Training away DCV Penalties from Armor

Jkeown

Re: Training away DCV Penalties from Armor

IMO that method would speak to making the buydown limited to a specific amount, across the board. The total would be enoug to remove the penalty from light armor, but not enough to overcome that from heavier armors.

Yes?

Si! That is it exactly!

I see I'm a little late to the party...;)

The Broken Kingdoms had Moving-in-Armor Levels, which for 5 points allowed a PC to cancel 1 level of encumbrance. You had to buy them armor type specific (leather, mail, or plate), and you couldn't buy more than 2 levels in any one type without GM permission. The cost was calculated as 2 seperate 5 pt levels, one for DCV and one for Dex based skills, limited by "can only cancel encumbrance penalties (-1/2)" and "Plate (or Leather, or Mail) Only" (-1/2).

It was under 4th edition rules, but it shows one way this can done pretty easily.

So you could use Penalty Skill Levels to train away your DCV penalties from armor, should a PC be allowed to buy off the entire penalty? I was thinking allowing a fraction to be bought off, but is it realistic to allow the whole banana?

That, and I need to think of a good name for that skill. Armor Training seems a bit boring. Moving in Armor 101, 102 etc seems a bit much.

There's two factors here, the restriction that armor has on movement (and well made armor minimises this) and the weight. I'd say train away all the penalties for the armor itself, but maybe it's hard to train away the penalty for the weight, especially any movement penalty.

I'm pretty liberal about PSLs. And it makes sense that someone who trains in armor constantly would build both the strength and skill to compensate for the weight. We could nitpick certain activities that require unusual balance and agility - riding a unicycle' date=' walking a tightrope, doing a triple flip - that would be extremely difficult in armor, but those can be simulated by assigning more penalties that the character has PSLs.[/quote']

All of those depend on balance and being aware of how your weight is distributed and to move it to get a given result. This is basically what armor training is. So someone well armor-trained could easily ride a unicycle or walk a tightrope (assuming they could do it without armor). Doing a triple flip means generating enough torque to generate enough angular velocity to flip three times before gravities deadline. So with the increased mass you need to be stronger to do this in armor.

Many knights were taught to do practically everything in armor, even dance. It's a way to get them exercised and used to moving in it. But what if they ONLY get trained to dance, climb etc, in armor? Limitations on skills for NOT being in armor! The king might not be too pleased when a squire wants to turn up to the grand ball in full kit!:eek: