Summon - YES, AGAIN

Hugh Neilson

Question

Steve, this probably departs somewhat from a strict rules interpretation, but when is it intended that +1 "Specific Being" be applied. Clearly, if I want to Summon the chief of police, or the King of the Realm, I need "specific being" (and maybe a lot of points spent on Favors from the GM...).

But i've seen a lot of concepts where the "summon" cleaqrly summons the same thing every time (ie it is a "specific being") to no real game advantage. As an example, consider the Paladin's warhorse. It's always the same horse, but the power would vary only marginally if it were a different horse every time (assuming we don't have a tribe of Orcs that share "Dread fear of Pinto's" ;) , and he's not making bar bets as to the color of the next horse that shows up). Similarly, the ability to Summon a car seems not to benefit iof the car is always a red stingray with fuzzy dice.

As a GM, I'm disinclined to charge the character double points to get the same effect he would get from a normal "summon trained warhorse", as he's not getting any benefits (much less creating an abusive ability). He is adding some flavour to the campaign (especially if he makes the horse recognizable), but enhancing the game, rathere than enhancing the character's effectiveness, seems a poor thing to charge points for. I'd also be inclined to let the horse be replaced if, for example, it were killed (not that I'm above using that for an in-game reason for a quest of some form...).

Sorry if the question makes no sense, but I'm really getting at the corrolary to the Meta Rule of Limitations - if the Advantage provides no advantage, what should it cost?

I'll also take this opportunity to thank you for your Summoned answers to date. [note for house rules: Summon Steve can only be purchased with the Amicable advantage]

1 answer to this question

If you as GM want to let a character Summon a specific being who's not really all that "specific" (e.g., the same cat every time, but a cat who's just a standard cat with no special abilities), you're well within your rights as the GM to allow that without the +1 Advantage. As always, common sense, dramatic sense, game balance, and the nature of the situation and campaign should be considered. But due to the potential game balance problems, the default rule is that if a character wants to Summon a specific being, he must pay for the +1 Advantage, regardless of how "special" or "ordinary" that being is.

I think you could probably Summon me without Amicable. But if I get annoyed I might change the rules to make everything cost double for you and only you. ;)