Variable Limitations

Hugh Neilson

Question

Assume a character has a multipower or a VPP. He puts "Variable Limitation" on the frameowrk (MPO base or VPP control cost), say at -1/2. Each power must now have -1 limitations.

The character could choose to have each power able to change its limitations at will - ie the same Variable Limitations. Can he instead define one or more slots as having -1 of "fixed" limitations? Eg. a 10d6 Energy Blast which requires Gestures, Incantations and Requires a Skill Roll every time, thus satisfying the requirement that each power in the framework have -1 of these limitations?

Assuming he can, would he then compute the cost of that power as 25 real points (50 /2) because the limits on this specific power are fixed?

Adding to the above, I'm assuming the VPP is not changeable at will. At a minimum, a skill roll and/or some time is required. In a Cosmic VPP, it seems to me that all limitations would be Variable, ince the character can change the power (including its limitations) at will anyway.

Thanks

Hugh

1 answer to this question

Although it's not clear from your question, I'm assuming that you're saying that every slot bought for the Framework you describe would have Variable Limitations, and therefore the character can apply that Limitation to the reserve/control cost as a whole, per the standard rules. Otherwise I don't understand what you're trying to describe.

If a character has Variable Limitations that apply to a power and he wants to define those Limitations as always being the same thing, he can, but he receives no extra Limitation value or the like. The Variable Limitation would be used in the normal fashion to calculate the slot's Real Point cost.

Note also the Rules FAQ question discussing the inadvisability of putting Variable Limitations on VPP powers.