Two pictures

Basil

APOD has had a couple of great pix the last two days

For Solar HERO: what would it look like if your intrepid PCs get on the "dark side" of Saturn (i.e., are situated so that Saturn eclipses the sun)? Saturn's dark side.

While this picture was taken on Earth, it looks extraterrestrial. Perhaps the PCs visit a planet where this is common? Light pillars

Have fun with these. :winkgrin::thumbup:

Re: Two pictures

Hrmp. Light Pillars.

In one of Larry Niven's short stories, fog indicated the presence of parallel universes. You know: a time-line where Hitler won WWII, or some other fork of history.

His idea: you know how in a fog a street lamp looks blurry and fuzzy? Well, you are actually seeing hundreds of parallel universes, each with the lamp built in some other location than where the lamp is in our own space-time continuum. The water drops in the air is a side effect.

So if you go out in the fog, you might wind up in an alternate history.

In one of Larry Niven's short stories' date=' fog indicated the presence of parallel universes.[/quote']

Got it. "For a Foggy Night" by Larry Niven. Collected in ALL THE MYRIAD WAYS.

"Do you know the theory of multiple world lines? It seems that whenever a decision is made, it's made both ways. The world becomes two or more worlds, one for each way the decision can go. Ah, I see you know of it. Well, sometimes the world lines merge again."

''But-''

"That's exactly right. The world must split on the order of a trillion times a second. What's so unbelievable about that? If you want a real laugh, ask a physicist about furcoated particles."

"But you're saying it's real. Every time I get a haircut-"

"One of you waits until tomorrow," said the brown-haired man. "One of you keeps the sideburns. One gets a manicure, one cuts his own nails. The size of the tip varies too. Each of you is as real as the next, and each belongs to a different world line. It wouldn't matter if the world lines didn't merge every so often."

"Uh huh." I grinned at him. "What about my hotel?"

"I'll show you. Look through that window. See the street lamp?"

"Vaguely."

"You bet, vaguely. San Francisco is a town with an active history. The world lines are constantly merging. What you're looking at is the probability of a street lamp being in a particular place. Looks like a big fuzzy ball, doesn't it? That's the locus of points where a bulb might be

-or a gas flame. Greatest probability density is in the center, where it shows brightest."

"I don't get it."

"When the world lines merge, everything blurs. The further away something is, the more blurred it looks. I shouldn't say looks, because the blurring is real; it's no illusion."

Hrmp. Light Pillars.

In one of Larry Niven's short stories, fog indicated the presence of parallel universes. You know: a time-line where Hitler won WWII, or some other fork of history.

His idea: you know how in a fog a street lamp looks blurry and fuzzy? Well, you are actually seeing hundreds of parallel universes, each with the lamp built in some other location than where the lamp is in our own space-time continuum. The water drops in the air is a side effect.

Interesting. I remember a similar idea in something from Flying Buffalo. One in the establishments in one of the Citybooks. (The Citybooks are about halfway down that page.)

Hrmp. Light Pillars.

That explains my life. I never seem to get anywhere because I'm always moving from one alternate universe to another! :eek: