Making Hay

Thia Halmades

Question

Hay (get it? Hay? Haymaker? No? Um...) Steve;

This is two questions; first, how obvious is it when an NPC executes a Haymaker? Should I formally announce "the Goblin is using a Haymaker, what do you do?" Can it be SFX? "He winds up like Sammy Sosa..." or can I give it a miss completely (if I want them to be subtle?)

Second question. The goblin starts his Haymaker on 4. It won't "fire" until 5. When do the dice actually get rolled? Or said another way, when is the latest that someone can declare their abort, since by rule, they cannot declare the abort after the dice hit the table. So would I roll on 4, thusly trapping the PC in place (which is reasonable, from a gamist POV) because once the "hit" is confirmed he can't abort? Or do the dice get rolled on 5?

And this of course goes right back to question one, since it stands to reason someone may be more inclined to Dodge, FDodge, MDodge or DFC if they know a Haymaker is coming.

Thanks as always;

~DEM/TH

1 answer to this question

Re: Making Hay

1. Generally speaking, it's obvious the character performing a Haymaker is doing "something big." Depending on the attack, he might be described as "raising his fist for a mighty blow," "preparing to swing his blade as hard as he can," "focusing his most intense effort and power," or what have you.

2. They're rolled at the end of the next Segment (in your example, 5) when the attack goes off.