SuperHero Creation Mishap.

Ragdoll

I'm needing some help in a certain area of character story creation. Any help is appreciated.

Two people, a man and a woman, a married couple doing research into extra-dimensional energies as alternative energy sources. A mishap causes their minds to swap into the bodies of doubles from alternate earths. Meanwhile their original bodies and doubles bodies are pulled through the accidental portal and are pulled into each others respective universes, while the original minds remain in tact. Just in totally different bodies.

Now the wife has the body of her double, and the husband is in much the same boat.

Here's the problem. Both of the alternate bodies are totally alien. He can't hope to pass for human any more, and while she can, her new body is now only 3 feet in height.

My question is this. Are their normal lives essentially over? I planned to have them become a duo and fight crime together, but I'm wondering about the impact it will have on their original lives.

What are their options, barring high technology hologram generators or the like that would make them 'look' normal again.

Any help's appreciated, thanks. :)

Re: SuperHero Creation Mishap.

Both are scientists so, while their social lives are possible down the drain, I can see them bluffing their way through the work part.

She may only be 3 feet tall, but if the only people seeing her are via a video phone or similar that won't matter (just make sure to clear any items that may be used for height comparison and stand very near the camera on a chair). Meanwhile, if he sounds normal (even if he doesn't look it) he can 'always bo too busy to come to the phone' and can call out from off camera anything that 'he' specifically needs to say.

If people insist that they talk directly to him? Well the high EM fields that the couple are working with choose that time to interupt the visual signal don't they?

Of couse the EM field excuse works for any time that you don't want people seeing you.

Consider (for the purposes of this example she is Helen, he is Jim, caller is Tony):

The phone rings while the duo are in the lab. This causes the pre-recorded sound of concordes to start near the microphone...

Tony: "Hello Helen. Wow your standing close to the screen"

Helen (Shouting over the sound of concordes): "Have too Tony. Can't hear a thing over the field, Jim's still working on a way to dampen the noise. So what's up?"

Tony: "Actually I really wanted to talk to Jim."

Helen: "He's a little busy, Like a said the noise..."

Jim (shouting from off camera): "Who is it dear?"

Helen:"It's Tony he needs to speak to you."

Jim: "Can you take a message, the sonic dampeners are AHH! ... wow tha's going to need work!"

Helen: "Sorry Tony, can I take a message?"

Tony: "No sorry I really need to talk to him. Can you take over reapairs?"

Helen: "I'll see..." presses the button behind her back which causes the screen to go wonky...

Jim (now near the screen): "Damn it Tony what is it?"

Tony "Is everything alright the pictures gone out?"

Jim: "EM fields, playing havic with everything in here. Get to the point, what was so important?"

Tony: "It's about Helen's birthday present. I'm having trouble finding a portable hologramatic generator... what does she need it for anyway?"

Jim: "You know women, want a new look every day. Thought the 7 billion price tag would be cheaper than keeping up with her need to change her hair ... OW" Helen hits him, Tony can't see it, of course "look the EM field getting high enough that the screens giving off sparks, I need to go, just see what you can do."

Screen turns off

Jim turns to Helen "Well that went well"

Helen: "My hair?"

Jim "Only thing I could think of..."

Of course looks wouldn't even factor into it if there was 'too much disturbance for Video phones' and they needed to just use normal phones.

Of course if anyone wanted to visit the lab it would be at a 'highly sensitive time, can't have visitors'.

Not sure what to do about their social lives, unless they want to get into on-line in a big way.

Might they have friends and/or relatives they could trust with their secret? Their help could solve a lot of problems. Especially if one of those people could assist with disguises.

Keep in mind, though, that being 3 feet tall is extremely hard to disguise in public. I'm not sure what the husband's physical challenges are.

You may have painted yourself into a corner.

I've latched onto the idea of the husband inheriting a small building and inheritance from his grandfather. What used to be private lab/research facility. His wife will have been a professor at a local university, and agreed to work on his line of research. Both having been working in the field of theoretical physics. They have a small gaggle of followers, graduate students of his wife and working for them for their thesis work. The followers could help out tremendously after their accident, and even help keep a lid on their other activities. I'll just need to have the two characters share the cost of the base/building I build for them.

Of course, it still 'tanks' their social lives. But their conditions 'after' the accident does make it rather hard for them to go out in public without stares.