[Campaign] The Nebraskans

Gadodel

Re: [Campaign] The Nebraskans

Part 35:

After weeks of training and evaluations, a decision was made. Two Teams: one the 'Field Team', the other-the 'Support Team'.

Command: I think 6 should be on the Field Team.

Lincoln: Three from each? Or were you thinking something else?

Peter: A rotation would keep my friends and I quite happy.

Command's phone buzzed and he answered it-'Send'em in'.

Command: Gentlemen, this is 'DC'; the Federal liason that all states use to the President.

Lincoln and Peter stood up and shook 'DC's' hand.

DC: We received the briefing yesterday. The President, his staff and the command of every state are quite eager to learn what will happen next. They are most interested in what can be done about the missing people.

Command: We still don't have a total yet, do we?

Lincoln: We might never. Some folks, sadly; may not be missed therefore may not even be reported as missing.

Peter: The Feds won't interfere with us will they? Speaking to DC.

Command: I should have mentioned that 'Peter' is one of the civilians that has been fully involved in this situation.

DC: (smiling) Ah! The President has advised me to promise that the Federal Government will only act to enhance your own abilities and resources...we will not participate in any of the decisions or direct any particular agenda unless more than one state becomes involved.

Peter: (laughing) You got that in writing?

'DC' pulled out a pile of envelopes....

DC: Hand these out to all of those from Nebraska involved.

Command, Lincoln and Peter sat there stunned.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The campfire was large. It divided the campers. It wasn't meant to. On the east side was Lincoln and his team. On the west side was Peter and his friends. Quiet discussion. Roasted marshmellows. Cold beer. No one knew what Command's final decision was, just yet. When Command walked up, he had everyone's complete attention. Everyone said 'hello'. He was handed a roasted marshmellow. Someone handed him a cold beer. Everyone burst out laughing.

Command: Everyone of you is qualified to serve this state. Everyone of you is qualified to be out in the field of challenge. Everyone of you is qualified to be on the quest. Yet, some of you must remain behind-to continue serving the mundane-if I may use that word; 'mundane' needs of the state. As you know, there will be two teams. I've decided that 'Lincoln' will lead the 'Support Team' and 'Peter' shall lead the 'Field Team'. I've also decided that 'Peter' should be given the power to handpick his team. Though, I recommend that he consult with both Lincoln and I before he makes his final decision.

Lincoln: Agreed. I am your disposal. He spoke towards both Command and Peter. When Lincoln spoke, everyone listened.

Peter: Whoa! I had better take some time to pick wisely. If any objects, please speak up now...

Several tense moments followed, but everyone stood up and congratulated 'Peter' for being picked....

Yet, another intermission; of sorts.....

After a session, several players announced that their ability to participate in the coming weeks was going to be limited. 'Other Obligations'! The greatest threat to any gaming group, that everyone knows about; had reared its ugly head. I knew about it beforehand, so I planned accordingly. I promised to make every session more conclusive so that anyone could rejoin at any time and not be completely lost.

'Other Obligations' such as children/family, other things like birthdays or weddings, or even work were mentioned. Of course, these things can be more important than gaming and they always seem to come up at different times for different people. Of course, absent players are missed and are easily welcomed back-but there is so much missing when they are gone.

However, that being said; I am usually quite slow in revealing the core of the plot as it makes it easier to prepare for the eventualality of 'real life' crashing the adventuring party. My gaming groups rarely have the same players all the time. I call it the 'Nomad Effect': people roam in and out of my groups with spectacular ease. To be honest, I'd go into shock if any of groups had the exact same players for more than 12 sessions...

Part 36:

Peter left a voicemail to the other five members of the 'Field Team'. He instructed them to meet him at the cabin on Rattlesnake Drive, just south of Lake McConaughy. He instructed them to arrive the next evening. He figured they could find their way there...

The next evening...

Peter: Thank you for coming. Things are about to get more interesting and far more serious. I hope you brought all of your gear and are ready for the next chapter. First, let me introduce you to some new friends; they'll be our advisors and guides in the coming chapter.

All three were only fourteen inches in height, but had a presence that wasn't confined to their size. They had the shape of men, but were clearly not human. The first looked like the sun-lit sky of any given afternoon. The second looked like the star-lit sky of any given night. The third looked like a quick traverse acrossed the varied landscape of Nebraska.

Peter: Their actual names are too difficult to pronounce or remember. They've indulged my proclivity to use nick-names instead. I'm naming the first 'July', the second 'August' and the third 'September'. And collectively, the 'Prairie Fairies'.

The Prairie Fairies and the Field Team exchanged greetings.

Peter: They have instructed me that we can travel to where our fellow Nebraskans are being held if we give an offering of ourselves to Lake McConaughy. An offering that shows unselfishness. An offerning of blood. Upon doing this, we can make a path between here and there and use it as often as we would like. Who will follow me?

Peter walked to the edge of the lake, then waded in. Peter grasped the blade of his sword, whinced ever-so slightly, looked back...and disappeared. The others looked apprehensive, if not skeptical-of course; but waded into the lake as well. Each imitated what they had seen and they too disappeared.

The six broke the surface of a small pond. They were immediately confronted by a group of warriors clad in armor and weilding weapons of an archaic era. One of the warriors was yelling something and pointing a spear at the group. No one spoke his langauge, but his message was clear: DON'T MOVE!!! Being the leader, Peter tried to speak to the warrior...

Peter: Hello. We come in peace. My name is Peter. (pointing at the others.) Anthony. Galen. Max. Quinn. Simon. And that is July. August. September.

Another warrior, a woman-a very attractive woman, but a warrior nonetheless pushed the yelling warrior and another warrior aside and stepped to the front...

The Warrior: You're from Earth?

Peter: Yes. Hold it. We're no longer on Earth?

The Warrior: Not exactly. It's like Earth, but not Earth.

Peter: You are, humans; right?

The Warrior: Yes. We're from all sorts of eras, forced to live at the whim of our captors.

Peter: Hold it. So, it's not the 21st Century here?

The Warrior: No...nothing like it, I suppose. Come out of the water and we'll try to explain.

CHAPTER II:

'We tracked the strange lights to a farmhouse near Rose, Nebraska. We encircled the location, set up a plan and moved in. We've done hundreds of infiltrations and investigations. Sure, it wasn't 'routine'-but our SOPs have always stood up to any test. Not only did we walk right into an ambush, but also one of the strangest psychological attacks any of us have ever experienced. I heard the 'boom', then saw the flash of light. I staggered and fell to the ground.'

(sighs, catches his breath.)

I embarked upon the craziest, strangest dream that I have ever had in my life: read my report!

(regains his composure.)

I got a shot off. I know I hit a man...I think it was a man'.

'That's all you want to say about it?'

'What more can I say? Most of what happened was that hallucination or whatever you may want to call it.'

(defiance!)

'You did hit an opponent. We've found the blood. We think it's blood.'

'What's that supposed to mean?

'It wasn't a man. It wasn't anything...anyone...of this Earth.'

'And they got away?'

'Yes...for now. We've got some leads and we're planning on going after each and every one of them.'

'And the civilians that stumbled onto the operation?'

'They'll be included, they're old friends of ours!'

Three days later, three old friends met in the Bohemian Cafe in Omaha, Nebraska. After some time of greetings and reminiscing, they got down to business...

Peter: Your calls came about the same time and sounded quite urgent.

Joseph: A one hundred million dollar deal-that's what you stopped at Rose, Nebraska.

Tetsuya: It's entertainment that has drawn away many. Many have gone rogue, not just from our ranks; but also from many other families.

Joseph: Chinese, Colombians, Japanese, Italians, Lebanese, Pakistanis, Russians, Sicilians...even the Jews, crews of all makes are loosing people. They're selling out and selling the entertainment by the megabytes.

Tetsuya: It was only a matter of time before drugs disguised as chips would be used. Any business that sells computers can be a front.

Peter: Do you have any leads as to who is behind the new drug?

Both Joseph and Tetsuya shook their head 'no'.

Peter: Then, I've a story for you that is out of this world....

Both Joseph and Tetsuya listened with first awe, then skepticism. Though, they knew their old friend would never lie.

Joseph: The weapon he used...it would explain a rash of thefts where my boys were unharmed, but missing a lot of their goods.

Tetsuya: It would explain why our operatives have been unsuccessful in several key missions.

Peter: Have you heard similar stories to my own? As bizarre and vivid?

Both Joseph and Tetsuya shook their head 'yes'. Both added that they thought their people were simply indulging in the product and it had simply gotten out of hand.

Peter: Narcotics and Aliens. 'Alien Dust'-as we're calling it now and 'Alien Halluciguns'-as we're calling it now. An imposed 'Virtual Reality'. An unexpected and dangerous situation. Perhaps, an Alien Race is prepping Earth for something far more sinister.

Joseph: Perhaps starting with the underworld?

Tetsuya: Perhaps anyone with a computer is a target?

Perhaps...

It was a rude interruption.

Three entered the Cafe from the front door, three from the back. They barged their way through the Cafe towards Peter, Joseph and Tetsuya.

Tetsuya rolled over a neighboring table and landed a kick to the stomach of one, landed on his feet and struck a second with a closed fist.

Peter overturned another neighboring table into the path of the three coming from the front of the Cafe. The first to hurdle it was struck with a chair and knocked back into the two behind him.

Joseph finished his beer. The Czech beer made there was something he highly prized.

Tetsuya blocked a kick and landed one of his own. He followed it with an uppercut, dropping that particular attacker.

Peter lept over the overturned table and shattered what remained of the chair over the head of the same individual that he had just struck.

Tetsuya's bodyguards entered and swarmed the place.

Tetsuya: We should take this outside. Their answers might not please me.

Peter: I agree. I'll pay for the damages and join you in a moment.

Joseph: That was excellent beer. Nice fight, too!

The three and Tetsuya's five bodyguards led the six assailants outside. They entered the parking lot and realized that they had just walked into a ambush...

Peter: These six and those 20 against our eight, seven if Joseph decides to get distracted again.

It was a tense standoff, but only for a few moments.

An unusual looking man entered the lot. Maybe it was a man. His skin had the hues of the ocean. His hair was reminiscent of seaweed. It looked like he was wearing scuba diving clothes. He carried some sort of staff. It too was many different colors. He looked out of place. An understatement, to be sure.

Everyone stopped what they were doing to stare. It was obvious he wasn't 'with' either side, at first. Then, the man smacked the end of the staff on the ground. It emitted a wave of energy that produced a stunning effect on everyone. He walked over and tapped Peter, Joseph, Tetsuya and Tetsuya's bodyguards-freeing them from the effect. Meanwhile, all of their opponents were slowly slinking to the ground.

Tetsuya: Strange things appear to follow you, my friend. A strange fate, indeed.

Joseph: (doing the sign of the cross.) I'm a doubter no more, my friend.

Peter: (talking to the unusual man.) Obviously, you're here to talk. I'm Peter. This is Tetsuya-his men and Joseph.

Unusual Man: I am Sojero. (SO-JAY-ROW) You slew my rival at Rose, Nebraska. Thank you. I thought I would start repaying you by preventing these men from harming you.

Peter: Come with us and tell us all about it...

Sojero briefed the Nebraskans. As mysteriously as he appeared, he departed. His briefing, was-well brief. As was the discussion about it. The Nebraskans knew that they had stumbled upon something very, very big...

Lincoln: We're caught in the middle of a war with potentially innumerable factions and sides.

Hastings: There's us-the Humans, we're pretty chaotic. There's the Marites, the ocean based folks that have evolved right along with humanity-but have tried to keep to themselves since their last contact was a failure-Atlantis. Then, there's the Astroman-like E.T., but no where near as cute. And of course a whole bunch of mercs and underworld types. That's four...

Lincoln: I think you know what I meant.

Niobrara: If Sojero is right, we know that the Astroman have a base somewhere in Nebraska.

Keya Paha: and they have enough 'Alien Dust' for every man, woman an child to take a trip. Nebraska could be shut down...for 8 hours.

That prospect put a quiet over the room.

Peter: We've three options. First, find and destroy the base. Second, start working through the underworld to find more leads. Third, take the fight to Astronomy.

Hastings: You want to start beating up nerds? Cool! I say we smack around the Trekkies first!

The room filled with laughter. You know the kind, one long overdue and much needed.

Command: We shall split up into three teams. Base Hunters. Drug Hunters. Invaders.

Hastings: Our very own 'away team'!!!

Command: Decide which one you want to be on and why. Send me your written responses so that I can make a final judgment. Meanwhile, I am going to go brief the Feds....

At this point, the final roster of players was completed. I had three people interested in this campaign. And I had two others that were more interested in seeing me restart my old sword and sorcery campaign called 'Empire'.

'Empire' was for D&D and had been in use for years using that system. I mentioned one night that I was converting it to HERO and two of my players told me they 'loved me'. :D I might post the notes from those sessions over in the Fantasy Forum...

• 2 weeks later...

Lincoln: I chose the three of you to go undercover against the underworld. Frankly, you've got experience in these matters-plus you already know who's who in the community. Gunplay won't be a worry either. I don't want a bunch of rookies or folks that might be better suited elsewhere. I hope you have your personal affairs in order. Wills, etc.

Springview: I'm more than ready. I've been watching a lot of crime dramas to get me motivated.

Niobrara: I've been doing a lot of target practice. I don't plan on getting doped up again.

Keya Paha: What are we using to get by the locals wherever we go?

Lincoln: The card, as usual. Try not to flash it too often, we don't want to stir up curiosity or gossip.

Springview: Gossip? In a small town? That never happens!

Niobrara: We'll just tell'em were playing a game and it's not football.

Keya Paha: Now, we're sure that the Feds won't be playing in our sandbox every time we turn around right?

Lincoln: We're sure. Course, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Springview: So, we've got the Mexican Mafia and the Yakuza to stay out of Nebraska. What about the Pakistanis and Russians?

Lincoln: The Feds have yet to secure an agreement. Until then, clear all obstacles like usual.

Niobrara: The Russians won't like it for long, they'll return to the table.

Keya Paha: The Pakistanis prefer California anyways.

Lincoln: Doesn't matter who: clear all obstacles like usual and we'll let the Feds sort out the mess.

Springview: We know the consequences of failure. Narco-Nations like Afghanistan or Colombia are worse than tragic.

Niobrara: Think of the number of times other nations have tried to do something about them and failed. Worse, think about the nations that have deliberately fueled the fires there.

Keya Paha: Alien Dust is simply another drug that we're up against. Cocaine and Opium have a competitor, one backed by something not of this world. The Druglords have been clever about putting one side against another. The suppliers of Alien Dust won't have to work too hard to continue the trend.

Lincoln: Let's use Afghanistan as the model. The Druglords managed to put the US against the former USSR. Then, they managed to put the Jihadists against the US. Now, the Afghani Druglords are relatively free to do their business. Who would the Druglords put up against us besides other drug kingpins?

Springview: It's simple: users of Alien Dust that do not know whom they are really supporting by buying and using the drug. People like modern day slavers, people simply out to make a dollar. Though, a whole new breed of criminal altogether....

• 1 month later...

Urban Warfare. Not an easy task. Too much terrain. Too many buildings, too many doors, too many windows. Too many bystanders....

A curtain flapping in the breeze might makes you look one way, while shots start coming from another. Echoes and shadows throw off your senses. Booby traps, dead-ends and old maps can make getting from one place to another a nightmare. One can't tell friend from foe when one factors in bystanders.

Thank God that there are few truly urban environments in Nebraska...but sure enough, he decided to put us right in the middle of one. It was just the three of us and we were outnumbered. Maybe we were not even in the same league as those raining bullets down on us. The SUV we were using as a shield was slowing being shredded away. We needed either an escape route or a miracle. Redundant, perhaps.

We didn't think that we were going to get that computer that day. However, we decided to call in reinforcements and close down a part of Omaha. Holed up bank robbers. That story would work for a few days. Though, none of us wanted the siege to go on that long....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No one was expecting the building to implode. Why would they blow themselves up? They were holding us off...easily. Seeing the debris, we started to figure out their motive. They wanted us to not find what we were looking for. It took weeks to dig through the rubble. We didn't find the computer, but we did find something very interesting below the vault.

Once we opened the reinforced steel door, we were able to get a glimpse down a long shaft. We climbed at least 100 feet. We found a corridor large enough to drive a vehicle through. And by the looks of it, a vehicle had been driven through; recently. We inquired with the Feds, but even they were unable to tell who had built the complex, when or why. It was up to us to do the dungeon crawl and find out.

After setting up a base camp in the vault above...we started going from room to room...

• 3 months later...

Part 1:

Lincoln: Are you serious? The roster has to be changed again? Now?

Command: Yeah. I don't like it either, but that's how it works sometimes.

Lincoln: Well, who's coming to the site?

Command: You'll find out when they get there....

It's funny, though really not; how people come and go and come back again. It's hard to plan, but I guess everyone enjoys surprises from time to time. Well, as long as they have enough bullets. Somehow, the idea of going into a underground structure that no one knows anything about makes me think it will be all about surprises and bullets....

Part 2:

Lincoln: Hastings? You're in on this one after all?

Hastings: Yeah, Command doesn't want to lose anyone so having an MD tag along isn't such a bad idea. Hey! I am this adventuring group's cleric!!!

thump. Niobrara drops his bag full of gear nearby and walks over.

Niobrara: I'm staying boss.

Hastings: Well, at least we have a fighter in the group!

Lincoln finally catches on and chuckles.

Keya Paha: As am I.

Hastings: As long as you don't try to be some sort of Drizzt wannabe, sure you can stay.

Springview: I'm starting to think that you're the Bard! Springview looked over at Hastings.

Niobrara: Besides Hastings, who else is rejoining us?

'We are!'

Platte: I guess I'm here to help map out the place.

Chadron: And I guess I am here to plant C-4 if things go from bad to worse and Command decides to just destroy the structure.

Lincoln: Yeah, I meant to tell you all that if we run into anything that the world can't handle or shouldn't see...BOOM!

The laughing and smiles stopped...

Part 3:

The Team spent the next day lowering gear down into the 'dungeon'. Lots of gear. Explosives, weapons and bullets. Lots of bullets. Plus, food and drink, medical supplies, computer and communication gear...etcetera, etcetera. And lots of bullets.

Everyone hoped that the answers about the place would be forthcoming faster than the order to destroy it. The Team had 24 hours to learn whether a threat existed or not. Not a lot of time and no one knew why a time table was suddenly ordered.

Guesses. Perhaps, the discovery was a piece in a larger puzzle. Perhaps, it was an attempt to control or stop the information flow. Perhaps, Command hoped to have an element of surprise. Perhaps, it was all of these things.

The Team began the adventure bright and early the next day...

Part 4:

You know the problem with moving in complete darkness? It's not whether one can see anything or not-goggles take of that, but rather whether or not one can move quietly. A group of people, each carrying a lot of gear; is even less likely to move quietly.

Lincoln: OK, I think stealth is no longer an option.

Platte: I agree. The pitter patter of my typing can't be helped let alone the pitter patter of our feet.

Hastings: A rogue! I knew we were forgetting something!!!

Niobrara: Yeah, I think if there is anyone down here; they've got the same problem.

Hastings: Not having a rogue?

Everyone tried to laugh quietly.

Niobrara: No! Having difficulty not giving their location or presence away.

Chadron: I'd feel a lot better if we spread out more. Lumped together makes us easy fodder.

Keya Paha: I'll fall back a bit further...

Niobrara: I'll move a little further ahead.

The facility was cold, drab and somewhat haunting. Someone put a lot of effort into making this place. It had to buzz with activity at one time, but now was akin to a ghost town. There was no sign of life other than the vehicle tracks in the corridor that seemed to stretch either direction indefinitely. The tread indicated that the vehicle headed south, so the Team proceeded in that direction. Niobrara took a lead of 50 yards.....

Part 5:

Niobrara led the way for another half hour before coming to a complete stop. He waved the rest of the Team over to his location. It appeared that Niobrara had stopped at the beginning of a descent.

Niobrara: You've gotta check this out! Niobrara exclaimed with a bit of surprise in his voice.

Hastings: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!? Hastings exclaimed as he joined Niobrara and saw what he was seeing.

Lincoln: Platte, get as many pictures you can. Dear lord!

Platte: On it. Damn. How the hell did this get here?

Chadron and Keya Paha finally joined the Team.

Keya Paha: What the Frak!?!?

Springview: This...this is bigger than us...we're going to need more people!

The Team was overlooking a set a of stairs that led to an enormous cave. A cave large enough to hold an arena the size of any NFL Stadium. And that was precisely what the Team had found: an arena. Akin to Rome's. Similar in size and style.

Lincoln: Let's shed some more light on the subject and work our way down to the field. Stay alert. Load up a tracer clip. Watch for any movement.

The Team made its way down over 100 rows of seating...

Part 6:

The Team made its way to the arena field. Broken weapons from all eras, dried blood, remains in various stages of decomposition and a strange silence coated the field.

Lincoln: Hastings, check the bodies; see if you can determine when the field was last used. Niobrara stick with him, Chadron you stick with Platte. Keya Paha and Springview, perimeter.

Hastings: I'll see if my speak with dead spell works boss.

Niobrara: Linc, there's a body here that has bullet holes in it and a viking styled axe lodged in its head!

Platte: I'm filming this whole thing. Damn! I think that katana is the real the deal!

Hastings: Is its former user wearing a black leather trench-coat?

Platte: No..., but! Platte almost missed the joke. The Team tried to restrain their laughter.

Keya Paha: JESUS!!! I've got a live one....Hastings!

The Team made its way towards Keya Paha. The individual's appearance startled the Team. It was a young girl, maybe 13. She was covered in blood and dirt and had a couple of wounds of her own. She was still grasping a classic English longsword by its hilt.....

The Girl: Like, can; any of you dudes help me?

Part 7:

Lincoln: Get a stretcher assembled, get her on it and let's get out of here.

Hastings: I can't believe it. I'll know more once we get her on the table, but it appears that she's been stabbed all the way through. Her heart, lungs and spine somehow avoided damage.

Niobrara: I've heard of bullets doing that, but swords?

Keya Paha and Springview gently placed the girl on a stretcher and began carrying her as ordered.

Lincoln: What is your name? He asked the girl.

The Girl: Get me to Father Murphy's house and I'll tell you everything....

The Team looked at one another with stunned looks on their faces. Their bizarre travels seemed to be headed towards a full circle. Father Murphy didn't mention anything about what they might find and he certainly did not mention anything about a 13 year old swordsman...