BoECV vs BoCON

Tonio

Why are these two so different? BoECV allows you to attack using ECV instead of OCV (and against ECV instead of DCV), but you can choose whether it goes against MD or PD/ED, allowing you to build powers you direct with your mind, but manifest physically. (I still want to attack using OECV vs DCV, though! Grrr!)

On the other hand, BoCON turns it entirely into a physical power, period. I can't build a, say, Mind Control Ray, which attacks based on normal DEX-based CVs, but applies Mental Defense and requires EGO+XX for effect.

I could, of course, build it as a regular mental power then add Requires Successful Attack Roll or something... but then I'm stuck with a power for which I need to roll to hit twice, one of those times with a combat value which might be very low for me (ECV), and which might make no sense whatsoever (I'm not attacking using my mind... why do I have to use my ECV?).

Thoughts?

Re: BoECV vs BoCON

I agree that these shoudl be broken down more, but it becomes hard to do so as their values may differ greatly depending on the campaign.

On the other hand' date=' BoCON turns it entirely into a physical power, period. I can't build a, say, Mind Control Ray, which attacks based on normal DEX-based CVs, but applies Mental Defense and requires EGO+XX for effect.[/quote']

I'd call it BoCON modified to -1/4, because in games I play, CON tends to be higher than EGO. If CON and EGO tend to be about the same, just call it the normal -1/2. If EGO tends to be higher, call it -3/4.