Advantaged HAs with Move-By Attack

Silbeg

Question

I am currently building a character, and wanted to make sure I got the rules correct on stacking damage with HAs, STR, and movement.

First, the character has the following:

STR 20

+4d6 HA, AP

30" Running

My assumptions:

1) If he were just standing still, and "punching", he would get 8d6 AP HA, based on 5ER 408... that is pretty clear.

2) Now, if he performs a Move-By, his movement damage is modified by the AP Advantage, thus it will take 7.5" of Running to get +1d6 AP on the move-by. 30" Running will give him +4d6

3) The HA damage is not halved for a Move-By attack... this is one I am not 100% sure of, but seems to be the case.

Thus, his Move-By attack will be

2d6 (from STR) + 4d6 (HA) + 4d6 (v/5) = 10d6 AP HA

Since the HA damage stacks on his STR damage, I believe this should not be affected by the "doubling" rule... I also wanted to be sure of that.

Thank you!

1 answer to this question

Re: Advantaged HAs with Move-By Attack

Per 5ER 185, HA damage counts as “base damage” for the purposes of the doubling damage rule. So this particular attack starts as 8d6, AP base damage. Per 5ER 409, multiply the inches of movement ordinarily required to add +1 DC by the Advantage (+1/2 in this case) to determine how many inches are needed to add +1 DC to this attack. 5” x 1.5 = 7.5” per +1 DC; 30” divided by 7.5” = 4, meaning +4 DCs.

However, that's not the end of the analysis because of the way damage is calculated for a Move By: STR/2 + vel/5. That reduces the STR dice from 4d6 to 2d6. The HA dice aren't affected by this halving. So, you get a 10d6 AP attack: 2d6 (STR) + 4d6 AP (HA) + 4d6 (velocity) = 10d6 AP.