The Magnificent Magnetron

AlHazred

For reasons I will keep to myself for now, I'm designing pre-gen superheroes that I want to be somewhat... off.

Essentially, I want each of them to be a perfectly reasonable, playable character, but with some flaw or element which will discourage people from just using them permanently; I want to encourage a certain subgroup of lazy gamers to create characters they want to play rather than just use what's available.

Please note, the gender of each hero is also supposed to be player's choice.

My superhero creation skills being a little rusty from disuse, I'd love to get some criticism, commentary, etc.

[b]The Magnificent Magnetron - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     5   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [1]
21    DEX     33   21      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
18    CON     16   18      13-
15    BODY    10   15      12-
23    INT     13   23      14-       PER Roll 14-
23    EGO     26   23      14-       ECV: 8
23    PRE     13   23      14-       PRE Attack: 4 1/2d6
14    COM     2   14      12-
5    PD      2   5/25             5/25 PD (0/20 rPD)
5    ED      1   5/25             5/25 ED (0/20 rED)
5    SPD     19   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
10    REC     6   10
40    END     2   40
35    STUN    3   35
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 151[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
40     [b][i]Magnet Gun[/i][/b]: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots OIF (magnet gun; -1/2) - END=
5u     1)  [b][i]Blunt Object Gauss Blast[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 12d6; OIF (magnet gun and small, blunt ferrous metal objects of opportunity; -1/2), Requires Multiple Foci (+1/4) - END=6
2u     2)  [b][i]Magnetic Repulsion[/i][/b]: Missile Deflection (All Physical Attacks), At Any Target, Missile Reflection, Full Range (+1); Only Works Against Ferrous Attacks (-1), OIF (magnet gun; -1/2) - END=0
2u     3)  [b][i]Magnetic Wrap-Up[/i][/b]: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF; Requires A Sufficient Supply Of Ferrous Metals Within 10" Of Target (-1), OIF (magnet gun; -1/2) - END=6
3u     4)  [b][i]Magnetokinesis[/i][/b]: Telekinesis (40 STR); Only Works On Ferrous Metals (-1/2), OIF (magnet gun; -1/2) - END=6
4u     5)  [b][i]Sharp Object Gauss Blast[/i][/b]: RKA 3d6; OIF (magnet gun and small, sharp ferrous metal objects of opportunity; -1/2), Requires Multiple Foci (+1/4) - END=4
27     [b][i]Magnetic Shield[/i][/b]: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED); OIF (magnet gun; -1/2) - END=4
27     [b][i]Magnetic Force Riding[/i][/b]: Flight 20"; OIF (magnet gun; -1/2) - END=4
11     [b][i]Super-Suit[/i][/b]: Life Support  (Safe Environment: High Radiation; Safe Environment: Intense Cold; Safe Environment:n Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing) (16 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0
3     [b][i]Super-Suit Goggles[/i][/b]: Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 124[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
6      +2 with Magnet Gun Multipower

3      Analyze:  Technology 14-
3      Bureaucratics 14-
3      Computer Programming 14-
3      Conversation 14-
3      Cryptography 14-
3      Deduction 14-
3      Electronics 14-
3      High Society 14-
3      Inventor 14-
3      KS: Modern Scientific Advancements 14-
3      KS: The Academic World 14-
2      KS: The Superhuman World 11-
3      PS: Scientist 14-
3      Scientist
2      1)  SS:  Chemistry 14- (3 Active Points)
2      2)  SS:  Electrical Engineering 14- (3 Active Points)
2      3)  SS:  Materials Engineering 14- (3 Active Points)
2      4)  SS:  Physics 14- (3 Active Points)

[b]SKILLS Cost: 55[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Computer Link
7      Contact:  CEO Of Large Corporation (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own) 11-
11      Money:  Filthy Rich

[b]PERKS Cost: 20[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Dependent NPC:  Invalid Brother 8- (Incompetent)
15     Hunted:  ARGENT 8- (Mo Pow, Capture/Kill)
25     Hunted:  VIPER 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture/Kill)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Code Of The Hero (Common, Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code Versus Killing (Common, Total)
10     Reputation:  Do-Gooder Superhero, 11-
15     Social Limitation:  Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)
15     Susceptibility:  Intense Magnetic Fields 1d6 Drain END per Turn (Uncommon)
10     Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x BODY from Electricity-Based Attacks (Common)
10     Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x STUN from Electricity-Based Attacks (Common)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

BACKGROUND

A Swedish electronics researcher who built devices that he might become a champion of justice. While he was always a generous man, using much of his wealth to fund a variety of good works and social projects, Magnetron was galvanized by a VIPER attack which left his brother paraplegic. Using his research into magnetics to design a suit and a pair of magnet-guns, he set out to bring evil-doers to justice. He has begun with VIPER, but has already drawn the attention of ARGENT, a villainous think-tank which seeks to use his inventions to commit crime.

POWERS/TACTICS

Magnetron has a number of powers related to magnetics. His Magnet Gun Multipower contains five abilities, but since they are all ultra slots he can only use one power at a time. His Gauss Blasts involve using magnetics to fling pieces of metal at his opponent; if they're sharp they do Killing Damage, but otherwise it's just an Energy Blast. He can also use the Magnet Guns to wrap large pieces of metal in the vicinity around the target (Magnetic Wrap-Up), or just push targets around if they have a significant metal content (Magnetokinesis). Finally, he can use the Guns in a defensive manner by pushing metal flying at him or someone else out of the way (Magnetic Repulsion). He can also fly by using the Earth's magnetic field, and has constructed a suit with both a magnetic force field, life support equipment, and a visual enhancement.

Re: The Magnificent Magnetron

Okay' date=' I give up. What's supposed to prevent Magnetron from being used indefinitely? What's the "off" part?[/quote']

I would say low endurance. This character will burn it very fast.

As I see it I would have done it as a END Battery with a bizarre recharging cycle (recharges at base only type thing. A faster charge but only at base would make it tough on the player) I would consider putting flight and shield in the suit and have the gun and suit powered by a limited END Battery.

Just my wooden nickle.

I wanted to keep him simple.

A big problem is that Magnetron's an energy projector who needs other objects around him to do any of his attacks. Except the Magnetokinesis, but that's only perfectly effective against Power Armor types.

In any case, how many points would you put in an END Battery to "fix" him?

Well, since I went and made the comment I would say 60 - 80 point end battery would be enough to make a viable hero, with a either a low recovery and/or recovery only at lab to make it hard to do every thing at the same time

Okay my thoughts would be 6 to 8 phases of "full use" at 14 end (flight, shield and attack) is too high. So I would want to make the player budget END so figure 2 turns with only flight and shields would be 80 end (spd 5) (assuming they fly and shields up every phase)

So a 70 point end battery with Limited charging (Only on Gun Charger or slowly (1minute for 3 points) Once charge is done power shut down no stun burn (it is either a bug or a feature depending on your intent).

7 Endurance Reserve (70 points end)

3 Recovery (-2 Recovers Only on Charger) (10 active points)

2 Recovery (Natural Battery Recovery Extra time 1 Minute -1/2) 3 Active points

Total 12 Points Cost That should allow for the player to hit a couple times and retreat. Also allow the player to fly after a long rest and should meet your goals of Making life interesting for the player.

This would need play testing but what doesn't.

(This Wooden Nickle is provided by LoresLost at no charge.)

My player had something similar to say about the character yesterday. He felt he couldn't do everything he intended to do at all times. He had to land to rest every once in a while, couldn't keep his shield running all the time, etc.

I'm going to have to look into integrating this.