SoB - extracting graphics (legal purposes)

zornwil

I can't open the PDF in Adobe Photoshop - understandably - so am asking how others have extracted the maps to make blown-up print size ones where applicable?

I understand I could take a screen snapshot and use that. No problem. But looking for better methods.

Please note the purpose is solely for personal game-play. I just want to use the maps in my games.

Re: SoB - extracting graphics (legal purposes)

Originally posted by zornwil

I can't open the PDF in Adobe Photoshop - understandably - so am asking how others have extracted the maps to make blown-up print size ones where applicable?

I understand I could take a screen snapshot and use that. No problem. But looking for better methods.

Please note the purpose is solely for personal game-play. I just want to use the maps in my games.

Why don't you just print from the pdf?

Keith "???" Curtis

Re: Re: SoB - extracting graphics (legal purposes)

Originally posted by keithcurtis

Why don't you just print from the pdf?

Keith "???" Curtis

Because I want to blow it up to hex size = 1/2 inch or 1 inch - note there are many small hex maps that need to be bigger. It's a pain to go and reproduce them bigger manually.

Actually, I (and Andy) went through great pains to make sure the maps remained in vector form in Acrobat so that they would scale for just such a purpose. They should remain smooth and legible no matter what reproduction size you choose, to the limits of your printer. Speaking of which, check your printer software, many have page tiling built into the driver.

Keith "Illustrator* Man" Curtis

*Adobe, that is.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by keithcurtis

Actually, I (and Andy) went through great pains to make sure the maps remained in vector form in Acrobat so that they would scale for just such a purpose. They should remain smooth and legible no matter what reproduction size you choose, to the limits of your printer. Speaking of which, check your printer software, many have page tiling built into the driver.

Keith "Illustrator* Man" Curtis

*Adobe, that is.

I've been looking through, and I don't see how to scale up the page setup. I can zoom in, but that doesn't carry through to the printing. And I can't find a setting anywhere to make the print bigger. Thoughts? I know you're not Adobe tech support, but since HERO put out the game and given your note above, thought you might be able to lend a hand. Thanks.

Originally posted by zornwil

I've been looking through, and I don't see how to scale up the page setup. I can zoom in, but that doesn't carry through to the printing. And I can't find a setting anywhere to make the print bigger. Thoughts? I know you're not Adobe tech support, but since HERO put out the game and given your note above, thought you might be able to lend a hand. Thanks.

I can only answer this from the Macintosh point of view, but I know that Windows MUST have the same capability. On the Mac, you go to "Page Setup" and tell the printer to print at another size expressed as a percentage. When designing the maps, I tried to make them easy to scale, i.e. 1/4' = 1" and so forth. Just tell the printer to print at 200% or 400% and so forth.

This is where it gets problematical. Some printers drivers are smart enough to print out the entire page in 8 1/2 x 11 pieces. Some only print out the upper left most piece and then stop. Consult your printer manual or just try to print one page at 200%. If you don't get 4 pages that fit together, you may need to go to Kinko's and use a poster printer.

My apologies if you knew all this and I have not properly addressed the problem.

Keith "Or you could just print and photocopy at a larger size* " Curtis

PS. The map of the crypt and the dining room are at 100% or close enough.

*Or use really, really tiny miniatures...

Thanks, my print driver is not to sophisticated as to have that many options. I can always screen snapshot and copy to Photoshop.

Edit - adding that HERO should think about making this an easier process. I know they want to prevent piracy, but maps being one of the major deliverables of the package, they should be simple to deal with. Would prefer to have them as single files.