Summon Answers

Hugh Neilson

Question

I hope I have enough points to Summon Answers!

The Summon power is a tough one to come to grips with, both philosophically and mechanics-wise. Can you shed some light on these:

(a) If I can Summon one being, when is it considered to have departed? Specifically, if it is taken over by another character (say by mind control) is it still my Summoned being, preventing its replacement? The paragraph about forcing a return seems directed at both the Summoner and other characters, so I believe I have to Dispel my own Summon if I want it to leave.

(B) If I have won the Ego contest, can the being be instructed to leave? Presumably, a friendly one may choose to do so if the task for which it is summoned has ended, and/or its friend tells it to go home.

© If I can Summon a specific being, and can Summon multiple individuals (say 8), presumably I need to specify the 8 Summon-able beings. If I choose to summon less than 8, do I select which ones?

(d) Assume I summon a specific being, and it is Amicable. I then abuse it terribly. Does the "Amicable" advantage disappear (and/or an "antagonistic" disadvantage come into play), or does the being return, restored to his friendly old self, next time? If its attitude does change, presumably the character has simply lost those points, correct?

1 answer to this question

(a) It “departs” when it actually leaves; losing control of it does not count as departure. As for having to Dispel it, that depends on the circumstances; for example, the Rules FAQ has a question re: being able to automatically “banish” Amicable Summonees.

(B) The character with Summon can give whatever instructions he wants. It’s up to the GM to interpret ’em and determine what happens. See above re: “banishing” Amicable Summonees.

© Yes, you need to specify; yes, you can pick which of them to Summon if you Summon less than all of them.

(d) That’s up to the GM, but in general a character who abuses an Amicable Summonee is going to lose the benefits of that Advantage until he makes amends. It’s a matter of common sense.