Mary Anders

Mark Rand

Mary's an NPC in my upcoming IST San Angelo campaign. She's the embassy's lead electronics engineer, the daughter of a wealthy family, a gymnastic who won gold at the Olympics, an American Gladiator, and the current Black Scorpion's successor. When she becomes Black Scorpion, she will be transferred to another IST.

Born into a wealthy family, her family thought she'd grow up the way they wanted her to. When she was three, they noticed her grace and energy and took her to the city's ballet school. The owner thought that Mary wasn't suitable and stated that she was better suited for gymnastics. She also gave Mary's parents the address of the school her daughter went to.

Angry, they consulted with their lawyer. The next day, Mary, her parents, and the family lawyer went to the suggested school, San Angelo Gymnastics. While Mary bonded with the owner's daughter, Christine, who was also three, her parents did their best to have the owner, Kimiko Yamashiro, a slender Japanese woman, take complete control of their daughter. "If I agree to this, I will raise her as if she was my daughter's twin sister," Kimiko said. "You will have no control over how she's raised."

After a quick discussion with their lawyer, Mary's parents agreed. They would, inaddition to paying for Kimiko's services keep Mary on their insurance and set up a fund to let Kimiko buy needed things for their daughter. They also agreed on a six-month trial period. If things didn't work out, Mary would still be Kimiko's student. She just wouldn't live with her teacher.

The court gave their blessing to this arrangement. After six months, it became permanent.

When Mary and Christine were six, they took an oath of blood sisterhood, making them even closer. After a discussion, Kimiko and her husband agreed that Mary was now a member of their clan and should be trained in ninjitsu.

More to come.

Re: Mary Anders

By the time Mary was 10, she, Christine, and five of their fellow students began to participate in junior-level international competition. As they began to do well in competitions, the press began to refer to them as the "Superlative Seven". The team members would occasionally take modeling jobs, the money for which would go into accounts that either their parents or guardians controlled.

Starting in ninth grade, Mary, Christine, and their friends were nicknamed "The Wolf Girls" by Wendy Thompson, who headed the "Wendetts", the "popular clique". The name quickly caught on. In the tenth grade, when Wendy and Mary were among the candidates for the two tenth grade seats, Wendy turned to Mary and asked, "Where did you get that, Sears?"

Mary responded, "J.C. Penny, actually. Did you get that at Goodwill?"

Their mothers, who were among the chaperons, heard the comments. "From now on, you will only wear tailor-made clothes," Mary's mother said when the event was over. "Furthermore, you will apologize to Wendy, now."

"No," Mary said. "When I was three, you and father gave Mrs. Yamashiro full control over me. It's too late to do anything about it, now."

"You will accept the clothes I give you and only wear them," Mary's mother snapped. "Furthermore, young lady, you will get your hair cut where I do and you will accept the Lamborghini Diablo I buy for you when you turn 16."

"Any clothes you buy for me are going to Goodwill," Mary said. "I may give them the Lamborghini, too, or I might use it as a race car instead." She then walked away from her fuming mother.

Edit: More to come.

With her husband out of the country on business, Mary's mother sued Kimiko over the arrangements for her daughter, and lost. "What will my friends say?" Mrs. Anders wailed.

Even though she considered saying, "I don't care what your looser friends say," Mary instead said, "I don't know."

Wendy, with her friends in tow, cornered Mary outside and said, "I hope you're satisfied."

Mary said, "Wendy, although we're both daughters of wealthy families, we were raised differently. You were raised by your parents while I was raised by my gymnastics teacher. You're a socialite, I'm a gymnast who wants to participate in the Olympics next year. Sure, we get catty and are have different friends, but I know that you're a good person."

"Thanks, Mary," Wendy said. "Good luck."

"You're welcome."

Over the next summer, The Wolf Girls pulled off an upset and became the U.S. Women's Olympic Gymnastics Team. Then, they did the almost impossible and won team gold and all three individual medals. In their high school, their achievements were recognized and an assembly was held in their honor.

Two days later, Wendy noticed the leotards they were wearing in gym class sported the mascot and colors of a major football rival and playfully teased Mary and Christine about it. It ended with an agreement for a gymnastics meet and a bet. The loosing team would have to, when not in school, spend a week as part of the winning team.

After class, Wendy caught up with Mary. "I didn't want to tease you, but I had to. If I didn't, I'd loose my place in my clique."

"Do you know what's going to happen to you and your friends?"

"Yeah. We're going to loose big."

More to come.

Back to Mary's story.

The day of the meet came. Both teams were pumped up. Wendy and her 13 teammates, who were also the school cheerleaders, came out to the school fight song. After several wolf howls, Mary and her team came out, carrying stuffed wolves and wearing their Olympic uniforms, to Leo Arnaud's Bugler's Dream, the music that's used on television coverage of the Olympic games. To the surprise of their supporters, which included Mary's mother, Wendy's team was soundly defeated.

Both Wendy and Mary were up for homecoming queen in their senior year. Tradition required that the members of the court either lower their heads or curtsy to the queen. Wendy became the queen. Mary performed a deep curtsy. The others bowed. That summer, Mary started racing in the car her mother bought for her and used a Mustang as her street car.

In August of her senior year, Mary, Christine, and other members of the family went to Japan for the choosing of the new Black Scorpion. Also on hand was a relative who was an IST hero. "Since the clan stands for justice, I hope the new Black Scorpion will join the IST."

Each candidate presented her to the spirit that would make the choice. Finally, only Mary, Christine, and Mariko, a relative from Kyoto, remained. "All of you have what it takes. The first one that I ask to leave will be granted the ability to pass through walls. That is you, Christine. I'm sorry."

"I'll join the IST when I finish my college education," Christine said. "I'll call myself Shadowcat."

"The next one that I ask to leave will be the new Black Scorpion's successor. To her, a grant an extended lifespan. That will be you, Mary. Mariko is the new Black Scorpion."

"I'm going to join the IST as an electronics engineer once I finish college," Mary said.

"I will also join after college," Mariko said.

Next, the final part of the backstory, along with a few questions. Meanwhile, I have a writeup to start.

Before I continue, I have some information on Mary's parents.

Her mother, who is senior vice president of Prospector Bank, is concerned about her social standing. She has always told her high-society friends that Mary was going to an exclusive Swiss boarding school. When she and her friends saw Mary, wearing the same white evening gown and long gloves to two formal functions, she felt she had to put her foot down, and was promptly rebuffed.

On the other hand, Mary's father, a financial adviser, was supportive of his daughter's gymnastics career and understood that she liked to dress casually. He tried his best to help his wife understand, but when she didn't, he ordered the family lawyer to side with Mary in his wife's suit against Kimiko, hoping it would force her to forget about it.

During her time in graduate school, Mary, despite being five feet tall and weighing only 110 pounds, competed on the revival of American Gladiators. Years of physical conditioning made her stronger than she looked. Winning the season, she became the gladiator Valkyrie.

As promised, she joined the IST as an electronics engineer and was assigned to San Angelo. There, she works, and spars with Mariko.

So much for her background. Mary is 5 feet tall, weighs 110 pounds, has blonde hair that's as short as Joan Lunden's and blue eyes.

The questions. First, since Mary will eventually be a an IST super, and has had some training, has she gone through the IST training program? Second, IST training sessions include round-robin sparring sessions. Is Mary required to participate in these?

Mary's increased lifespan includes slow aging.

Here's Mary's writeup.

[b]Mary Anders - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
16    STR     6   16      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [3]
18    DEX     24   18      13-       OCV 6 DCV 6
17    CON     14   17      12-
12    BODY    4   12      11-
18    INT     8   18      13-       PER Roll 13-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
16    COM     3   16      12-
8    PD      5   8             8 PD (0 rPD)
8    ED      5   8             8 ED (0 rED)
4    SPD     12   4                 Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
6    REC     0   6
38    END     2   38
31    STUN    2   31
7    RUN      0   7"                END [2]
3    SWIM     0   3"                END [2]
6    LEAP     0   6"                6" forward, 3" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 98[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
37     [b][i]Ninja Weapons And Gadgets[/i][/b]: VPP, 30 base + 7 control cost,  (45 Active Points); VPP Can Only Be Changed At Base (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available ninja gear (-1/2) - END=
18     [b][i]Ninja-to And Saya[/i][/b]: Multipower, 37-point reserve,  (37 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1) - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Blade[/i][/b]: HKA 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 15 (-3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=0
1u     2)  [b][i]Hilt/Saya As Club[/i][/b]: HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 15 (-3/4), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=0
1u     3)  [b][i]Blinding Powder In Saya[/i][/b]: Sight Group Flash 2d6 (10 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2) - END=[1]
1u     4)  [b][i]Sageo As Strangling Garrotte[/i][/b]: HA +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 4 (-1/4), Must Follow A Successful Grab Maneuver (-1/4) - END=0
1u     5)  [b][i]Saya As Breathing Tube (Takezutso)[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Expanded Breathing: Underwater) (5 Active Points); Only Works Close To The Surface (-1), OAF (-1) - END=0
1u     6)  [b][i]Saya And Sageo As Climbing Platform[/i][/b]: +1 with Climbing Skill (5 Active Points); OAF (-1) - END=
20     [b][i]Deflecting And Dodging[/i][/b]: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) - END=0
3     [b][i]Strong Leaper[/i][/b]: Leaping +3" (6" forward, 3" upward) - END=1
2     [b][i]Strong Runner[/i][/b]: Running +1" (7" total) - END=1
1     [b][i]Strong Swimmer[/i][/b]: Swimming +1" (3" total) - END=1
2     Life Support  (Longevity: 400 Years) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 89[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Martial Arts: Ninjutsu
4      1)  Atemi Punch:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 NND
4      2)  Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      3)  Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5      4)  Kick:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 7d6 Strike
4      5)  Knife Hand:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1d6 +1
4      6)  Punch:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike
3      7)  Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 +v/5, Target Falls
1      8)  Weapon Element:  One Weapon Type (GM's choice)
1      9)  Weapon Element:  One Weapon Type (GM's choice)

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 30[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
8      +1 with All Combat
2      +1 OCV with Ninja-to

13      Acrobatics 18-
9      Ukemi: Breakfall 16-
3      Climbing 13-
3      Intonjutsu: Concealment 13-
3      Conversation 12-
3      High Society 12-
3      Persuasion 12-
3      SS:  Pharmacology/Toxicology 12-
5      Seduction 13-
5      Shinobi-iri: Stealth 14-
9      WF:  Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Blowguns, Fukimi-Bari, Garrote
11      Electronics 17-
3      Linguist
0      1)  Language:  English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
3      2)  Language:  French (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)
4      3)  Language:  Japanese (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
2      4)  Language:  Ninja Clan Codes and Symbols (Fluent Conversation; Literacy) (3 Active Points)
3      Traveler
1      1)  CK: London (2 Active Points) 11-
1      2)  CK: Paris (2 Active Points) 11-
7      3)  CK: San Angelo (8 Active Points) 17-
1      4)  CK: Tokyo (2 Active Points) 11-
1      5)  CK: Washington, D.C. (2 Active Points) 11-
3      Lockpicking 13-
3      Jack of All Trades
3      1)  PS: American Gladiator (Valkyrie) (4 Active Points) 13-
7      2)  PS: Electronics Engineer (8 Active Points) 17-
2      3)  PS: Kunoichi (3 Active Points) 12-
4      4)  PS: gymnast (5 Active Points) 14-
4      5)  PS: race car driver (5 Active Points) 14-
7      Security Systems 15-
3      Scholar
2      1)  KS: Ninjutsu (3 Active Points) 12-
1      2)  KS: gymnastics world (2 Active Points) 11-
6      3)  KS: martial arts world (7 Active Points) 16-
4      4)  KS: motor sports world (5 Active Points) 14-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 155[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Fringe Benefit:  Membership: Kunoichi
2      Fringe Benefit:  International Driver's License, Passport
6      Money:  Wealthy
1      Reputation:  champion gymnast (A small to medium sized group) 8-, +1/+1d6
1      Reputation:  one of the American Gladistors (A medium-sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 11[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
3      Lightsleep
3      Absolute Time Sense

[b]TALENTS Cost: 6[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  Ninja Night-Suit Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
10     Distinctive Features:  Style Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses, Detectable by Large Group
15     Hunted:  own ninja clan 11- (Frequently), More Powerful, NCI, Watching
20     Hunted:  enemies of the IST and United Nations 8- (Occasionally), More Powerful, NCI, Harshly Punish
25     Hunted:  United Nations & IST Command 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID (she's a ninja & the next Black Scorpion) (Frequently, Major)
15     Social Limitation:  subject to orders (Frequently, Major)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs Killing (Common, Total)
25     Psychological Limitation:  Loyal To United Nations Very Common, Total
15     Reputation:  lethal Japanese assassin, Frequently (11-), Extreme
5     Rivalry:  with other ninja clans Professional (; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 170[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 19
Total Exp Available: 67
Exp Unspent: 48
Total Character Cost: 389

I'd get rid of the American Gladiator and Kunoichi Professional skills and leave both of them as "Membership" perks. I'd also be tempted to get rid of gymnastics as well and just refer back to her Acrobatics skill.

You need to add Combat Driving, and Transport Familiarity, or else why does she have a Professional Skill: Race Car Driver if she can't drive a car? PS: Race Car driver is pretty superfluous anyways.

In fact, I'd just leave the PS: Electronics Engineer, which should read PS: Electrical Engineer anyways and get rid of the rest of those PS, unless you can think of some that are not being duplicated by skills and perks elsewhere.

I would make Ninja Clan Codes and Symbols a 1 pt fluency, as I'm pretty sure codes and sign languages aren't considered needing full price fluencies when the base language (most likely Japanese) that they are derived from is already owned. So you can knock some points off that.

To finish it off, I'd write up the background, appearance, etc... tabs in a final draft form and put them in with the character sheet and then attach the Herodesigner file with the posted finished character sheet so the rest of us could enjoy this new NPC :-)

Otherwise, looks like an ok character.

TB

I'd get rid of the American Gladiator and Kunoichi Professional skills and leave both of them as "Membership" perks. I'd also be tempted to get rid of gymnastics as well and just refer back to her Acrobatics skill.

You need to add Combat Driving, and Transport Familiarity, or else why does she have a Professional Skill: Race Car Driver if she can't drive a car? PS: Race Car driver is pretty superfluous anyways.

In fact, I'd just leave the PS: Electronics Engineer, which should read PS: Electrical Engineer anyways and get rid of the rest of those PS, unless you can think of some that are not being duplicated by skills and perks elsewhere.

I would make Ninja Clan Codes and Symbols a 1 pt fluency, as I'm pretty sure codes and sign languages aren't considered needing full price fluencies when the base language (most likely Japanese) that they are derived from is already owned. So you can knock some points off that.

To finish it off, I'd write up the background, appearance, etc... tabs in a final draft form and put them in with the character sheet and then attach the Herodesigner file with the posted finished character sheet so the rest of us could enjoy this new NPC :-)

Otherwise, looks like an ok character.

TB

Changes made. Now, all I have to do is condense her biography a bit, then submit the HD file. I just wait until I get my new printer (my old one dies last week) to do it.

Looking over my notes, I realize that Mary and Black Scorpion are essentially the same character and Samantha is a fellow sneaky lady. Also, having the entire gymnastics team Mary's been a part of for years as the U.S. Women's Gymnastics Team is a little strange. With that in mind, I'm thinking of combining the three characters. Mary would be an African-American woman, and Black Scorpion.

The new version has her born in 1980 in Pittsburgh. Her father's influence kept her mother from trying to control Mary's life after they had signed those rights over to Mrs. Yamashiro.

In 1996, Mary would've taken the place of Amy Chow in the Magnificent Seven, the United States Womens Olympic Gymnastics Team, headed by Shannon Miller and Dominique Dawes, that won gold in Atlanta.

I've done a bit of tweaking on Mary's background.

Since I got my new printer working, I was able to print the thread out and write her history out in the HDC file. It's attached.

Edit: I've revamped Mary for IST Pittsburgh. Her Gladiator name is now Panther, the San Angelo city knowledge has been removed, paramedic has been added as a skill, and she is now an African-American woman instead of a blonde.