Whip

Fellick

I've been trying to find a prebuilt instance of a net in my source books and haven't been able to find a single one. The game I'm in requires all equipment to be from a book and I for some reason can't find a bloody net anywhere. If anyone has seen one in a book and could either post it here, or what book they remember seeing it in that'd be great!

EDIT: I feel dumb I named it Whip when it should be Net.....

Re: Whip

I didn't come up with anything specific either. But since a net is by definition an entangle you could just point out that it is in the Fifth Edition Rules under Power - Entangle. A rope net wouldn't have much def although you could increase it's def against normal damage if you wanted to get technical.

So for example an entangle with 2 def and 3 body. Range based on strength. Possibly with extra 3 def only against normal damage to represent the fact that you'll do much better cutting your way out of it than straining at it.

If I come across an actual book with a net write up then I'll post it.

*shrug* The GM doesn't want people making up powers this time around, normally it doesn't matter, but he doesn't want our full plate mail (normally 8/8) to be 15/15. Anyways I checked out the Fantasy and the core books under entangle and the closest I could find was handcuffs.

That sounds more like an Active Point or rPD limit. I fear he may end up just as frustrated because he targeted the wrong thing. Someone may take Full Plate right out of Fantasy Hero and tack on a level of Combat Luck right out of Fantasy Hero and ruin your GM’s day.

Proper application of ‘official material’ is just as prone to muchkinizing as home builds. This is just one of my soapbox issues. People get into arms races with muchkins or trying to house rule them into submission. Instead of addressing the underlying issue, they liberally apply band aids until one or both parties becomes frustrated and the game is no longer fun for anyone.

Nets are listed in the Ultimate Martial Artist (UMA) under Toami. It lists three variations, mostly dependant on the size of the net.

Small Net: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF; Entangle and Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (50 AP; 15 RC); OAF (-1), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4)

Medium Net: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF; Entangle and Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), AoE 1 Hex (+1/2) (70 AP; 21 RC); OAF (-1), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4)

Large Net: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF; Entangle and Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), AoE 5” radius (+1) (90 AP; 28 RC); OAF (-1), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4)

Please note that I just copied these from the book; I didn’t check the math, and I didn’t bring them up to FREd. I would definitely add Range Based On Strength, and might even add a Dex roll to using them. They would definitely require an Uncommon Martial Arts Melee Weapon Familiarity to use.

If you really want to be nasty, add an Armor Piercing Damage Shield to simulate hooks on the net digging into tender flesh, finding the nooks and crannies in even plate armor.

A metal net could also have more DEF, if you're worried about that.

Hope this helps.