Quick question: Viper

Wakshaani

I know that, as of FRED and Champions Universe, VIPER's anagram has been revealed, but, it doesn't feel right. I coiuld swear that it was mentioned in an older location and was quite a bit different than the 'new' one, but, I'll be buggered if i can remember what it was.

Anybody know what VIPER stood for before today?

Re: Quick question: Viper

According to the Fourth Edition VIPER sourcebook, the name for the group was suggested by Senator Robert Ashe, first leader of VIPER, at the initial assembly of VIPER's founders in 1946. It was chosen "as that better described the organization; secretive and hidden, but always capable of striking." (p. 7) Going back even further, to the Super Agents supplement, "They took the name VIPER as a code-word cover for their illegal operations; whether the name is an acronym or they simply liked snakes as a symbol of their concealed activities which could suddenly erupt into deadly action is a mystery even after forty years." (p. 84)

AFAICT VIPER was never given an actual acronymic before Fifth Edition.