Absorption.

NovaStorm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to make a Character that Absorbs both Physcial and Energy Attacks, now it seems that in order to Absorb both I need to buy Absroption twice. However this means that the Maximum of what I can Absorb (I'm thinking about 40 points) would be doubled (40 points from Energy, and 40 from Physical) which I don't want.

However I don't want to lower the Max limit on them, because I want to be able to Absorb 40 pts from either Physical or Energy.

Is there an already existing way to do this? If not, what would be an appropriate Cost for an Advantage?

Thanks.

Re: Absorption.

Expand on Varying Effect (+3/4) which let's a character switch Absorption from one phase to the next between Physical and Energy.

I would say a +1 Advantage "Absorbs Both Physical + Energy" is appropriate. You're effectively "buying it twice" but avoid the whole messy issue of two Powers acting as one.

The problem I have with that is that to share an Pool of Points to Absorb to... you'd then Limit both Powers.

I might be inclined to say that "Share Pool Of Points For Maximum" is worth -1/4 as a Limitation.

As far as I know - there is no book legal way to build two Separate Aborptions that share a Total Maximum.

Buying two Absorbs; One Energy and One Physical, say both at 5D6m gives you a grand total of 60 Points you can Absorb, not a grand total of 30 like the OP asked.

Is it a Limit to absorb both types to one attack, or an Advantage? I guess would be the underlying question.

I'm unaware of any book legal option - which simply means "limited power".

A +1 Advantage seems excessive - that's enough to buy both Absorbs separately and have a separate pool for each. 1d6 costs 5 points, and +6 to the maximum costs 3 points, so a 60% reduction to one of the two powers (a -1.5 limitation to one of the two powers) is the maximum reasonable cost savings.

Given that, a +1/2 advantage on a single Absorbtion power ("absorbs both physical and energy, but capped at a single maximum for both put together") seems about right - that's just marginally more expensive than buying both together and selling back the limit on one.

The fact that this is less than the suggested +3/4 to switch between physical and energy phase by phase seems, to me, a strong indication that the +3/4 advantage is vastly overpriced. You could have taken a Multipower of Physical Absorb and Energy Absorb for 120% of the cost of the base Absorbtion, and had a doubled limit if you could absorb enough of each type of attack - how does paying 175% of the price make any sense?

This seems a trend in several 5e products - if it departs from the usual rules, let's make it overpriced. I dislike this approach in a game that is supposed to be a toolkit to build any character you can imagine. Pricing some concepts inefficiently high seems a violation of that promise, at least to me.

I thought about it overnight, and came to a similar final conclusion.

I think, actually, that buying the two Separately and applying a -1/2 Limitation to each is more appropriate for similar reasons that Hugh pointed out. It's not 'fair' to double the price and halve the effect.

I might even go so far as to say that both Absorptions could even take Linked to each other were I feeling generoues.

But it's definitely not an Advantage.

-1/2 on each seems a reasonable result - that makes the overall cost 4/3 of the cost of buying a single Absorbtion power with no limitations (133 1/3%) compared to 140% to buy both powers and "sell back" the increased limit at 1 point per 2 points of maximum points absorbed. -1/2 on each power is the closest we're going to get.