Area Effect Selective on a Non-Attack Power

Hugh Neilson

Question

OK, be patient with me as I try to wrap my head around my question. An example may be easiest.

Protector has a Force Field which has the advantages Area Effect, radius, Selective. I believe there is no need to roll to hit the target hex since the Force Field has no range (and would not have required an attack roll to begin with).

However, I am uncertain whether Selective adds the requirement to make an attack roll against every target in the area.

The rules note that a Constant power does not permit changing the targets without decativating the power and using it again (meaning you have to hit all your targets again) although you can attempt to hit someone who enters the area as an Attack roll that takes no time.

QUESTIONS:

(a) Am I correct that no roll is needed to hit the target hex?

(B) If Range were added to the power, would it now need to roll to hit the target hex?

(b.1) Assuming (B) is Yes, would that roll be an attack action?

© [the big one] Am I correct that the AoE Selective requires a roll to hit each desired target despite the fact that the base power would not have required any roll to hit?

(c.1) Assuming © is yes, would those rolls be an attack action?

(d) If the targets want to be hit, and drop their DCV to 0:

(d.1) When can they so reduce their DCV (must they have a phase available or abort)?

(d.2) How long is their DCV 0 (ie can they drop to DCV for only this attack, or are they now stuck at 0 DCV until they have another action available)?

Sorry for the multiple questions. Don't hesitate to put off the answer if the shoulder's bugging you.

Thanks

1 answer to this question

Re: Area Effect Selective on a Non-Attack Power

To begin with, I don't understand the example. Using a Force Field in this manner isn't possible. The rules specifically indicate you can't "give" a Defense Power to other characters this way.

Second, this is actually multiple unrelated questions, which may be why you're having trouble asking it. ;)

1. The first question I see here, generically stated, is "If a character has an area-affecting power (either one that's inherently that way, or one with an Advantage like Area Of Effect or Explosion), does he still have to make an Attack Roll to hit the area, and if so does this constitute an Attack Action?"

The answer is: Technically, yes, the character must still make an Attack Roll to hit the correct area. However, in the interest of common sense and dramatic sense, the GM may waive this roll. Regardless of whether the roll is waived, activating the power typically requires an Attack Action.

2. The second question, generically stated, is, "In the event the answer to #1 is "A roll isn't required," if the power is Nonselective or Selective, are rolls still required to hit those targets?"

The answer is: Yes, Attack Rolls are still required.

3. The third question I see here, generically stated, is, "If a character wants to reduce his DCV to 0, when can he do so and how long does it stay at 0"?

The answer is: a character can lower his DCV to 0 at any time as an Action that Takes No Time. His DCV remains 0 until such time as he is able to take a Zero Phase Action and declares that he wants to return it to normal. If prior to that time the character Aborts to a defensive action, that immediately returns his DCV to normal (and of course the action may increase it above that).

I think that covers everything! ;) If not, please post a follow-up and I'll keep tryin'. :hex: