Automated Weapons in a Base

Edsel

Question

Our group is building a base. As a defensive measure we have bought an automated blaster and paid 20 points to have 16 copies. Our base also has an AI computer that is tied into the base and can operate the blasters. I seem to recall a rule of thumb from somewhere that said a computer can run a number of programs equal to its INT/5.

1. Since our AI has an INT of 23 does that mean it can operate up to 5 of the blasters at once?
  2. If there is no AI or computer do automated weapons need to have an operator in order to attack?

I ask the second question because the example on page 469, lower right column, of 5ER talks about Defender installing defensive weaponry in his base but makes no mention of how they are operated. This seems to imply that such weapons require no operator and are truly automated. If that is the case what is the CV and SPD of such weapons?

1 answer to this question

Re: Automated Weapons in a Base

1. Technically "operate weapons" is only one program, but I'm going to delve into this a bit more in UBA. For now as a stopgap consider each separate weapon a "program."

2. The answer to the question, "If a Base has weapons, what are the weapons' CVs and SPDs?", is "They have none on their own; they require an operator (such as a character or a Computer), and use the operator's SPD and CV." Again, I'll cover this more in UBA.