Spell Advice

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

I'm looking to create an arcane spell (as opposed to a divine spell) that basically puts active, constant magical effects on hold until the caster of the "hold button" spell says "go" again.

And I'm totally out of ideas.

Help is thus requested.

Ouch...

How about this: Do it as a Drain, with an advantage that states that the recovery is bought with the advantage of the longest the character can have (up to the player and GM), with a limitation of the power recovers all at once (-3/4 or -1/2?) instead of slowly.

Or...

You can do it as an Absorb, defined as the spell is absorbed by the character, then released as the same spell when the points are used. Put some limitations on it as to whether the spell can be moved, etc. and there you go.

Any other ideas?

Nightshade

Since there are potentially all sorts of active, constant effects (Uncontrolled powers, Independent powers attached to a location, Constant/Continuous powers etc.), the solution will probably require a little GM hand-waving.

I would go with Suppress, with a limitation "power doesn't shut off" (so that people with Extra Time and the like don't have to do that when the Suppress runs out) and "durations are suspended while power is Suppressed". Buy enough to cover the biggest spells in the game, invoke the Absolute rule from FH, and you're ready to go.

The cheesier way would be Change Environment and get your GM to set a price for "anti-magic zone".

Even cheesier ways are left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Citizen Keen

Maybe I'm off my rocker, and I don't have FREd here, but...

What about a Naked Delayed Effect, Usable As An Attack, maybe with Range and Costs END or something.

Well... I feel sheepish...

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Nightshade

How would the naked power advantage turn off the power though? Is that the usable as an attack part?

Nightshade

You'd buy it as "Delayed Effect for up to X active points of spell - Useable as an attack, Ranged, Costs Enurance, Variable Special Effects" to cover whatever spell you needed to cover.

This would be nasty, because you'd be able to say "cast in ten minutes" when he casts his Blast-O-Spell.

Then the PCs run away from the evil mage and hide for ten minutes. The evil mage is standing around with his minions ten minutes later when BLAMMO! the spell is cast.

HAHAHAHA give that spell to the evil wizard, and ten minutes later you have A DEAD PC! AHAHAHAHAHA!

-cK