Defenders of Ireland

Corven_Ren

Re: Defenders of Ireland

So what's the source of her powers? Just to get a handle...

The source will be magic. I do not use mythlogical gods in my supers campagins due to my personal beliefs. Magic and a few alternate dimesnsion exist as do aliens. But I will take some of you advice on costume design.

The source will be magic. I do not use mythlogical gods in my supers campagins due to my personal beliefs. Magic and a few alternate dimesnsion exist as do aliens. But I will take some of you advice on costume design.

No worries, and no probems. The main group of Irish "gods", The Tuatha De Dannan, work just as well as a mythic age civilizations like the Atlanteans or Lemurians. The ones that predated the De Dannans are pretty typical stone age "Concept" deities, essentially personifications of natural forces.

I'd still tie her powers in some way to the land, as its a VERY Celtic idea. Doesn't have to have any association with a specific actual "God", per se.... the "Land as Goddess" metaphor is easily explained in Jungian terms, poetic ones.... whatever. It's just such a strong part of the Irish consciousness that I'd expect to see a mystical personification of the powers of her land to have powers tied to similar ideas. Her ability to defend others is an excellent example of this sort of thing.... I'd probably add a whole Island wide Intuitive & Vague Danger Sense. Actually...thinking about it, while I do know that the triple goddess isn't an apropriate entity for your world, the basic concepts are very strong in the Gaelic psyche, and could easily come out as jungian archtype powerslike such...

Youth=Passion, Inspiration= Super Charisma power of some sort

Mature=Nurturing, loving and resolute= Already in place Defense power

Aged=Wisdom, Knowledge, Prophecy= Aforementioned Danger Sense would fit nicely here

*Chuckle*....I guess what I'm saying is just because YOU know the gods don't exist (at least as far as your campaign is concerned) doesn't mean that a few thousand years of Irish culture knows it ;)

Oh.....Had another couple of team mate suggestions for you...

Ildanach("Many Talented")

A epithet given to Lugh when he applied for a position in the De Dana court, in mythic terms.

Would be good as a Batman/Deathstroke/Pro from Dover/Weaponmaster type, perhaps with a SuperSkill VPP

Mad Sweeney (Suibhne Geilt in Gaelic)- A 7th Century Irish King cursed to wander the land moonstruck and speaking in verse. American Gods does him proud as a sort of Leprachaun-blooded Scrapper type. Would make an entertaining Irish Wolverine/Lobo homage sort

Edit: Sort of like a superpowered version of Mickey from Snatch

"So that's what kinda fight its gona be, eh?"

I'd like to second the idea of drawing on myths and history without necessarily accepting mythological gods as part of the cosmology of your campaign.

The super-heroine Saint Joan may believe she's drawing on the power of G_d, she may think He gives her superhuman strength, skill, and tactical ability, but whether He really does or doesn't never has to be an issue in the campaign, unless you as the GM think it would make for a good plot point.

In the real world, Joseph Greenstein used to believe his kosher diet, prayer and meditation gave him the strength to bend steel, snap chains, and drive railroad ties through heavy wood frames using his fists. Personally, I think he was just freakishly strong, with a body honed by a lifetime of good nutrition, hard labor, and superb training. I could be right or wrong, but that's no reason that the Joe Greenstein homage character shouldn't think his strength comes from G_d.

Another suggestion for a character name would be Galloglass. In ancient Ireland a galloglass was the armed retainer of a chieftain. Good for a weaponmaster or powered armor hero.

There was also another of the warrior class called a Kern. They weren't as high class as the Galloglaich. You could also have a water based character as Manannan MacLir was a water entity and there was the ancient foe Fomor, a race of giants with Balor being their king.

I am impressed with your knowledge of Irish history and lore, Amadan...:thumbup:

There was also another of the warrior class called a Kern. They weren't as high class as the Galloglaich. You could also have a water based character as Manannan MacLir was a water entity and there was the ancient foe Fomor, a race of giants with Balor being their king.

I am impressed with your knowledge of Irish history and lore, Amadan...:thumbup:

Ceithern or Ceithernach would be the gaelic for Kern, BTW.

Nasty Light Infantry and Skirmishers. Mostly fought with "darts" (javelins), Slings, bows, guns (later) and 1 handed swords. Wood-kern were directly responsible for the deaths of no less that 3 commanders of the Garrison at Barwick, billeted to fort guard duty during the Irish Wars. The Kern snipers were GOOD... AFAIK, 2 of those 3 were taken out with long range head shots (One while inspecting the troops on the walls, the other while lifting his visor and standing up in his saddle to get a better look at the enemy)

Thanks.

I've spent a LOT of years studying this stuff. Kind of a personal obsession.

I do living history and one of my impressions is a Gaelic warrior fighting at the Battle of Clontarf...

I spent around 10 years (out of 13 as a Guldmaster...the first 3 were straight Highlander redshanks) portraying a Galoglaigh Ceann Sluaigh (Head of the Host, roughly Commander) while running a reenactment guild of around 60 members and doing fight and battle choreography. As the boss I felt compelled to have my information both accurate and documented, if possible.

Thankfully I'm good at research, and had several members who could put me to shame on that front.