Martial Arts Move: Binding

I'm looking for something that approximates the GURPS Martial Arts maneuver "Binding": an attacker's limb is parried, often with the help of a cord, removed shirt, or whatever loose thing the defender has on hand, thus Grabbing the attacker's limb. Generally speaking any further attacks are likewise parried and bound, and other attackers might even be trapped in the same way if there's enough rope/flag/whatever to go around. If you have ever seen a martial arts movie you have seen this move in use. Examples that spring immediately to mind include "Fong Sai Yuk" (the early fight at the sports competition, the rope fight) and "The Transporter" (the bus-depot fight).

How best to handle this?

Note: answers in the format "buy TUMA" are not useful. :)

My gut instinct is a low-level Entangle with Set Effect (only attacking limb(s)), Cannot Form Barriers, Nonresistant DEF (or No Defense), No Range, Only Follows Block, OIF (binding material of opportunity) and possibly Gestures (to keep one hand occupied, at minimum). I'd have to wing the "Entangle goes away if characters separate" part.

Any better ideas?

Originally posted by Farkling

it just sounds like a Block followed by a Grab to me.

Well, no. Differences:

* barring Extra Limbs, you can only legally Grab one (or possibly two, if you take the STR penalty) people at a time. I need more than that - say, up to 4-5 people at a time, with a long enough grabbing implement.

* all you're doing is restraining your target. Smashing him into something, squeezing or throwing isn't really practical.

* most of your OCV/DCV penalties should be lighter, since it's an object that's taking care of most of the leverage concerns for you. While you are somewhat distracted, all you essentially have to do is apply weight to one end of your grabbing implement.

* ideally it will happen on the same action, since the grab IS the block, in a sense. I could try pitching "abort to grab" as a defensive action to my GM, but that still fails to address the above points.

Hero is a really good system. Where I find it falls down, in terms of representing fancy martial-arts techniques, is this "you cannot multi-attack with a defensive action" rule, thus eliminating useful things like "Block-Grab" multiple-power attacks and the always-entertaining "aggressive parry" (you punch the incoming arm/kick the incoming leg). Apparently specific maneuvers (Defensive Throw) exist to compensate for this sort of lack, so I suppose this could be made into a new maneuver (Defensive Grab?) as well.

Firstly, UMA has "Grappling Block" which allows you to block and grab at the same time. Personally I allow construction of Offensive Block, which allows for a block and an attack. The thing is that neither maneuver contains the Abort Element. So, you have to hold your action, then block and attack when the other guy attacks.

You can also do the Counterstrike Damage Shield, if you must have the abort. You abort to block, the Damage shield takes care of the damage.

___

For your original power, my suggestion would be to go with the Entangle, seasoned to flavor (triggered by successful block or Damage Shield, requires local material, etc.)

D

Entangle, Triggered by successful Block.

Requires flexible focus of oppurtunity, Entangle DEF and BOD cannot exceed DEF and BOD of object, up to 2" combat Stretching, limited by focus of oppurtunity, focus is destroyed if Entangle is destroyed,

Season limitations to fit.

Alternatively, just ballpark a Martial Arts manuever at 4 DC's or so. A 2d6 NND is 20 Active Points, why can't a generic Martial Arts Entangle manuever be built off the 20 Active Points, requiring a "focus of oppurtunity" at hand as a special effect?

It's no stranger than the existing Grab or NND or Flash attack existing in Martial Arts. GM fiat can allow it as abortable (since neither you nor I have a UMA to build it with) by comparing OCV/DCV with the block mods. It could keep your limb commited also, as you will need to maintain contact to support the "hold" manuever (as a Grab). There's no reason it SHOULD commit to a hold. Think Jackie Chan whipping the cloak around their arms and knotting it before pushing them to the groung. You can even Sweep with it if your weapon (GM) supports it. I imagine you should pay the point for some sort of Weapon Element "tangle weapons" also...

Heh. I will have to get Hob (Jimmy Song) to test this for me in the CyberSpies game. I like the way it sounds.

Nemesis::

I am also momentarily confused...I thought that when one rolled a Block manuever, one was allowed to continue rolling Blocks until their next action....like missile deflection is designed. Did I miss something in the combat rules?

OH !! An alternative varaint

Stretching linked Extra Limbs, Object of Oppurtunity, only to restrain one's opponent

Of course...it is very early and I am mathemagically challenged at the moment.

Originally posted by Farkling

Nemesis::

I am also momentarily confused...I thought that when one rolled a Block manuever, one was allowed to continue rolling Blocks until their next action....like missile deflection is designed. Did I miss something in the combat rules?

You can indeed make multiple blocks, at successive -2 penalties after the first. One of this PC's proposed Penalty Skill Levels will apply to this very "multiple targets penalty" with GM approval :)

Anyway, Extra Limbs itself would also satisfy the Grab issue, and I guess I will have to shake down people I know with TUMA to see about the other..

Thanks all for feedback :)

I think Farkling's got a good idea for what you're looking for. Regarding things like the ol' Block/Attack manuever hinted at, house rules work. Once in awhile, a player comes up with something that generally bucks the campaign in that no one is allowed it. However, if it's a really really cool idea and fits in with the character without being unwieldly to the campaign, it's given a rare exception and allowed. If a power or concept helps everyone enjoy the game and enhances it, it should be allowed IMO.