How to build this power?

Zed-F

I am trying to create a ball lightning effect for one of my characters. I want the lightning to be able to act independently of the character to a limited degree (e.g. guard a location, etc.)

Currently I am treating this as a summon automaton, whose main powers are desolidification and a (small) affects solids damage shield. The damage shield also has a side effect such that if it is used against a well-grounded target, the ball lightning explodes for extra damage (but destroying the ball lightning.)

Another possibility would be to use an attack power to do the job. The problem is, in order for it to work the way I envision it, I would have to buy it as a 0 END Uncontrolled attack with a variable trigger.

I don't know about you, but I tend to be leery of uncontrolled 0 END attacks. Which would you prefer to see a PC bring to the table?

Some details on the 2 options. The effect I'm trying to achieve is a small group of ball lightnings are created and swarm to attack a target. They can attack multiple times and will last until dispersed with a wind, water, or electrical attack, or until they strike a well-grounded target, at which point they explode for more damage. They can also be set to guard a particular area. They are composed of burning hot ionized gas, and inflict burn damage both on the exterior surface of the body and through inhalation/bodliy orificies.

In addition to some minor powers and a small amount of flight, the summon (automaton) would have the following primary powers (both 90 AP):

Plasma Body: Desolid (Affected by Electricity, Wind, Water), 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Innate (+1/4), Not through solids (-1/2), Not in contact with well-grounded objects (-1/4), Always on (-1/2)

Plasma Burn: 1/2d6 EHKA (10 AP Base, 90 AP Adjusted), Affects Solids (+2), NND vs. Force Field (+1), Does BODY (+1), 0 END (+1/2), Area: One Hex (+1/2), Accurate (+0), Continuous (+1), Persistent (+1/2), Inherent (+1/4), HTH Damage Shield (+3/4), 1d6+1 Stun Multiple (+1/2), Side Effect: 90 AP power [RKA explosion, one hex area], when attacking well-grounded target, -3/4), Always On (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), No STR/Move bonus (-1/2)

The attack power would look something like this (80AP). Note that this loses out on the explosion for extra damage when attacking a well-grounded target, unless I buy extra dice to add to this with the limitation, only against well-grounded targets:

Ball Lightning attack: 1/2d6 ERKA, NND vs. Force Field (+1), Does BODY (+1), 0 END (+1), Area: One Hex (+1/2), Accurate (+0), Continuous (+1), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Autofire x5 (+1 1/2), Variable Trigger (+1/2). No KB (-1/4), all autofire attacks against same target (-1/4), full phase (-1/2), not in high winds (-1/4)

Of the two, the ball lightning as an attack seems more powerful (i.e. abusive) to me, since:

• overall it costs considerably less & is more efficient
  • there is no limit on how fast the lightning balls can track the target
  • there is no limit to the number of lightning balls that can be summoned. However, there are no practical alternatives to 0 END. Since the power's AP value is quite high, 1/2 END cost is insufficient to reduce the END cost to a reasonable level, and charges is not appropriate for the SFX.

The summon's main advantage is it's difficult to get rid of without appropriate powers. (This is also true of the uncontrolled attack.) However, it's quite slow & relatively easy to evade, and its attack doesn't do a lot of damage, despite the high AP value, unless the target does something to ground himself. A straight 18d6 EB is far more impressive.

Personally I think the summon is a lot more likely as an allowable candidate to acheive the effect I'm looking for. Any comments?