Fantasy Grounds and Hero System: Good Fit?

Chris-M

Is anyone here currently using Fantasy Grounds to play any kind of Hero System game live on the computer (or have you recently)? Is it a good digital tabletop option for online gaming a Hero System game?

I did look at earlier threads, and it seemed like none of the information was recent, so I thought it would be cool to ask again. BTW, the reason I'm asking about Fantasy Grounds specifically is that a friend of mine is trying to talk me into buying the player client to play in online D&D games with him, which I would be cool with doing, but only if I might be able to use it to play Hero online as well.

Re: Fantasy Grounds and Hero System: Good Fit?

You might want to look at the older threads on the "Other Software & Online Resources" board if that's not where you were. There are a couple good ones out there that are actually free. A group is still using OpenRPG with a pretty good level of satisfaction from what I understand (I played in the game for quite a while and it went well). You might get somewhat better quality if you pay for it, but I wouldn't expect Hero System support to be very high in that kind of commercial product (anyone who can prove me wrong, please do so!).

Yeah, I saw that thread (and I suppose I should have just performed some bubbamancy on it -- my bad).

So it's not an issue of "support" in the usual sense -- it's more a question of whether anyone has created an XML file so that FG will support Hero rules specifically. If they have, the software *should* work just fine. I was curious if anyone had, and if it worked as well as purported.

• 2 years later...

Wow, that would be awesome... The main aspect I see would be programming initiative into there... It seems, as in here and here, that it is possible, though. With both Fantasy Grounds and Hero Designer softwares, not only we could play much more, but potentially Hero System would be much more known and played (what'd culminate in a finantial return...)...

It could start with a simple version that could be improved over time. It couold be sold, and the profit shared among Hero Games and the programmer (why not Digital Adventures? It seems they have made a pretty good job for other systems!)!

Steve, I am a newbie in Hero System, but I see myself as a huge fan, already! Give it a second thought, would ya?