did i do this right

ayinde

Re: did i do this right

That depends on exactly what it is you're attempting to do.

It looks like you've bought Extra Limbs (Tail);Inherent for 6pts and +5 STR;Inherent for 6pts.

Are you attempting to create a character with a tail that is twice as strong (5 STR Higher) as the Characters normal STR?

If so I'd suggest:

Extra Limbs (Tail); Inherent. (6pts)

+5 STR; Only With Tail (-1/2) (3pts)

Total: 9pts

Depends on the concept whether the extra STR should be Inherent or not.

If the tail is like that of a crocodile (which is the strongest part of the animal by far) then Inherent on STR is a good idea. Otherwise... maybe not.

But the tail probably should be Inherent.

First you'd have to make the STR 0END/Persistent as well, that part has been skipped.

But I'd also ask - why can the STR not be removed like the rest of the Characters STR? What about the SFX make it so ingrained as to be unaffected by things like a STR Drain drug?

No, it definitely sounds much more like STR Limited to a specific Limb to me.

Exactly. If the character's base STR is Drained to -30, then the tail would be STR -25. Always twice as strong.

And on a build like this (a croc tail), I (as a GM) would probably waive the '0 END Persistent' on STR. It still takes effort, but no matter how weak you make the croc overall, the tail is STILL far stronger than the legs.:D

Opinions vary, of course.

In effect the strength can be removed' date=' but the tail will always be twice as strong as the rest of the character, no matter how far the base strength falls.[/quote']

Except against a general STR Drain this would be the case with or without the Inherent. The only situation where I can see the Inherent being meaningful is if there is a GM ruling that Limited Characteristics are always Drained first/separately from non-Limited Characteristics. Even if there was some sort of targeted Drain that only affected the STR of the tail, the reduction of the non-Inherent portion of the STR would still reduce the over all STR. Given the existence of Negative Characteristics, I seriously question if putting Inherent on Primary Characteristics is anything other than a waste of points.

Exactly. If the character's base STR is Drained to -30, then the tail would be STR -25. Always twice as strong.

And on a build like this (a croc tail), I (as a GM) would probably waive the '0 END Persistent' on STR. It still takes effort, but no matter how weak you make the croc overall, the tail is STILL far stronger than the legs.:D

Opinions vary, of course.

that would be the case without Inherent as well, since you've purchased +5 STR on the tail.

Inherent would only come into effect if someone attempted to Drain the STR in the tail specifically, in which case the Drain is ineffective, or worst case can go no lower than 5. But as soon as you attempt to Drain overall STR, it because (effectively) a useless Advantage.

1 point worth of wasted points, if it is wasted...

Does inherent actually stop you at the value it is bought for? Normally you can drain STR to -30, so if inherent means that you cannot drain STR below 5 points, you should be paying for it on 5+30 points, which costs 9 points. If you only spend 1 point on it then it arguably prevents the value falling below -25...

I personally would not use inherent like this, in all likelihood, but I'd defend to the death (preferably not mine) the right of someone else to do so if they felt so inclined, and it made them happy.

I personally would not use inherent like this' date=' in all likelihood, but I'd defend to the death (preferably not mine) the right of someone else to do so if they felt so inclined, and it made them happy.[/quote']

I wasn't questioning the person's right to do it, that is an issue for their GM. I was more pointing out that it was one thing to waste points for concept, when doing so actually does something to represent the character. It is another thing to build something and than not have it do what you expect/want it to do within your concept. Personally, as a GM, I don't let player's spend points on useless stuff in my game when I can help it. Part of that is because, I see the points less as a balancing tool than a communication tool.