Darkness/Flash/Sense group issues - Book vs Designer

The Monster

Our group came up with a couple of questions about Invisibility and Darkness last night, and I was checking things out in Hero Designer and the rulebook to see what it would cost to modify our powers according to need and concept. I came up with what seems a discrepancy:

In the rulebook (I have 5th, not 5thRev), the Sight Group under Enhanced Sense Powers does *not* include Infrared Perception. Near As I can tell, this means that to buy powers which affect IR vision as well as normal vision, you need to buy that specific sense in addition to "Sight Group." Odd, but a trivial rules quirk.

However, when building in Hero Designer, if you take Darkness or Invisibility or Flash against Sight Group, IR disappears from the list of available affected senses! Does this mean that, in fact, IR *is* included in Sight Group for the purposes of sense-affecting powers?

Re: Darkness/Flash/Sense group issues - Book vs Designer

Infrared Perception, like various other enhanced senses, does not precluce a specific Sense Group. True, it is usually placed in the Sight Group to have "Thermal Vision". But There are times when it can be placed in another group -- like the Touch Group (and add Ranged as well). This is how snakes that can detect (not see) heat are built. They clearly aren't seeing it, yet they are perceiving it -- with heat sensitive spots on their skin (IIRC).

Does IP disappear, or just move to a lower location? I have seen behaviour like that before in HD v2. Check all the available options and makre sure it didn't "re-sort" itself into the middle of the stack of options.

Re: Darkness/Flash/Sense group issues - Book vs Designer

It completely disappears - you can't select it at all.

So, the Sight Group is defined by the SFX rather than the specific list of senses? That makes more sense (no pun intended, but I'll take it!), and will be welcome news to at least three players (including me).