Cartomancy: I don't choose to power, the cards do

TheDux

Cartomancy = Tarot = Divination with cards

For use in the game Cartomancy might be misdefined to some extent.

*Prepost Rambling before leading up to the point*

Wow, about to complete my first full campaign (3 months, 1-2 times a week) and about to start another with the same GM. I also got invited to a "newb" campaign as the "seasoned newb", excited about that one. And I am getting back into a game I had to quit because of the evil people at work who changed my schedule. Now this is where I make my point...

*End rambling*

The game I am getting back into there are two important things to note.

I played an energy blaster that was killed (explanation for him leaving the mission), and Mentalist are a big part of society.

The new character I am coming back as is going to be the brother/cousin/something of my previous character. But he is going to be a mentalist. He is getting a typical array of mentalist powers but with one or two Cartomancy Multipowers (two different decks) depending on how the build starts going.

The way I want the powers to work is like this:

He lays out the cards in front of them (on a magical/invisible table). The cards are all blank, depending on the cards placed one of the powers from the multipower will activate.

What I think would be a cool idea is if I used a small deck of cards (A-4/5), different card for each set of powers (offense, defense, maybe a utility deck).

When I use one of the powers I draw three cards. Each power would have a moderate activation roll. Depending on what I draw will decide what power I use using the following rules:

• If all three cards are the same the power doesn't require activation roll.
  • If two cards are the same that power is the one that is used. Each Ace adds a +1 to activation roll. If two cards are the ace, treat the odd card as the power card, activation roll is treated as rule below.
  • If all cards are different then the first card drawn decides the power. You get -1 to activation roll. Each Ace adds +1 to activation roll. If first card is an ace, threat second card as the first card.
  • In case you were wondering about a case where 3 aces come up, 3 Aces are the combination for the "ultimate" power in that set.

So (for example)

A = Ultimate Power | 2 = Fire Spell | 3 = Poison Gas | 4 = Mental Distortion

111 - Fire Spell activates automatically

211 - Fire Spell will activate with successful roll

A11 - Fire Spell will activate with successful roll with a +1 advantage

AA1 - Fire Spell Activates with a successful roll with a -1 disadvantage and a +2 advantage

123 - Fire Spell Activates with a successful roll with a -1 Disadvantage

A13 - Fire Spell Activates with a successful roll

AAA - Ultimate Power

I honestly think my GM would go for this, I don't see this taking to much time out of the game, especial since the GM is good at filling dead time with more detail. I have "play tested" this concept and it takes about 7 seconds if I reference the sheet, 5 if I have it memorized.

Depending on how it works out I might add a couple more cards, or makes rules for 3 card flush/strait.

The powers listed above are just off the top of my head, still need to sketch this character out.

So, ideas? Comments? Anyone else try something like this?

Re: Cartomancy: I don't choose to power, the cards do

Interesting idea. I'd consider the -1 level No Conscious Control limitation - which allows you to decide to activate a power but not to decide quite what happens when you do, which would incorporate both the random element of the power itself and the activation chance.

Re: Cartomancy: I don't choose to power, the cards do

Interesting idea. I'd consider the -1 level No Conscious Control limitation - which allows you to decide to activate a power but not to decide quite what happens when you do' date=' which would incorporate both the random element of the power itself and the activation chance.[/quote']

Hmm. Yeah. Or maybe NCC on the reserve of a Framework and Activation roll on the reserve and each slot? If the activation varies between the powers, take the least restrictive one for the reserve.