Star System Generation (Now at the RIGHT place :/)

TSandman

Re: Star System Generation (Now at the RIGHT place :/)

Hehehe ;)

Well, Doc.. the Star Hero system does differentiate between Rock, Rock-Iron, Rock-Ice and some other planet type...

AFAIK, it's the *Best* sector/system/planet generation system that I've found in any RPG... Pretty complete, that's why I'm using it as a base... Since I'm no Astronomer or Astrophysicist, I needed a base that was grounded in what we know (well, what we knew circa 2002 ;)

Well, I haven't read all of Hero books yet (in fact, I haven't even finish the core rule book yet :cry:). is AFAIK a part of the hero system and, if so, is it found in the Star hero rulebook?

Latest Update... Sample Output (PDF)

s AFAIK a part of the hero system and' date=' if so, is it found in the Star hero rulebook?[/quote']

erm...

AFAIK... As Far As I Know... :)

BTW' I've attached a PDF of a small planet I've generated (it happens to have 2 moons, one asteroidal and a planetary one)

I've corrected some atmospheric components: When there is life present, the percentage of Ammonia is transfered into water vapor. I've also cleaned up the output quite a bit (well, for my taste anyway)

Edit: I've found a stooopid error in the Rotation Period (in days) for the Planet... inverted the division.. DOH! There might be some Typos too ;)

I'm no expert' date=' but wouldn't perihelion & aphelion be more accurate terms for bodies orbiting a star?[/quote']

Yes, but then you are stuck with using perigee and apogee for bodies orbiting the Earth, periselene/pericynthion/perilune and aposelene/apocynthion/apolune for bodies orbiting Luna, perihermion and apohermion for bodies orbiting Mercury, pericytherion/pericytherean/perikrition and apocytherion/apocytherean/apokrition for bodies orbiting Venus, periareion and apoareion for bodies orbiting Mars, perizene/perijove and apozene/apojove for bodies orbiting Jupiter, perikrone/perisaturnium and apokrone/aposaturnium for bodies orbiting Saturn...

It is much easier to use the general terms periapsis and apoapsis.

And in any event, perihelion and aphelion only applies to bodies orbiting the Sun. Periastron and apastron are the proper terms for a body orbiting a star.

Okay, I can see your point. :) Though since we're not using perisol and aphsol, I would presume that perhelion/aphelion could apply to bodies orbiting any star, not just ours?

I knew that the Helion referred to star in those words, though I didn't make the connection to Earth for perigee and apogee until you pointed out all the alternatives.

Okay' date=' I can see your point. :) Though since we're not using perisol and aphsol, I would presume that perhelion/aphelion could apply to bodies orbiting any star, not just ours?[/quote']

No, that would be logical. ;) Can't have that, now can we?

There is a table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apoapsis#Terminology

Yes, but then you are stuck with using perigee and apogee for bodies orbiting the Earth, periselene/pericynthion/perilune and aposelene/apocynthion/apolune for bodies orbiting Luna, perihermion and apohermion for bodies orbiting Mercury, pericytherion/pericytherean/perikrition and apocytherion/apocytherean/apokrition for bodies orbiting Venus, periareion and apoareion for bodies orbiting Mars, perizene/perijove and apozene/apojove for bodies orbiting Jupiter, perikrone/perisaturnium and apokrone/aposaturnium for bodies orbiting Saturn...

It is much easier to use the general terms periapsis and apoapsis.

And in any event, perihelion and aphelion only applies to bodies orbiting the Sun. Periastron and apastron are the proper terms for a body orbiting a star.

Aye... that's why I had chosen Periapsis/Apoapsis... :)

I've had changed it for the Planet to Perihelion/Aphelion, but forgot about Periastron/Apastron...

I think that I'll stick with Periapsis/Apoapsis

Found a bug (that I probably caused while fixing another... oh well)

In *some* cases, the atmosphere composition doesn't add up to 100%...

It only happens in some Biotic atmosphere, but it's bugging me nonetheless...

Hehehe ;))

I've found the Atmosphere bug that made the composition drop below 100% (WELL below... not just rounding errors). I've also uncovered a logic glitch... I had forgotten to remove Gas and Hydrogen planet from the Life determination test... Duh!

Here are the latest output samples...

I've generated a full sector and one planet for each zone (Yellow, Green, Blue and Black)

As for posting the script, I've asked Steven if he gives me persmission to do it, since the script is largely an automatisation of the Star Hero system and planet generation.

Star System Generation Scripts

Having had the blessing of the Almighty Steven, I present you these Ten...

... er... TWO scripts.

They REQUIRE Perl to be installed and functionnal on the computer you are using to run them.

These scripts are based on the Sector and Planet Generation system found in Star Hero

They are is given to the community "As Is".

There is *No* warranty on anything

There is no file writing capability but even so:

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

The only thing I ask of you is to share your modifications to the community, and your feedback with me ;)

Note: I can barely code, so its not pretty and I know it, so don't bother telling me ;)

Here y'a go!

First, the Sector generation script: Sector.pl

Just execute it and you'll get random star system generated for a 20x20LY cube of space. It generates single to 6 stars systems, including the possibilities for strange objects ;). I've let out the Age generation since it's nonsense to have soo many stars close together with very different ages.

It calculates planetary orbits (in AU) with a "bode-like" law, taht is Bode's Law with some randomness thrown in (so it's not all copies of our own system) and taking account of how massive the star is. Howerver, it doesn remove orbits that are too close to companion stars as per Star Hero, so you have to do it manually (and quite easily).

Second, the Planet generation script: PlanetGen.pl

This script REQUIRES four parameters

• Orbit (in Astronomical Units)
  • Star Mass (In Suns)
  • Star Luminosity (In Suns)
  • The Zone the orbit is in (Yellow, Green, Blue, Black... case insensitive)

ex: to generate a planet with earth-like parameters (orbit, star mass, etc)

I just type "./PlanetGen.pl 1 1 1 green"

This will generate the Planet itself and any moons, asteroids or ring around it. It will also generate the atmosphere for any of the above which has one, as per the Star Hero parameters

NOTE: in some circumstances NO planet is generated, simply because of the Star Hero system makes it so. If that happens, you'll get the following output: "The planet disappeard in a puff of folger's crystal (Planet too small to form, orbit empty)"

WARNING: It generate planets randomly with some VERY basic parameters used to guide the generation, not with 4 billions of evolutions so it might get some things QUITE wrong. If not satisfied, just run it again with the same parameters, it'll generate another one.

To give you an example of how it can help you generate Sectors faster: Tonight I've generated a whole sector for 20 x 20 lightyears for my game tomorrow...

That's 23 star systems totalling 48 stars, 366 planets with 842 asteroids, 627 planetary moons and 77 planetary Rings.

Of all those planets and moons, 29 supports life.

It took me less than 4 hours (mainly cut & pasting)

Shouldn't be a problem for those versed in that art, which I'm not.

Or else I'd have a web page up already with all the stuff on it ;P

It's on my to-do list!

I already have too many projects I'm working on at the moment or I'd take you up on that. :o

Any one tried it?

Yes !

It's very nice and i'd like to integrate it in SH_Astrogator :)

The only problem is => SH_Astrogator is a C# application and your generator is a Perl script.

I don't know what would be the best way to combine both (i don't know Perl so a C# convertion would be my favorite solution.)

Yes !

It's very nice and i'd like to integrate it in SH_Astrogator :)

The only problem is => SH_Astrogator is a C# application and your generator is a Perl script.

I don't know what would be the best way to combine both (i don't know Perl so a C# convertion would be my favorite solution.)

The best "way" I see it, to minimize modification on both, would be for the perl script to generate an XML file that you could input into your program.

I choose Perl because it's one of the few scripting language I know and that I'm not running Windows. On the plus side, any Perl script can be easily adapted to PHP (as stated on posts above) so it could pretty easily run on any webservers.

I'll have to take a peek at your program using Wine to know if it can be run on that

I ran it. and looked at it Runs well enough and generates data fine enough.

I will need to read the section of Star Hero to verify the logic. I do have a coding suggestion that will help the program. Use the dice modules, either of the Games-Dice or Games-Dice-Advanced Modules from CPAN would simplify your code.

I would say more but I noticed you asked for no comments on code structure.

I would say more but I noticed you asked for no comments on code structure.

Only because the only positive comments I'd be witing for on tha front would be "well, you commented some of your code"

I did it in Perl because I could make it work. I suck at programming because it's not a hobby I enjoy, and I only have very basic training in it (Trained as an electronic/telecom technician, so I have only passing nowledge of programming).

Feel free to comment if you want anyway, I only wanted to eliminate comments from those coding for a living :)