:

Stealth, Strength, Straight-Facing

Average: 2 dice 10 /Base Skill

Good: 3 dice 13/ Skill +1-+2

Superior: 4 Dice 15/ Skill +3-+4

5 Dice 18/ Skill +5-+6

6 Dice 20/ Skill +7 and up.

Narrow Traits Hero Characteristic/ Skill

Public Speaking/ Cooking

Average 2 dice 10 Base Skill

Good: 4 Dice 15 Skill +1-+3

Superior 6 dice 20 Skill +4 and up

Narrow & Technical Hero Characteristic/ Skill

Helicopter Pilot, Dentistry

Average: 0 Dice 10/ No Skill

Good: 2 Dice 20/ Skill +1-+5

Superior: 4 Dice 25/ Skill +6 and up.

Technical Or Unusual Trait Hero Skill/ points in a Power

Doctor, Fringe Power

Average: 0 dice No Skill/ 0 points

Good: 1 Dice Base Skill/ 10 Points

Superior: 2 Dice Skill +1-3/ 20 points

As you noticed I used a bit of common sense to figure out the number scheme.

For Broad traits over 6 use the following scale: +1 Dice Over 2d = integers of 3, 5, 8 for example 8 dice in a broad trait gives the character a characteristic of 25, a nine dice trait gives a characteristic of 28, 10 dice equals a characteristic of "30". Once the Characteristic reaches "30" add +5 for every dice there after.

For Narrow Traits, I use integers of 5: 10, 15, and 20.

For Skill Levels, This is where the GM will most likely need to use common sense. If the Trait is broad enough to warrant three of four skills

Going back to Lydia Goodman: Here is how her Hero stats come out so far.

Strength: 10

Dexterity: 10

Constitution: 10

Body: 10

Intelligence: 13: 3pts.

Ego 13: 6 pts.

Presence: 20: 10 pts.

Comeliness: 16: 3 pts.

In case you did not notice, Nowhere in the description does it note how intelligent or Willful Lydia is, However I figured that since She is a patron of the arts, she should have a better than average intelligence and Ego especially since she has people coming to her all the time for favors. I treated the Imposing as a Narrow trait giving her a 20 Presence (This would give her exactly a 4d6 presence attack should she need it). I also gave her a 16 comeliness to reflect just how beautiful this woman is. True I could have given her less but a woman with her wealth can afford some cosmetic surgery and the various other ways woman in her station make themselves pretty.

Talents and perks:

Money: Filthy Rich 15 points: Since her trait: Resources did not have a die code I figured that the description would give me a rough estimate of How much Money She had. Since it indicated she had alot of Money, I figured She was Filthy Rich. This could always be adjusted later in the character creation process and with experience.

Membership: Sommerites: 6 points Due to her generous donations, She is a highly respected Member in the Sommerite religion

Membership: Al-Amarjan High Society 7 points. She can throw some decent parties and maybe get a D'Aubaine to show up.

Follower: Miguel Acao: 15 points (75 points for character creation) I figured that Miguel had to be a competent body guard so I gave her 15 points in this particular follower. I could always give Him extra points in Disads and with experience to make Him more accurate.

Follower: Marsha Grunder: 15 Points (75 Points for character creation) Marsha is a scientist Lydia has Hired. Again I figured She should be a competent person otherwise Lydia would not have Hired Her.

Follower: Ferdi Alli: 15 Points (75 Points for Character creation) an Operative that works for Goodman, He handles a lot of her espionage and covert ops.

Contact: Earthlings: 11 or less: 2 points. (This was indicated by the description, She doesn’t have enough points to be a member yet)

Contact: Husband (Nigel Goodman): 15 or less: 10 points I decided to make Her husband a contact since the story indicate that Lydia and her Husband have remained together out of convenience. they Love each other deeply, they just have different lives to lead. the 15 or less indicates that there is very little that He would deny her.

Now on to skills:

High Society: 15 or less: 7 points

Conversation: 15 or less: 7 points

Persuasion: 15 or less: 7 points

Beurocracy: 13 or less: 3 points.

Knowledge Skill: Fine Arts: 15 or less 7 points

Sommerite Religion: 15 or less: 7 points

Streetwise: 13 or less: 3 points

Professional Skill: Benefactor 16 or less: 8 points.

Dancing: 13 or less: 4 points

Seduction: 13 or less: 3 points

Languages: British English (Native language) 0 points

French (Completely fluent with accent) 3 points

Spanish (Completely Fluent with accent) 3 points

Lydia's point total so far:

Characteristics: 22 points

Talents/Perks: 85 points

Skills: 62 points

total: 169 points

This pretty much means that I may have to give Lydia some disadvantages, If I want to balance her out for a PC. However, I could just rule that since She is an NPC, she could have bought the Disads She had, off. However Looking closer Lydia Does have some Enemies:

Disadvantages:

Hunted:

Movers (More Powerful: 15 points, Non Combat Influence: 5 points, Mildly Punish: -5 points, 11 or Less: 5 points.) -20 points

Glorious Lords: (As Powerful: 10 points, Non Combat Influence: 5 Points, Harshly Punish: 0 points, 11 or less: 5)-20 points.

Rivalry: Arthur Compton (Professional: I figured She and Compton were More Rivals than enemies, albeit One is “Good” and the Other is “Evil” they both try to change the Island in different ways.) –5 points

Since the Rules state that Lydia is an experienced character I decided to give her a bonus of 24 points to justify having experience. Kind of Like the old Hero Bonus for champions.

So here is Lydia Goodman, All ready for action. Just make up her Bennies and you are set.

The basic rule I would suggest to a GM is to use common sense and don’t be afraid to extrapolate as long as it keeps to the original intent of the character.

Now here are some of the races that reside on Al-Amarja that I converted to Hero, treat these as package Deals.

Glugs:

+3 Constitution: 6 points

+3 Body: 6 points

Mental Defense: (+20 Points): 20 Points

Night Vision: 5 points

Sex Sweat: 3d6 transformation: 45 active points (No Range (-1/2), Only During Sex (-1/2), 0 End (+1/2) Confers the Disadvantage: Dependence: Sex With Glug (Uncommon, -1 to all skill rolls, once per day. =5 points): 30 points

+3 w/ disguise, stealth, and persuasion: 9 points

Susceptibility: Stimulants: Very Common/ 2d6 stun (Instant): -25 points

Berserk: After Drinking stimulants: (common/ 14 or less to enter, 8 or less to leave): -30 points

Hunted: Pharaohs (More Powerful, Non Combat Influence, 8 or less): -20 points

Total: 3 points to play a Glug

Kergillian Hosts:

+5 Dex: 15 points

+1 Speed: 10 points

+1 Enhanced Perception: 3 points

+20 Stun: 20 points.

Psych Lim: Strange urges: (Common/ Strong): -15 points

Total: 33 Points.

Pharaohs:

Unaging: 5 points

+25 Dexterity: 75 points

+25 Intelligence: 25 points

+25 Presence: 25 points

-10 Constitution: -20 points

+25 presence vs. Humans (-1/4) 20 points

Money: Wealthy: 10 points

Does not understand Modern Technology (Very Common/ Strong): -20 points

Dependence: Apep's Breath (Uncommon/ 3d6 damage/ 1x per day): -15 Points

Rival: Other Pharaohs (Professional): -5

Total: 100 Points

Note: Pharaohs should be built on 200 points +150 Points in Disadvantages.

Aphids:

Apep’s Breath 3d6 aid to Con: 30

Dependency: Feeding Pharaohs Apep's breath: (Uncommon, -1 to all skills, -3 to characteristics, 1x per day) -10

Social Limitation: Slave -20

Distinctive features: (Not Concealable/ Major Reaction/ Not In Culture) -15

Total: -15 points

Empties:

Unaging: 5 points

+20 Body: 40 points

-10 Ego: -20 points

2d6 transfer Magic Points to Ego: 30 points

2d6 Healing: Self Only (-1/2), 0 End (+1/2), Always On (-1/2): 13 points

Social Limitation: Slave: -20 points

Berserk: In Combat (Common), 11 or less to enter, 8 or less to leave: -35 points

Hunted: Al-Amarja Peace force: (More Powerful/ Non Combat Influence/ 14 or less/ Enslavement): -30 points

Tulpas:

Telepathy: 4d6 (0 End (+1/2), Always On (-1/2)): 20 points.

Shape-Shift: Any Humanoid form, Imitation (0 End (+1/2), Linked to telepathy (-1/2): 40 Points

Accidental Change: Being discovered as a Tulpa (Uncommon, Always): -20 points

Hunted: Sandmen (As Powerful, 11 or less, for excreta): -10 points.

Psych Lim: Secretive (Common, Total): -20 points.

Total: 10 points.

Some Other People In Over the Edge

Otto’s Men (Typical)

Str: 13

Dex: 13

Con: 10

Body: 10

Int: 10

Ego: 13

Pre: 8

Com: 10

Pd: 3

Ed: 2

Spd: 2

Rec: 5

End: 20

Stun: 21

+1 OCV with Club (Total OCV: 5)

+1 Perception: (roll= 12 or Less)

Interrogation: 11 or less

Club: +0 Ocv, DMG: 4d6+ Str (6½ d6) AR: 30

Loyal to Otto: Very Common/ Strong

Lousy at Expressing Himself (Common, strong)

Base Damage: 2½ d6

Phases: 6,12

They come in patrols of 3-18

Glorious Lords

(The Blessed)

Str: 13: 3

Dex: 13: 9

Con: 10

Bod: 10

Int: 10

Ego: 10

Pre: 13: 3

Com: 10

Pd: 3

Ed: 2

Spd: 2

Rec: 5

End: 20

Stun: 21

Base Damage: 2½ d6

Phase: 6,12

+2 Ocv w/ Melee Weapons (Total OCV: 5): 10 points

+1 Dcv Vs. Melee Weapons (Total DCV: 5): 5 points

+10 Points worth of Powers (Selkut Effect)

For Quick Glorious Lords Here’s a Chart:

1: +1 Speed

2: 6 points worth of Armor (The GM Decides PD/ED Distribution)

3: +10 Strength (+5 Stun)

4: 2 Levels of Density Increase (400kg, +10 Str, -2 KB, +2 PD, +2 Ed)

5: 2d6 Energy Blast

6: 1d6 Ego Attack

+10 Points worth of Powers (Selkut Effect)

1: +5 Con (+1 ED, +2 Stun)

2: Tracking Smell

3: +3 PER Roll

4: 2d6 Sight Flash

5: 5” Flight

6: +5” Running

Dependence: Selkut Poisoning: (Uncommon: 15, Character’s Powers require 11 or less activation roll: 5, Weakness: -3 to all Characteristics per Time Increment: 5, 1/day –15) –10

Distinctive Features: Scars, Tattoos (Concealable, Major Reaction) –15

Total: 25 pts.

Agara Rat-Folk

**Personal Creations**

LoveCraftians (Pervert Mutants)

Type: Mutant SubGroup

Rep: Perverts.

Brief: a type of Mutant that occasionally comes up with tentacles and a heightened sex Drive.

Allies: Mutants

Enemies: Otto’s men, Earthlings,

LoveCraftians (Named after HP LoveCraft a famous Sci-Fi Author who would often write about tentacled Monsters raping women. Although they are also called Hentai-Monsters as well Neither term is considered polite) are a type of Mutant that occur, they develop a heightened sex drive and more often than Not prey on adolescent Girls and Women. LoveCraftians are actually quite populous on Al-Amarja and there is often quite a bit of information about them. Most pretty Much try to lay Low and Mingle with the Mutant population. Other times they go out stalking other times they are sought by Jaded Pleasure seekers looking for a hint of Danger.

They are Humanoid in shape with translucent skin, and Four to Eight Tentacles, which resemble Penises (In fact that is what they are.) They tend to resemble Arabs or Hispanics depending on the family Line Often times Mingling into the Dominant Culture wherever possible.

Str: +5

Dex:+8

Con: +5

Body: +5

Int: -2

Ego:-2

Pre: -2

Com: -2

Tentacles: Extra limbs

Heat Vision: IR Vision

Stubborn: Mental Defense (+5 Points)

Hideous: Not Concealable /Extreme reaction/ Not In Culture

Lecherous: Common/ Strong

Total: 2 points to play a LoveCraftian.

Re: Over The Edge Hero

(Named after HP LoveCraft a famous Sci-Fi Author who would often write about tentacled Monsters raping women.

excuse me????

I can't think of many H.P.Lovecraft stories that even had women in them, let alone women that got molested. There was Lavinia Whately, admittedly, but that was entirely consentual.

excuse me????

I can't think of many H.P.Lovecraft stories that even had women in them, let alone women that got molested. There was Lavinia Whately, admittedly, but that was entirely consentual.

I know I know I'm sorry, I was kind of half way over tired when I finished writting it and I was using it as a quickie template for a character I was writting about at the time...

Shreds

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost

35 STR 15

13 DEX 9

20 CON 20

15 BODY 10

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

8 COM -1

10 PD 5

8 ED 4

4 SPD 7

10 REC 2

40 END 0

50 STUN 2

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

5" LEAP -2

Characteristics Cost: 81

Cost Power

6 Berserk Fury: +10 STR (10 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only when berserk; -1/4)

8 Berserk Fury: +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only while berserk; -1/4)

8 Berserk Fury: +10 STUN (10 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only while berserk; -1/4)

6 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -3"

2 Tougher even than he looks: Lack Of Weakness (-2) for Normal Defense

Powers Cost: 30

Cost Skill

15 +3 with HTH Combat

2 CK: The Edge 11-

2 CuK: Criminal Underworld 11-

2 KS: Needlework 11-

1 KS: Satanic Dogma 8-

0 Language: Al Amarjan patois (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

2 PS: Gangster 11-

1 PS: Needlework 8-

3 Streetwise 13-

10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH)

Skills Cost: 41

Cost Perk

3 Fringe Benefit: Membership

2 Reputation: as an unstoppable berserker (All over the Edge) 11-, +2/+2d6

Perks Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 157

Pts. Disadvantage

5 Dependence: Seklut Poison Weakness: -3 To Characteristic Rolls and related rolls per time increment (Uncommon, 1 Day)

20 Distinctive Features: Huge man covered in tattoos (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

45 Enraged: Berserk In Combat (Very Common), go 14-, recover 8-

5 Physical Limitation: Awkwardly large (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: Black, shaven on most of skull, two thin braids lied off with ribbons.

Eye Color: Black

Height: 2.25 m

Weight: 180.00 kg

Description:

Shreds is a grotesquely-muscled and huge Al Amarjan man in his late twenties. He customarily wears muscle shirts under his leather vest, and has his leather pants and boots custom-made. Most of his visible flesh is covered in disgusting green tattoos.

When in combat, Shreds tends to froth at the mouth and his muscles stand out even more.

BACKGROUND

Shreds was once a weaselly little guy who sidekicked for his buddy, Avan Bloodboy. They both belonged to a small Satanist gang. Shreds knew his buddy had big plans, and he was willing to do what he could

to help. One day, a nervous looking man came through their neighborhood carrying a package. The gang jumped him, and pretty soon they owned the package by right of survival. "Let's see what we got,"

said Avan, so Shreds tore a hole in one end and stuck his hand in.

As you know from other sources, the box contained mutant seklut centipedes, which were agitated by the rough handling they'd had during the fight, and immediately bit the first thing they came into

contact with, Shreds' hand. He started screaming. Avan pulled him away and got the box sealed, they watched in fascination as Shreds' arm started to swell. It was becoming more muscular even as he watched.

Back at the Satanists' hideout, Shreds continued to swell, even as he ate everything in the fridge, and everything the others brought him, and he kept getting bigger and bigger. After about a week, he finally

reached his full size, and the gang went out to kick some tail. It was during this fight that Shreds' "little problem" was discovered. But what the hey, the other gang no longer existed, right? Avan had fiddled around with the sekluts some more, and figured out what they did. He started calling himself "Bloodlord" and the nameless gang was now "Lucifer's Glorious Lords of Passion." Shreds is the only member besides Avan who's still alive from the old days.

Shreds is one of the most respected members of the Glorious Lords, as anyone who can ram your head out your anus would be respected. Indeed, he's the only member the Aries gang respects, as they have a

soft spot for berserkers. Due to his frenzy, he's generally only taken out when the enemy is known and likely to be away from distracting targets, or it doesn't matter how many people die.

PERSONALITY

Outside of combat, Shreds is a fairly typical low-life thug. He's well aware of the fear his size and reputation causes, and isn't the least bit bashful about taking advantage of it. He still respects Avan and will obey his orders, or what he believes Avan would want if not present. He finds needlepoint calming and enjoys displaying his handiwork.

In combat, Shreds is a howling, frothing maniac who attacks without mercy or reason.

When not berserk, Shreds is actually of average intelligence and fully capable of lucid conversation. However, he's found that using short words and bad grammar works better with his rep. "Give Shreds woman now!" has a ring that "Pardon me, but I desire to have sexual congress with the woman you are presently with so would appreciate it if you would give her to me." doesn't.

POWERS/TACTICS

Shreds is a very large, very muscular man who is an experienced brawler. When in a battle frenzy, he becomes even stronger, faster, and harder to put down. He usually wears thick leather boots, jacket and trousers to protect himself, while his favorite weapon combination is a falchion and a short leather strap studded with nails.

Shreds is not into tactics as such. Once in combat, he becomes a berserk killing machine, attacking anything that moves (and I do mean anything) until it stops moving, then moving on to another target to smash. Sometimes this means he will waste time smashing neon signs or blowing debris instead of opponents. The only reason he hasn't killed more Glorious Lords is that they're all aware of this problem and know to stay out of range while he's like that.

CAMPAIGN USE

Shreds is the Glorious Lords' "big gun," the guy they call on when ordinary methods fail. He should be a serious menace to the player characters; to make him stronger, increase the characteristic gains Shreds gets when Berserk, and give him more Combat Levels. To weaken him, don't give him any characteristic gains--he just goes Berserk.

Ideally, the appearance of Shreds should be a big deal. Have him only mentioned at first, then a devastated combat scene with horrified witnesses, an ominous and huge shadow.... When he finally shows up in person, the ground shakes and appropriate theme music plays. The Glorious Lords chant "Shreds! Shreds! Shreds!" Play it up big.

Shreds should work well in other Dark Champions settings--his power origin is easily switched to "experimental steroids" or "growth hormone." Every criminal gang needs a "Big Bruiser' for special occasions.

This character write-up was inspired by the On the Edge card #219,

copyright 1995 Trident Games.

• 2 weeks later...