STR Bought With (1) Variable SFX...

HalloweenKnight

Question

It was just a simple thing to give a 350-point startup superhero character some "color"...

Then the second-guessing came, and questions of "legality", and finally I'm here to ask for what I'll consider the FINAL answer.

The premise was this: A "Brick" with a "Fiery Aura" who could exert his STR to do either regular damage vs. PD *OR* fire damage vs. ED. Not both at the same time, and no combinations thereof. Just the ability to change his STR damage from being vs. PD to being vs. ED at will.

Now, how to do this? And how to do it in a way that a 350-point character could afford it comfortably and still be a "Brick" with appropriate amounts of STUN and defenses, etc etc?

My Preferred Solution: The simplest, most direct and most inexpensive method I came up with was to buy all of the character's STR with a +1/4 Variable SFX Advantage (regular STR vs PD or Fire damage vs ED). Quick and clean.

Then I started second-guessing myself: Would a GM disallow this for any reason, i.e. is it rules-exploitive? Granted, the only alternative SFX is "fire" vs. ED, but then again, how many SFX *would* be vs. ED besides fire? (The only one that readily comes to mind is electricity.) Should it be a +1/2 Advantage instead?

Alternative #1 was an EB bought as a Damage Shield. The damage had to be equal to the character's STR or else there was no point in having it all. And at that level, its cost was just too much.

Alternative #2 was putting the Damage Shield AND the STR as two slots of the same Multipower. But then the STR lost all of its benefits to Secondary Characteristics, and the character wasn't a "Brick" any more.

Alternative #3 was buying a simple HA and defining it as doing fire damage vs. ED, and therefore all of the character's STR behind it did fire damage vs. ED too. The ability to exert fire damage vs. Entangles and Grabs would be lost (any bindings prohibit the use of most HA, right?) and the low cost was certainly appealing, but it still seemed too rules-exploitive to me.

Well, you can see why I've brought my question here. Which one of these would be the one solution that I could put on my character, take him to a convention, sit down at a table for a run and not have the GM say "no"?

1 answer to this question

Re: STR Bought With (1) Variable SFX...

To the extent you're looking for campaign advice and discussion, I'd suggest posting in the Discussion board. To the extent there's a rules issue here, yes, it's book-legal to buy Variable SFX as a naked Advantage for STR, but of course the GM can always disallow it.