attack of the construction equipment

Rebar

I'm putting my PCs up against possessed construction equipment.

These things aren't very fast (couldn't rationalize more than 15DEX/4SPD) but they have massive implements and a long* reach.

*Seriously long. Like, 20" of stretching or more.

http://www.thelightisgreen.com/Sany%20concrete%20pump.jpg

I want to simulate these giant weapons making sweeping arcs across the battlefield. An area effect would be a little too powerful, since it could cover half the battlemap.

What if the attack were, say an AF-cone but it attacked over multiple segments to simulate its slow movement. Maybe a 30 (or 60) degree arc in one segment, followed by a second 30 (or 60) degree arc next to it in the next segment?

Or am I overthinking it?

Ideas?

Re: attack of the construction equipment

The problem with AoE is generally that it is REAL easy to hit with. Change this by leaving it as an AoE cone but making the AoE non-selective, so you have to roll to hit each target. you may also wish to amke it 2 dimensional. Still nasty but a lot less 'end-all' that it would be otherwise.

The problem with AoE is generally that it is REAL easy to hit with. Change this by leaving it as an AoE cone but making the AoE non-selective' date=' so you have to roll to hit each target. you may also wish to amke it 2 dimensional. Still nasty but a lot less 'end-all' that it would be otherwise.[/quote']Right. Non-selective. That's one of those modifiers I've heretofor ignored because it confused me.

As far as 2-D, I was considering it, but the booms can move in 3 dimensions. Although I guess, only 2 dimenssions at a time.

Unless you're talking about truly huge machine (like a phosphate dragline) a typical crane wouldn't have much more than 8-12" of horizontal stretching reach.

Here's one way to build it's combat abilities:

33 Extending the Boom: Stretching 9", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; -1), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4)

51 When Construction Equipment Goes Bad!: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; Bucket at the end of the Boom; +3/4), Double Knockback (+3/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (30" Long, 1" Tall, 2" Wide Line; Swinging the Boom; +1) (127 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Notes: Assuming a vehicle with at least 30 STR this attack does 12d6

• 1 month later...