A pair of power sets into 5th ed Champions from City of Heroes?

Blackwolfe

I know that the title for this is kind of strange but when a friend of mine told me that he was going to run the "Shades of Black" adventure as a set up for a Reality Storm game, I asked if I could make one of my favorite characters up from the MMO "City of Heroes" up for the game and my friend said yes.

Problem is I don't know how to exactly write up the Spines and Willpower sets for the Scrappers from that game. I know that there is alot of killing attacks there (it's spines after all) but how do you explain some of the effects of those powers into 5th ed?

Any help would be welcomed.

Re: A pair of power sets into 5th ed Champions from City of Heroes?

I'm not super familiar with either of the powersets, honestly - but Willpower would seem to be a lot of different types of Damage Reduction. You still take damage, but your iron will allows you to grit your teeth and ignore some of it.

As for spines? Again, I'm not incredibly familiar with it - but I suspect a lot of the effects could be covered with a HtH killing attack (hand spines/claws), the same as a 0-END damage shield (pokey bits all over - don't punch him!), a ranged killing attack (firing a spine from one's arm), and the same with AOE: radius (blasting spines out all around you in a burst). If the above attacks are too deadly for your style (they'd likely be for mine), change them to extra HtH damage and energy blasts that work off of PD instead of ED (a physical blast, if you will) - the same special effects, but not so inherently deadly (ie. better for a Silver-Age feel game)

Fire out some specific effects you'd want to cover, and we can get into some more detail.

http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Spines

This is the Paragon Wiki page for the spines powerset

http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Willpower

and this is the Paragon Wiki page for the Willpower powerset.

Thank you for your advice, Spider, I'll start to write up what I can with that. I hope the above to links can help to explain what I'm trying to do better. I apologize for mucking it up everyone when I first posted this question.

Problem with City of Heroes in Champions terms is their powers often translate into compound powers with several different effects.

Barb Swipe Melee, Minor Damage (Lethal), Damage over Time(Toxic), -Speed, -Recharge

So that would be a HKA, PLUS a continuous NND vs life support, PLUS a DEX drain, PLUS a REC drain.

Presuming a 60 pt cap on attacks

Barb Swipe: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 55 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR) (Real Cost: 15) plus Energy Blast 1d6, Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense ([LS: Toxin immunity]; +1) (15 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Drain DEX 1 1/2d6 (Real Cost: 15) plus Drain REC 1 1/2d6 (Real Cost: 15)

4 END plus 1 END for every phase you want the toxin to continue.

Here's my take on the Spines powerset:

Cost POWERS

2 Drain REC 1d6 (10 Active Points); Linked (Throw Spines; -1/2), Linked (Barb Swipe; -1/2), Linked (Ripper; -1/2), Linked (Lunge; -1/2), Linked (Spine Burst; -1/2), Linked (Quills; -1/2) - END=1

2 Drain SPD 1d6 (10 Active Points); Linked (Throw Spines; -1/2), Linked (Ripper; -1/2), Linked (Lunge; -1/2), Linked (Barb Swipe; -1/2), Linked (Quills; -1/2), Linked (Spine Burst; -1/2) - END=1

70 Spines: Multipower, 70-point reserve, all slots Personal Immunity (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (122 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Visible (Spines/Quills sprout from body.; -1/4) - END=

2u 1) Ripper: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (7" Cone; +3/4) (52 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Visible (Spines; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) - END=5

4u 2) Quills: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Range Based On STR (+1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (5" Radius; +3/4), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (64 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Visible (Spines/Quills sprout from body.; -1/4) - END=3

2u 3) Spine Burst: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (3" Radius; +3/4) (52 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), Visible (Ohhh... Spikey!; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) - END=5

3u 4) Impale: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); Visible (Spikes and spines on hands; -1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) - END=6

3u 5) Barb Swipe: Hand-To-Hand Attack +12d6 (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Visible (Spines sprout from hands; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) - END=6

3u 6) Lunge: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6 (4d6+1 w/STR) (60 Active Points); Visible (Spines appear on hands.; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4) - END=6

3u 7) Throw Spines: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (7" Cone; +1) (60 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Visible (Spines/Quills sprout from body.; -1/4) - END=6

POWERS Cost: 94

One other little tidbit for the Willpower set - adding the limitation "requires EGO roll" to the damage reduction seems like it'd be a nice little touch to get that "gritting your teeth through the pain" feel.

Doomed Prophet:

The answers to your questions:

1. 300 even in order to help us survive the upcoming insanity that will be Kreutzer and Destroyer teaming up eventually.

2. Maybe between 210 and 220 points.

I'm still in COH and waiting for the upcoming issue to come out so that I can get the Roman-themed parts for my costumes.

Spidey88:

Good suggestion, I'll use that when I start to figure out the willpower set.

McCoy:

Thanks for the advice, I'll work that one in as well into Prophet's thoughts on he spines set because it looks like a good addition to what Prophet's already came up with.

Thank you all for the advice/help that you've given me so far, I've got the spines part pretty much figured out with all of your help.