Norse Campaign Journal

Ragnarok

Re: Norse Campaign Journal

Session #15:

• Jax's player approached me and asked if I would provide Jax with a "bit of business", as we call it in the theatrical world. Something specific to his character he can develop, a sort of a "side quest" that isn't necessarily a major plot development. It's good that he is thinking of these things, rather than just riding on the wave of the overall plot. Actually, I kind of wish all the PCs came up to me and asked for this sort of thing, if they gave me the general guidelines of what they want to achieve/reveal. Gives me more to work with. Jax's player asked me for something magical Jax could get involved in...something where he inadvertently gets himself in trouble with power/an entity that far surpasses him. I have just the thing...:eg:

The bold part worries me a bit...wasn't that the point of his dagger in Manic's first campaign?

Also, what's happened to the Axe and the boots Jax acquired from the trolls and Dokkalfar caster several sessions ago (i double checked my notes and apparently he still has them). Those could be easy things to fit plot wise if you don't have something more devious (and entertaining) for him in mind.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bold part worries me a bit...wasn't that the point of his dagger in Manic's first campaign?

Also, what's happened to the Axe and the boots Jax acquired from the trolls and Dokkalfar caster several sessions ago (i double checked my notes and apparently he still has them). Those could be easy things to fit plot wise if you don't have something more devious (and entertaining) for him in mind.

That was at least part of the reasoning behind the dagger. There is no reason to be worried about it, however, because such a plot device is used for fun.

He no longer has the axe. That went away after the incident with Gileas. The boots he still has, but those are not particularly special in that they hold tremendous power and have a richly detailed background.

From what I've been hearing, he's not really shooting for an item-based adventure anyway.

That was at least part of the reasoning behind the dagger. There is no reason to be worried about it' date=' however, because such a plot device is used for [b']fun[/b].

He no longer has the axe. That went away after the incident with Gileas. The boots he still has, but those are not particularly special in that they hold tremendous power and have a richly detailed background.

From what I've been hearing, he's not really shooting for an item-based adventure anyway.

Ok, those were loose ends in my notes (axe and boots) and thats why I brought it up. I understand that the plot device is for fun (i wasn't implying that his side quest wouldn't be). I probably should have used italics or avoided my attempted sarcasm as it typically does not translate to type that well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was at least part of the reasoning behind the dagger. There is no reason to be worried about it' date=' however, because such a plot device is used for [b']fun[/b].

since we're only allowed 1 magic item, i figured getting "rid" of the axe would be better w/ 2 alfar in our midst. as far as i know, it's still sitting in my chest in carrock; maybe we could sell it at some point.

the dagger being possessive was actually richard's idea, not mine.

the boots i was waiting til i have enough points for Analyze and can determine what they do.

this idea of wanting a "side quest" is more or less a reaction to the rest of the group who each has at least one goal in mind; i simple wanted something to drive me, instead of bumbling around learning things and helping people (as fun as that is). whether it's item-based or not is up to our esteemed GM; there are pros and cons for both, such as item-based would probably be easier to contrive in-game, though something else might give better plot/drama depth.