Hovering

Pteryx

Funny that one of the weakest powers my pet character has is the one I'm having trouble building...

Basically, one of this character's fringe powers is the ability, as a Zero-Phase Action while in mid-air, to suddenly stop his motion through the air entirely for exactly two seconds. He can reorient himself, take action, etc. while hovering, but can't move from the point he activated the system in question at until the power wears off or he turns it off. Additionally, he can only do this about every thirty seconds (three turns, whatever, close enough) at the most. (There's other minor details, but I think I can handle the rest...)

I presume this'd be some small amount of Flight with severe limitations, but seeing as I'm a newbie it's not clear just what kinds of advantages and limitations this would entail. I'm pretty sure it would count as a small power and not just SFX, as it does enable a few small things (the ability to lessen the damage from a fall would likely be the most notable from a rules standpoint). -- Pteryx

"Stop on a dime" implies a lot of acceleration/deceleration. For a +1 advantage, you can accelerate/decelerate yur full noncombat move per hex moved, so to stop a fall (30" terminal velocity), you'd need 15" flight, +1 advantage, so 60 points (or 30" flight +1/4 advantage; 75 points)

Of course, you've got some pretty steep limitations as well (the time before it can be used, only to hover for exactly 2 seconds, etc.) so the actual cost should be fairly low. I'd give a -2 limit for the Hover/Stop Movement Only alone.

15" flight, +1 advantage, so 60 points (or 30" flight +1/4 advantage; 75 points)

Nope. Cheapest way = 2" Flight, 32" NCM with three noncombat doublings. 17 points. 34 with the necessary +1 Advantage. With a -2 "Only to Stop And Hover For No More Than Two Seconds No More Than Once Every Thirty Seconds" Limitation, you could do it for 11.

Originally posted by Yamo

Nope. Cheapest way = 2" Flight, 32" NCM with three noncombat doublings. 17 points.

And given that all in all it's a small-time power, building it on the cheap is fine by me. ;) Leaves more room for his primary abilities. Thank you both! :) -- Pteryx