Help Defining two powers

Drakkenkin

I'm trying to make some powers for a friend. One of them I think I have set up well but the other I'm not sure what I should really do.

The power setting will be lowish with character made from 125 to 150 points. (the max points for a character have not been set in stone yet.)

First :: A body armor made out of harden super natural-esk plasma that shatters if it is hit to hard and to often, and will move with the character.

I was thinking

Entangle 2d6, 4def [only to form barriers: -1, self only: -1/4, no range: -1/2] :: cost 30 a / 11 r

Second :: The ability of Chuck, form the TV show Chuck, to tap into a , for lack of a better word, database of knowledge. Character can use it on command but it takes more time.

Here is my latest stab at it

Clairsentience (retrocognition) [Extra time(only to activate): 5min: -1, RSR (-1 per 5) : -1, concentration (0DCV, Must maintain concentration throughout, not aware or surroundings): -1 1/2,, Only to look into past police records: -1/2 ] :: cost 40 a / 7 r

Please let me know how you would build them.

Re: Help Defining two powers

First :: A body armor made out of harden super natural-esk plasma that shatters if it is hit to hard and to often' date=' and will move with the toon.[/quote']

Armor with the Ablative limitation, probably BODY only

Second :: The ability of Chuck, form the TV show Chuck, to tap into a , for lack of a better word, database of knowledge. Toon can use it on command but it takes more time.

Either a Skill VPP, Universal Scholar or KS: All Human Knowledge at a really high roll (probably at least high 20's to mid 30's based on the penalties).

Extra time can of course be applied to any and all of the above...

What is a "toon"? Is that some trendy new synonym for "CHARACTER"?

Apparently. This isn't the first time someone from the MMORPG [sic] community has used the term on these boards, that I have seen.

I wish I could hope it's the last. I fear it won't be. But I"ll be d****d if I'll put up with it.

I'm trying to make some powers for a friend. One of them I think I have set up well but the other I'm not sure what I should really do.

The power setting will be lowish with toons made from 125 to 150 points. (the max points for a character have not been set in stone yet.)

First :: A body armor made out of harden super natural-esk plasma that shatters if it is hit to hard and to often, and will move with the toon.

I was thinking

Entangle 2d6, 4def [only to form barriers: -1, self only: -1/4, no range: -1/2] :: cost 30 a / 11 r

No, Entangle is an ATTACK power.

You've got two basic options here, with various variations upon them.

Basic Idea 1: a personal FORCE WALL. There are some complicating factors with such an approach, but it models your general effect well. Here is a sample character built around such a power: Dozer of the Violators.

Basic Idea 2: Either Armor or Force Field with the ABLATIVE limitation applied to it. This is the easiest approach.

Second :: The ability of Chuck, form the TV show Chuck, to tap into a , for lack of a better word, database of knowledge. Toon can use it on command but it takes more time.

Clairsentience (retrocognition) [Extra time(only to activate): 5min: -1, RSR (-1 per 5) : -1, concentration (0DCV, Must maintain concentration throughout, not aware or surroundings): -1 1/2,, Only to look into past police records: -1/2 ] :: cost 40 a / 7 r

The "KNOW IT ALL" ability can be done many different ways; here are three (one of which also uses Retrocog): Know it all abilities

Ok, now, and this is for your own good, please please please stop calling characters "toons". For some irrational reason it's like fingers on chalkboard ;)

Apparently. This isn't the first time someone from the MMORPG [sic] community has used the term on these boards, that I have seen.

I wish I could hope it's the last. I fear it won't be. But I"ll be d****d if I'll put up with it.

We've got to stamp it out. My teeth jump right to the edge when I read it.

"Toon" = cartoon or cartoon-like PC.

Outside of the RPG "TOON: The Cartoon Roleplaying Game" players have Player Characters (or PCs), NOT "toons".

:rofl: I have been using that term since I played COH and you're the first one to make a big deal about it. Granted, I don't post alot, but still...

For your personal reading enjoyment, I have removed that taboo from my original post.

Personally, I see any fictional character as cartoon like. Some are just anchored in reality more then others. Then again I see graphic novels and manga as large, bound comic books, and anime as Japanese cartoons, but what are you going to do with us ignorant masses?

Nevertheless, in hopes of keeping future discussion threads from being hijacked, I will heed Killer Shrike's advice.

Basil :: As I thought about it I should be thankful that you pointed out that T**n may not be the best word for this situation. I wasn't getting many posts until you did so.

For your first idea: Armor, Ablative, with the special effect it goes "bang" when it gets down to 0 defense.

Your second: do you want to "tap into" any database, or only police databases?

I was thinking of just into the police database.

No, Entangle is an ATTACK power.

You've got two basic options here, with various variations upon them.

Basic Idea 1: a personal FORCE WALL. There are some complicating factors with such an approach, but it models your general effect well. Here is a sample character built around such a power.

Basic Idea 2: Either Armor or Force Field with the ABLATIVE limitation applied to it. This is the easiest approach.

FORCE WALL :: This is the first power I tried to use. It looked similar to what you have, but ideally there would be more body so the defense would not break once it was breached every time.

ABLATIVE :: Using the optional rule where 5AP are removed may give a similay feel that would work.

-I was thinking ENTANGLE at first for 2 primayry reasons. In the description of FORCE WALL it gives the instruction to use ENTANGLE when you want a wall with body. Combined it with the FORCE WALL lim. Self Only and became, almost, exactly what was ordered.

ENTANGLE is defined as an attack power, but as far as I know that definition has no Game Mechanic based effect. Attack Powers are defined as being primarily use for attacks, but they don't need to be. Perhaps I'm to liberal with that definition, but I have seen ENTANGLE used to help the heros and FORCE WALL used to hinder villans.

The "KNOW IT ALL" ability can be done many different ways; here are three (one of which also uses Retrocog)

I looked up the Retrocognition know-it-all abilities you have. They gave me a better idea of what I could do to give it a better feel. Thanks for your help.

FORCE WALL :: This is the first power I tried to use. It looked similar to what you have, but ideally there would be more body so the defense would not break once it was breached every time.

ABLATIVE :: Using the optional rule where 5AP are removed may give a similay feel that would work.

-I was thinking ENTANGLE at first for 2 primayry reasons. In the description of FORCE WALL it gives the instruction to use ENTANGLE when you want a wall with body. Combined it with the FORCE WALL lim. Self Only and became, almost, exactly what was ordered.

ENTANGLE is defined as an attack power, but as far as I know that definition has no Game Mechanic based effect. Attack Powers are defined as being primarily use for attacks, but they don't need to be. Perhaps I'm to liberal with that definition, but I have seen ENTANGLE used to help the heros and FORCE WALL used to hinder villans.

Force Wall is both an Attack and a Defensive power, which is a significant difference.

Attack does have a particular definition, given in at least one place in the rulebook, and there are various things related to it. For starters, a character can't attack themselves. Entangles are also normally not mobile. Entangles also normally prevent a character from moving at all, and affect their DCV harshly. If you are really really dead set on using it, you can hand wave it all away, but there's a lot of baggage involved in trying to bend Entangle to this purpose.

One of the things that I think you are getting hung up on is the idea of the defense having "BODY". This is not normal for defenses. However, if you are determined to do it like this and neither FW nor Ablative FF or Armor works for you, consider building the force field as a VEHICLE. That will give you the combination of DEF and BODY, and the idea of the protection getting chunked away. Rather than buying the vehicles' DEF outright via its stat, instead buy numerous Armor powers, 1 PD / 1 ED each. When the Vehicle takes body and starts losing powers it will lose a 1 PD / 1 ED armor slot each time thus slowly degrading and finally getting broken completely.

Some oddness to contend with:

*The character will have to "repair" the effect to restore it vs just turning it on again or waiting a day as they would with a straight power; you can accomplish this via a Power Skill vs Mechanics since its not really a mechanical vehicle but rather the manifestation of a power.

* The character will have to make piloting rolls to move around. Again, you can use Power Skill for this instead of Combat Driving / Piloting.

Here are a couple of characters that use a VEHICLE as their primary defense. Theirs are real vehicles, whereas yours would be a power manifestation, but the basic idea is the same.

Mr. Goodspeed, specifically Power Armor

ERG-9 and Containment Suit

• 3 weeks later...

The power setting will be lowish with character made from 125 to 150 points. (the max points for a character have not been set in stone yet.)

First :: A body armor made out of harden super natural-esk plasma that shatters if it is hit to hard and to often, and will move with the character.

I was thinking

Second :: The ability of Chuck, form the TV show Chuck, to tap into a , for lack of a better word, database of knowledge. Character can use it on command but it takes more time.

Like most people I would say ablative armour would be the best bet for the first option.

For the second one I would say this:

cost

2 KS everything (9 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3) 18-