Speed Gains

Hugh Neilson

Question

NOT A RULES QUESTION:

Steve, how many times a day do you check this board? Your turnaround is fantastic. Don't you ever get tired of constant availability? It's like GMing 1,000 people through the character creation process!

OK, the real question. This came up on the boards. A character wants to buy extra Speed that costs END. Let's say it's +4 speed for a 4 speed character (40 active points; 4 END). The question is when does he pay END?

One appoach says he had to choose to use this extra speed on post seg 12, so he pays 4 end per phase on each of 8 phases (32 END for the turn). That sounded right to me initially, but I got to thinking a little further.

If he bought +40 STR, and only used it in tow phases, he would only pay END twice. Why should Speed be different? Maybe he should only pay the END when he chooses to take an extra phase. For example, he could move in phase 2, but doesn't. [i'd say he has to make this choice at his DEX in phase 2 - he can't decide to cut in at a lower DEX unless he pays his END to have the phase available up front.] No END cost - he did not use his bonus speed.

He moves in phase 3 - no END cost since that comes from his base speed, not his "costs END" speed.

In phase 5, he's in trouble, and wants to move away from a brick attacking him. So he pays 4 END and uses the phase to make a full move away. In phase 6, he gets his normla move - no extra END cost. And so on.

I don't know that there is a pat answer under the rules, and it's clearly an ability the GM should consider very carefully as extra speed can be one of the most powerful effects in the game. But assuming the GM is prepared to allow it (ie to grant special permission to purchase the characteristic as a power and apply the costs END limitation), when should that END cost be paid?

Thanks for your insights.

1 answer to this question

I check the boards at least half a dozen times on most "average" days. If I'm away from home or the like, it's less than that, but always a minimum of once per day. It's just part of the customer service y'all deserve for being such great fans! ;)

From the Rules FAQ:

Q: If a character buys extra SPD that Costs Endurance, does he have to pay the END every Phase, or just on the extra Phases he gets from the extra SPD itself?

A: He has to pay END every Phase, because the power remains active every Phase (it just doesn’t happen to have an effect in some Segments). As long as the power is “on,” he pays the END, regardless of whether he does anything else — having the power on represents a potential for action, and he has to pay for that.

A character who has extra Phases from buying SPD that Costs Endurance cannot take a Recovery (other than the standard Post-Segment 12 Recovery) unless he de-activates the extra SPD, since it costs him END every Phase.

If a character with extra SPD that Costs Endurance gets Stunned in one of his “extra” Phases (the Phases added by the Limited SPD) before his Phase occurs in the Segment, he still gets to recover from being Stunned when his Phase occurs in that Segment, since the power doesn’t shut off until the end of the Phase.