Confused again.

Yamo

Posted this question yesterday and got an answer today:

Q: When it comes to determining if a Knocked Back character strikes an object in his flight path, the rules say:

"If the structure or object is big enough, he'll hit it automatically. If it's small or narrow (for example, a tree), the character who did the Knockback damage should make make [tee hee] an Attack Roll using his base CV (calculated only from DEX, with no CSLs or other modifiers added) to see if he Knocked the target Back into the object."

What's the DCV value used for this Attack Roll? The character who's been Knocked Back's? That doesn't seem to make sense, since he's flying back uncontrollably and his dodging ability should be nil. The object's? If so, how do you calculate a DEX-less object's DCV?

A: It’s based on the size of the object.

I'm still lost. Based on the size of the object how? I looked in the FREd index under "object", "DCV", "size" and a multitude of other things and I found no reference at all to calculating the DCV of an object from its size (or by any other means).

Does anybody know how to find what I'm looking for?

It says under the Target Size heading on pg 252 that if an object that is x2 larger than a human, the attacker gets a +2 to his OCV, x4 gets a +4 OCV, etc. In addition, anything 1/2 human size gets a -2, 1/4 gets a -4, you get the idea. The only object that I know the DCV of is a Hex. Its DCV is 3.

I realize this doesn't exactly answer your question. Hopefully it will give you a push in the right direction, though. I'd snoop around Fred some more, but I'm late for work. Good luck.

Guest Keneton

Kenetons Answer

Well my answer not only disputes Steve's ruling (sorry big guy) but also solves your quandry.

1. Knockback has no CV. Once knocked back you travlel through the air at OCV zero.

2. The only exception to this is if you are hooked into something at which your CV is the attckers base minus four for you being unbalnaced and non areodynamic (see thrown things)

3. If you run into something that fills that hex you hit it as described by Fred.

4. If you pass through a Hex with characters in it you roll to hit them with your CV as discussed above (0 or base -4)

5. If you pass through a hex containing an inamnimate object detremine how much it fills the hex.

100%= automaitcally hits it see above.

75-99= 14- to hit into it.

26-74% filled 11- to hit into it.

less than 25% full=8- to hit into it.

This is simple and percise and has been playtested for many years.:D